Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: The Flaming Lips do Pink Floyd Dark Side

Mogut

I figured since we've had so many heated discussions over our beloved Pink Floyd, I would mention this new album. DSOTM

A lot of people are posting comments and are hating it. But I think a bands version of DS is a way cool idea.

Have a listen to the demo's... pretty interesting. The vocals "stood out" to me.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/the-dark-side-of-the-moon/id346025381

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anything hair metal is junk music. I could have gone without seeing this wasp vid. Metal is so fake and passionless. Glad its dead. I'll take pearl jam over any metal always.

I cant believe I liked that music as a youngster.

-Greg

Anything hair metal is junk music. I could have gone without seeing this wasp vid. Metal is so fake and passionless. Glad its dead. I'll take pearl jam over any metal always.

I cant believe I liked that music as a youngster.

This statement convinces me that you didn't bother listening to the song, because they played the song as written, only Blackie Lawless sang it much, much better than Vedder.

The glossy wasp studio cover? Apples to apples? NO!

Get lawless on stage these days and lets here him do a one take.

Sure thing. After I found that little number, I went browsing through a massive catalog of WASP material including a ton of recent live footage.

[video:youtube]

[video:youtube]

Forgive the audio quality, these guys obviously didn't have access to the mixing board the way the Pearl Jam recordist did. ;)

PS: I'm not raising this argument as a "Blackie is better than Eddie as a vocalist" thing, I'm saying Eddie's deep baritone was a bad fit for that song, where Blackie is a pure tenor who can scream for days (and has done so for 30 odd years) and is hence able to execute the song much easier.

LOL What on earth happened to this thread? :laugh:

If you admit that Lawless' voice is much better suited to that song than Vedder's, I'll leave in peace. :D

Well I certainly have no basis to defend Vedders performance, but I just cant stand metal, and metal vocals.

Hell, Adam Sandler and Jim Breuer can emulate metal vocals with ease... ITS FAKE!

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75ewRjoI7QU

-Greg

Wow, Flaming Lips and Pearl Jam all in one thread. All we have to do is throw U2 and Coldplay in here and we have a good start to the KC All-Time Massive Suck Hall of Fame...

I figured throwing WASP in there was a jumpstart to such an effort. :D

Their current quitarist in those videos and the longtime drummer (1991 to 2005) were huge in the Hartford bars in the mid 80s as part of a metal tro showband called Run 21.

That's all the good I have to say about WASP and the Lips performing covers.

The Lips are best when being the Lips and layering all those great keys together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mMC5CWTT0s&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AcCAXZNzDY

Hell, Adam Sandler and Jim Breuer can emulate metal vocals with ease... ITS FAKE!

We have a major disconnect here, where you think Brian Johnson qualifies as "metal" vocals, and I think Brian Johnson is a tenor-clamp fitted screaming meemee, singing over the same tired old rock riff Angus Young has been playing for 35 years. It wasn't metal back in '72 when he first started playing it, and it isn't metal now.

Here... I win :wave:

Yes, because that's exactly relevant to the discussion, isn't it? :rolleyes:

Look, I get that you hate metal, and are perfectly willing to drag all manner of straw men and non sequitur into the conversation in order to continue hammering that point home.

It doesn't change the fact that Vedder's performance of "The Real Me" was barely competent, because it is essentially out of his vocal range.

It doesn't change the fact that Vedder's performance of "The Real Me" was barely competent, because it is essentially out of his vocal range.

The guy had a bad song... it happens to everyone. Gee, talk about hammering a point. Christ we heard you the first 47 times. :D

Although I'm not a big Vedder fan, Wasp's cover, as a whole, sounds stagnant to me . There might have been a time when I thought it was great, I suppose. But I had much to discover in those days. :bor:

-Greg

I'm almost at the point that I never want to hear anyone covering anything, ever, unless they completely rearrange the song to make it something brand new.

And I thought you keyboard weenies were supposed to be more open-minded about music! What's with this "I hate everything in (insert genre)!" vibe? If you can't find something good in metal, in jazz, in hip-hop, in prog, in classical, in techno, in pop, and so on, I feel sympathy for ya.

And I thought you keyboard weenies were supposed to be more open-minded about music! What's with this "I hate everything in (insert genre)!" vibe? If you can't find something good in metal, in jazz, in hip-hop, in prog, in classical, in techno, in pop, and so on, I feel sympathy for ya.

This, emphatically.

Although our resident curmudgeon, Mr. Horne, hates everything but classical and jazz, so maybe it's rubbing off on others. :freak:

I may be a weenie, but I'm not close minded about music. Hair metal and heavy rock were the genre I favored most for the majority of my life. I know it all, intimately. But now I can't bare to hear or watch the hair bands. Men acting and looking like girls, with arrogance at maximum capacity, all the while the music is empty with no passion or feeling. Verse, chorus verse chorus guitar solo, chorus... Formula never EVER deviated from. Junk I say!

-Greg

Archived