Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Line 6 PODxt

Crazy Fingers

I'm sure the tube purists out there are going to hate me for this but I got a Line 6 PODxt for Christmas and I love it! I don't play out live anymore so I only play in my little MIDI production studio and this thing gives me tons of killer sounds plugged directly into the board. Anybody else out there have one of these?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, cool, congrats! Glad you're so happy with it! Russclan's right, don't forget to take a break now and then to eat or sleep!

I love a good tube-amp, but I actually spend most of my playing time plugged into a digital modeler and headphones, albeit with the help of a bunch of cool analog pedals, as well.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Hey, thanks everyone! I must admit, that thing is addictive! But you're right about eating and sleeping! I also should probably spend some time with my family too!

Make 'em learn to play bass, drums, keys...

I have the PodXTLive, same thing except in a floor box with lots of footswitches. For playing through headphones and recording it can't be beat. I haven't been as pleased with amplifying it, I've tried lots of options including regular amps, PA, keyboard amp, and the Atomic, and none of these sounds as good as through the headphnones, much less a good tube amp. But overall it's a great product, especially if you live in an apartment.

I have the PodXTLive, same thing except in a floor box with lots of footswitches. For playing through headphones and recording it can't be beat. I haven't been as pleased with amplifying it, I've tried lots of options including regular amps, PA, keyboard amp, and the Atomic, and none of these sounds as good as through the headphnones, much less a good tube amp.

I've had similar experiences, particularly concerning trying to amplify digital-modeling for "live" playing. Hmmnn... what's the secret to those Spider Valve amps, besides their having a robust tube output-section?

Hey, thanks everyone! I must admit, that thing is addictive! But you're right about eating and sleeping! I also should probably spend some time with my family too!

congrats on finding the Line6 that you like, and for thinking about spending more time with the family...

Take care, Larryz

... I don't play out live anymore ....

For me it was the opposite... staying home I can hear all the junk in the emulators that I hate and I want to use my best guitars and amps and effects; while playing out I don't much care, the ambient noise hides all the benefits tot he better sounding rig and I'm just as happy to play through the RP300 or whatever.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

I have the PodXTLive, same thing except in a floor box with lots of footswitches. For playing through headphones and recording it can't be beat. I haven't been as pleased with amplifying it, I've tried lots of options including regular amps, PA, keyboard amp, and the Atomic, and none of these sounds as good as through the headphnones, much less a good tube amp.

I've had similar experiences, particularly concerning trying to amplify digital-modeling for "live" playing. Hmmnn... what's the secret to those Spider Valve amps, besides their having a robust tube output-section?

I've got an older POD (I find the Vox models really useful). I've had good results live running it into the power amp of my boogie...so kinda like the spider valve idea, I guess. Would like to check one of those out sometime...

Guitar Speak Podcast

www.guitarspeakpodcast.libsyn.com

https://www.facebook.com/guitarspeakpodcast

www.itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/guitar-speak-podcast

I'm sure the tube purists out there are going to hate me for this but I got a Line 6 PODxt for Christmas and I love it!

I don't think tube purists like myself have anything valid to say about what you like or do not like. In fact a PodXT is an excellent modeler, I had one for several years, and it was very useful in recording, and I am not at all ashamed of the tones I posted on my Soundclick page using that XT, or The Tonelab I still have, or the Digitech GNX2 I still have. I don't use modelers in my live playing anymore (I do use one harmony patch on the GNX2 for one tune I do) but I always use the Tonelab as my go to preamp for recording. I put a tube distortion stomp in front for overdrives and it sounds almost as good as any miked up tube amp. And the cleans of the Tonelab are stellar.

So enjoy your purchase, us tube snobs opinions don't really matter if you like your gear. After all an opinion is not a FACT it is only an opinion. And opinions are pretty common and very varied.

I've got the Line 6 KB37 which is basically a tricked out POD with a 3-octave keyboard on it. It has mic inputs, phantom power and makes a great audio interface. I like the guitar modeler quite a bit but I really like the zero latency when I'm recording with it on my computer. I use it as much as I use my Didgidesign Digi002 Rack when I record. And it was comparatively cheap!

The Digidesign 11 or whatever it is called sounds pretty cool from the video clips I have seen.

The new Spidervalve Mk II is amazing. It has X3 modelling and really good effects. I tried one stateside and was impressed.

