Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Music that's firing you up?

Tonysounds

With HannaKwanzMas behind us, and its

gift giving (and shopping, which sometimes results in that furtive "I need this!" purchase), have you discovered some new music that is really getting you fired up?

For me, the new Transatlantic cd "The Whirling" is really good! The bonus disc is a little so-so, but there's a great cover of Soul Sacrifice on there. The main cd though is brilliant, quite possibly their best album yet.

Also, I watched "It Might Get Loud" this week, and even though it's not keyboard oriented, I found it very fascinating.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm loving much of the new Alicia Keys album, The Element of Freedom. There's a strong Prince influence, and though most of the songs are mid-tempo, the "quiet storm" vibe really works for her. I think it's her best album yet. :thu:

I saw Cuddle Magic recently and bought both their CD's. Good stuff. They are a large pop band (10-12 players depending on the night) from Brooklyn and Philly. I believe they are all recent grads of the New England conservatory of music. For people who like Sufjan Stevens. Here is a link.

http://www.cuddle-magic.com/

Also like the recent records from Imogen Heap and Bruce Hornsby (which really surprised me in it's breadth...hadn't bought anything from him since the 80's.)

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

I'm loving much of the new Alicia Keys album, The Element of Freedom. There's a strong Prince influence, and though most of the songs are mid-tempo, the "quiet storm" vibe really works for her. I think it's her best album yet. :thu:

Hmmm. I'll have to give that another listen. I bought it the day iTunes told me it was out (I love her!), listened to most of it before bed that night, and liked it a lot. But, I then went back to listening to my "work list" for my NYE gig, and haven't listened since.

This long weekend I need to just sit down with some "enjoy" music and stop with the "work" music for a bit. :D

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

I remember those days of discovering new music/artist/bands. Seems like so long ago. :laugh:

Nowadays, I discover individual tracks thanks to XM radio. It helps that the artist/song is listed. :)

A few of those tunes even pass ITGITC?'s repeated listening test. :D:cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I'm very excited about BT's new album: http://bt.tumblr.com/post/279305273/bt-returns-with-long-awaited-sixth-album-these

He's the same guy who did This Binary Universe, which was given a great review in Keyboard mag when in came out. I've already purchased the single for "Every Other Way", and it's great. Although there's not a lot of "keyboard" work, BT's is always heavy on the synths and cleaver audio processing. This album looks like it's shaping up to be more like his album "Emotional Technology", with quasi indie-pop mixed with electronics galore.

The songs are long too. This song takes about 5 minuets to get to the first chorus: http://bt.tumblr.com/post/200693402/every-other-way-well-friends-and-loved

GIGO

I saw Cuddle Magic recently and bought both their CD's. Good stuff. They are a large pop band (10-12 players depending on the night) from Brooklyn and Philly. I believe they are all recent grads of the New England conservatory of music. For people who like Sufjan Stevens. Here is a link.

Wow, what a great band! Me likey! Thanks for mentioning.

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

Wow, what a great band! Me likey! Thanks for mentioning.

No problem...always glad to help a young innovative band get some notice.

When I saw them, they did something interesting for their sound. They didn't use the club PA at all, but simply put their own small PA in back of them on stage (with the keyboard and guitar amps), did their own mixing,and kept the volume at a pretty low level (presumably to prevent feedback). They invited everyone to sit right in front of the stage so that "you can hear what we are hearing." I think they believe they get a more interactive performances that way, i.e. everyone is hearing more or less the same thing. I'm sure their instrumentation (two percussionists, trumpet, rhodes, acoustic guitar, banjo, reed player, string bass, violin, vibraphone, xylophone, etc) probably presents problems for the average small club sound guy anyway. Also more akin to the way bluegrass musicians do their own "mixing" by moving toward and away from a common mike.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

When I saw them, they did something interesting for their sound. They didn't use the club PA at all, but simply put their own small PA in back of them on stage (with the keyboard and guitar amps), did their own mixing,and kept the volume at a pretty low level (presumably to prevent feedback). They invited everyone to sit right in front of the stage so that "you can hear what we are hearing." I think they believe they get a more interactive performances that way, i.e. everyone is hearing more or less the same thing. I'm sure their instrumentation (two percussionists, trumpet, rhodes, acoustic guitar, banjo, reed player, string bass, violin, vibraphone, xylophone, etc) probably presents problems for the average small club sound guy anyway. Also more akin to the way bluegrass musicians do their own "mixing" by moving toward and away from a common mike.

Damn hippies :mad::thu:

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

Archived