Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

For your local dentist's office wall...

picker

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, in this case, it's supposed to be a replica of a specific guitar; either you want such a replica, or you don't.

I personally would rather have a guitar that is less a duplicate replica, that just focuses on copping the tone and feel of its inspiration, though perhaps with some of the effects of age and wear, such as a worn or non-existent finish on the back of the neck, "rolled" fretboard edges, "aged"/weakened/degaussed magnets in the pickups- the things that count for sound and playability, not the superficial cosmetic "aging".

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

The cheapest model was 11 grand...for that kind of money I'd have Gibson build me a custom model and like Scott said no "freaking scratches or dents on it"...I'm not down with chop shop guitars either, to include Fenders...I mean I like Page and all but 25 grand would be a lot to pay for the signed model...dentists and gyn's can have'em...IMHO.
Take care, Larryz

I have to admit, that's one beautiful guitar! But that's A LOT of coin for a piece of wood and some hardware! I'm sure their marketing department confirmed that there was a market for a few of these babies BEFORE they started making them. For that price, Pagey would need to deliver it to me and spend the day jamming!

I own a couple of relics (a Fender '72 Custom Shop and a Nash TC-63 Tele). I really don't care if they're meant to look aged, but they FEEL spectacular. The necks are PERFECT. Another bonus is that I can keep my shiny guitar polish OCD at bay and just enjoy playing them.

I do agree that paying an outrageous premium for the privilege of playing a new instrument made to LOOK old is lame. I'm pleased with the prices I played for mine.

This Les Paul and Gibbons' "Pearly Gates" and the other replicas are really only for collectors, not players, as far as I can tell. While they may play well, Gibson and Fender are trading on history and collectible, rather than player appeal, IMO.

Nash-customized Gibson Les Paul, Godin Progression Plus

Quilter MicroPro Mach 2.0

Who else could afford this?

I don't like Les Paul's, too heavy and mucho bad upper fret access. Not the right guitar for me at any price. In fact I gave the last one I had to my kid, and I never missed it a bit. My SG sounds almost the same, a little brighter but similar. And it be light and easy to get to the 22nd fret.

Plus I would never buy a signature model guitar, I don't like any player that much to pay through the nose for a guitar that is similar to one I could get for one tenth the price.

I own a couple of relics (a Fender '72 Custom Shop and a Nash TC-63 Tele). I really don't care if they're meant to look aged, but they FEEL spectacular. The necks are PERFECT. Another bonus is that I can keep my shiny guitar polish OCD at bay and just enjoy playing them.

I do agree that paying an outrageous premium for the privilege of playing a new instrument made to LOOK old is lame. I'm pleased with the prices I played for mine.

This Les Paul and Gibbons' "Pearly Gates" and the other replicas are really only for collectors, not players, as far as I can tell. While they may play well, Gibson and Fender are trading on history and collectible, rather than player appeal, IMO.

You've got a couple of real Fender classics and no doubt the Custom Shop did a great job...I'd just prefer the new look using the same feel/electronics etc...IMHO.

Take care, Larryz

Archived