I think that the design of the Spidervalve is superior to running a POD XT or X3 into a poweramp. I am no expert on electronics or amp design, but I believe alot of work went into the design of it. That includes the 12ax7 tubes in it which I have heard are there to warm it up before it hits the power section.

In any event it works 100% to my ears/fingers. But I have owned the last version of that amp--so I know how it works and how to get tones. But if you aren't going to crank up the master volume--and channel volume forget about it sounding or reacting tubey.

But I do find that this amp sounds better at low volumes than the original Spidervalve, and the amp models sound better too. Less gainy.

But that is how X3 is--better.

But of course if you want super high gain death metal distortion--the SV or the SVII can deliver.

I tend to like the tones more from rock/blues tones. I did like the hi gain yelow which sounded like old VH.

I've been using a POD XT Live and Variax 600 live for quite a while, and yes, I can tell a difference between a REAL tube amp and guitar & it, very much so on some of the patches. But no one else seems to be able to, and it is the most versatile setup I have ever had the joy of working with. So, I'll probably keep playing it. It works, and why mess around with a successful setup?

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I did own a few tube amps in my lifetime and yes, there is nothing else like it! Warm, touch sensitive, organic. But at this point in my life, I'm doing most of my playing from 5:00 AM to 6:00 AM so miking a cranked up tube amp while the rest of the family is sleeping just wouldn't work out! The PODxt is a satisfying replacement and really gets me playing! To sum it up, there ain't nuthin' like the real thing but the POD gets me close enough!

I use to use a PodXT/Atomic live. I never had any problems or complaints about tone but the Atomic is very directional. I guess that is a by-product of being closed back. I couldn't always be heard on the other side of the room unless I also went through the PA.

I switched to a VettaII combo to get extra effects without having to schlep around an additional pedal board with the Atomic. The Vetta isn't nearly as directional but I still run through the PA so I don't have to blast my stage volume. I'm usually standing very near my amp due to stage size.

Crazy Fingers, if you haven't already check out Institute of Noise

AZ has a nice database of patches that you can play around with. The Tone Locker, Line 6's patch sharing database, also has some good tones.

Also check what version of the firmware you have. Over the years they have released several updates with some added goodies.

I recorded my band's most recent CD using the XT Live and Variax. It sounded great right into the board, and the Octavia even gave me a snippet of feedback at just the right note, although the monitors weren't turned up loud at all. Great tele sounds, strat sounds, acoustic on one track, and the overdrive and amp simulation was flawless. My engineer was much happier with the XT Live than with miking an amp. Sound samples can be found here: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/trickbag or here: http://trickbagmusic.com
Always bow to the groove

Hey funkifized, great sounds and nice grooves! And "Chelmsfahd" is right around the corner from me, too! Is every guitar sound on the CD the XT? I've only had my POD for a month now and it rocks! I haven't laid down any tracks yet but I'll post them here when I do! Good to hear you gettin' down on the "one"!

Crazy Fingers, if you haven't already check out Institute of Noise

Az is cool I used to hang out with him on the Pod Forums and The Watering Hole, (A private forum that descended from the pod Forums). I also met him at the 07 NAMM Show at the Atomic Booth in Anaheim. A good guy.

I have a Pocket Pod ($129) that I run into a Roland JC-55 (baby JC-120) and it sounds great.

I've been editing and saving patches that are just basic, unaffected amp tones (except for maybe a touch of compression or reverb) with the EQ settings that I like, and running those into the JC-55 with all the tone controls set for flat response (12 o'clock).

Sure, it doesn't really feel or respond like real tubes but it's still a lot of fun to play and explore all the different tones. The Vox and Champ patches are particularly cool, and I've been playing with the Marshall JTM patch a lot too. It's great for those times I want to play through an amp, but can't/don't want to fire up my tube amp.

XT still sounds great--but X3 is incredible!!

I think it is an improvement. Especially the gainy models which to me are too compressed and synthetic in XT.

When we recorded, I used XT alot, but I only chose models with mild bluesy gain. Otherwise it seemed to become too compressed and 'modelesque' feeling and sounding.

Now if you are discussing Spidervalve MK II--that sounds incredible!! But that is X3 models and effects through a bogner designed amp with a nice tube power section.

I LOVE THAT AMP!!!! The new one especially.

Archived