Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT .... New Year Resolutions ...

Dave Horne

I copied the following article from an 17 Aug 2009 Time magazine for a friend at the fitness club I go to every day.

I'm sure many of us plan to lose weight this year. The following article is an eye opener.

Why Exercise Won't Make You Thin

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's true. It's all diet. and have you ever noticed that you can get in shape at the gym, but it doesn't make anybody any better looking - just more cut. Ugly in - ugly out...but I love working out. It just won't make me any better looking - just more in shape.
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

Psychologically, New Years resolutions such as losing weight are beneficial because they offer a definite starting point, and perhaps more importantly, allow you to capitalize on the support from others who are doing the same thing you are. Just my unsolicited .02 cents.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

While that is true, the flip side is people often make too many resolutions or ones that are too much. They also make goals without a clear workable plan.

I studied Deming when I worked at GM, and one of the points he used to make was about goals such as "increase sales by 20%" or "reduce waste by 10%." He would reply, "by what means?" You can't just pick a number out of the air and shoot for it. It could be impossible to increase sales that much because your market may not be large enough, or you may not have the manpower/time to achieve that.

The weight loss thing is similar. You may want to lose 30 pounds, but do you know how? Can you realistically do the things necessary to make that number? People set these impossible goals and get disappointed when they don't make them.

There's my $0.02 on the subject. :)

I thought the original article was a good one. Portion size and diet are way more important to weight loss than exercise. That said, sedentary lifestyle is bad too, but mainly for other reasons.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

To find balance in my life. New relatinship, new job and gear and fiding a way to balance it all.

... probably should add a spell checker to that list as well.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

While that is true, the flip side is people often make too many resolutions or ones that are too much. They also make goals without a clear workable plan.

I studied Deming when I worked at GM, and one of the points he used to make was about goals such as "increase sales by 20%" or "reduce waste by 10%." He would reply, "by what means?" You can't just pick a number out of the air and shoot for it. It could be impossible to increase sales that much because your market may not be large enough, or you may not have the manpower/time to achieve that.

The weight loss thing is similar. You may want to lose 30 pounds, but do you know how? Can you realistically do the things necessary to make that number? People set these impossible goals and get disappointed when they don't make them.

There's my $0.02 on the subject. :)

I thought the original article was a good one. Portion size and diet are way more important to weight loss than exercise. That said, sedentary lifestyle is bad too, but mainly for other reasons.

Very good, Joe! Although I don't find this to be much of a departure from classic motivational theory (e.g., McClelland): select specific, moderately challenging, yet attainable goals and provide frequent feedback of progress toward goal attainment.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I don't really believe in New Year's resolutions as a rule, but actually did make one this year.

I said I would take my two great danes for a nice walk, each and every day, regardless of the weather!

So far, three days in . . . we're batting a thousand!

They really need to get out more (and it doesn't hurt me either).

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m278/raycooke/Stuff/DSCF0031.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m278/raycooke/Stuff/DSCF0024.jpg

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

Very good, Joe! Although I don't find this to be much of a departure from classic motivational theory (e.g., McClelland): select specific, moderately challenging, yet attainable goals and provide frequent feedback of progress toward goal attainment.
Thanks, I consider that quite a compliment coming from someone with such behavioral knowledge as yourself.

I also want to say that I think it's good to have dreams, like "I want to weigh X," so long as you are realistic about those dreams. There are some places I want to play gigs or artists I want to play with, but I'm not gonna kick myself for not making those dreams. I'm going to do what's realistic and have fun in the process. If those dreams start to become attainable, then I'll set them as actual goals.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I'm losing 50 lbs. - and have tangible (but ultimately managable) health reasons that require me to do so.

Started late in 2009 - down 30 now, 20 to go.

My Dr.'s want me to keep it to 2-3 pounds a week - so I should hit my target around March. Given my lifestyle and diet changes, which are permanent, the struggle has been to eat a little bit extra to keep pounds on, and not lose it too fast.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

Beautiful dogs, Meisenhower!

There not a dog that a small horse ... You could ride those suckers .... :wave:

SK2 /w Mini Vent / XK3 Pro System /w 142 Leslie, Roland D70, Korg SP250 B3 1959 (retired) , Porta B (retired), XB2 (retired)

Archived