Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's Your New Year's Eve Gig?

Dave Pierce

On again, off again, on again, off again.

On again.

Off again.

Who knows?

This was going to be my first New Year's gig (in terms of Big Money gigs -- I've probably played lesser gigs on New Year's in the past and simply don't remember).

What a strange year it's been. Over twenty Big Money gigs were "in the bag" and yet only three of them happened. Most were canceled last-minute by the organisers (well, not so last-minute that they were obligated to pay us).

Cheers to those who landed good New Year's gigs. Even today I am seeing ads for last-minute bookings, but the band is so disillusioned by now that it's breaking up.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never play on New Year's Eve anymore.

Most often, I'm skiing for that holiday!! This year should be no exception!

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

Since then, we played two shows where we went from 3 sets down to 2 sets and it is noticeable how a larger number of people stick around rather then vanishing when the band goes on break. Not sure what we will do for NYE, but we have rehearsal this week to discuss our set strategy.

We mainly play fairly large dollar private events and we follow that exact strategy. If we start with jazz trio during dinner, we break and play canned music when the guests are finishing their final dinner course. Then, the entire band comes on and we generally play 2 hours with no break. If enough people are still there, we take 5 minutes and play it out. Of course, this depends on the age group, and most of our stuff is no more than 3 hours. When we first started years ago, if we broke around 10:00PM, a great number would leave during the break. Keeping them dancing rings the register and keeps everyone happy.

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

Hey Jim,

Not to derail my own thread, but I just went to your band's website right now and get a real good belly laugh from the "Band Security" section.

That's one hell of a tough looking security staff the Pure Platinum Band has! :D

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Hey Jim,

Not to derail my own thread, but I just went to your band's website right now and get a real good belly laugh from the "Band Security" section.

That's one hell of a tough looking security staff the Pure Platinum Band has! :D

--Dave

They are viscous attack dogs. We need them to fend off the rabid, ancient fans...

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

We're playing NYE at a club that has become our home base. We play there at least a couple times a month, usualy Friday & Saturday.

For NYE we're going in there for 3X the normal pay, then playing Friday & Saturday for normal. Should be a LOT of fun. It's a Woodstock theme, so I've let the beard grow, and I'll be wearing tie-dye. Our slide player creates all of our posters, and this one is really cool.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2623/4222505522_a6cb194080_o.jpg

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Speaking of taking breaks...

Anyways, the 3 hour set was frickin' awesome and it raised the stakes for our show.

Man, I love it when bands do that! I saw Midnite, a reggae band, segue between every song and play all night without a break! The vibe was so high...

This NYE I'm playing with a 10-piece funk/soul cover band, The Real Deal. My main band has been deliberately pricing themselves out of the market on NYE for the last few years, which suits me just fine.

With the Real Deal, everything is easy. Learn the tunes at home, show up with only my Electro, and play the charts. The singer knocks me out! She is a big milk-fed American girl who eats steaks and fried-chicken, not one of these tiny folk-singing kale-and-tofu girls we have in Vermont :D , and when we do Aretha songs she nails it.

I played 2 1/2 hours straight during my biggest Christmas party earlier this month. I do it every year for these guys. It's one of the reasons that I keep getting the gig back.

They book a country club until 11:00, and after dinner and speeches that's all the time left. So rather than break it up I go straight through. And yeah - it does keep the energy up and keeps everyone there. This year the dance floor was never empty. Every song had some dancers and most had quite a few.

Normally I have to pee as much as the next middle-age guy but somehow the waterworks shut down when I'm on stage.

Normally I have to pee as much as the next middle-age guy but somehow the waterworks shut down when I'm on stage.

Usually about the longest sets we ever do are 1-1/2 hrs. I have a hard time going any longer than that without peeing... Unless I restrict fluid consumption, but then that becomes rough on the voice, and I sing quite a bit. If we try to stretch it any more, then something's going to detract from the performance - concentrating on crossing my legs and not wetting myself, or a rough, dry singing voice. Generally, even if it's a very short one, I think strategically placed breaks are ultimately better for the show.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Dan I sang every song in that 2 1/2 hour set. I'm always the lead singer - and these days I'm the usually the only singer. I never take liquids to the stage. For my singing voice it just makes things worse. Everyone's different I guess.

And I'm really getting off the subject of NYE - sorry guys.

relaxing next day after our NYE the gig [obviously our times are different so we are already about 4 o clock in afternoon next day.]

been off the circuit for 7 years, so first NYE gig in a while, and second gig since coming back to band gigging

fantastic audience, easy parking, everything went to plan, only downer they put on a guest DJ [really just one of their patrons with a laptop...big deal] who pumped the volume very loud, and then a guest guitarist and singers who continued as loud as they could, but other than that a great start to my reintroduction into band work.

happy new year from down under

Archived