Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

K4 Voicing ?

theGman

I must be a dork but I can't notice much actual difference between the various Voicing settings on my Traynor K4 amp.

What should I be looking for exactly?

Can any of you more fine-tuned guys clue me in, or are there others like me out there?

Merry Christmas from snowy, icy Virginia...

Thanks, Paul

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paul -

I've got a manual for the K4 somewhere here; should be able to locate it in the next day or so. It has more detailed descriptions of the Voicing settings than what I could find on Traynor's site.

All I could find on the site is that the settings are instrument related, and that they apply to Channel 1 only.

I'll post the Voicing settings here, as soon as I locate the manual.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

From the K4 manual that you can download here:

"A pair of 12AX7 tubes lends an inspired classic sound to Channel 1s stereo channel. These preamp tubes supply warmth while smoothing out harsh harmonic overtones (often associated with many modern Digital keyboards). The 12AX7s natural compression provides the kind of subtle dynamics that cant be properly emulated by most of todays digital workstations (DAWs). The warmth and character of vintage synthesizers and organs are also maintained.

Channel 1 also features a Tube Overdrive control, for those who like to add some grit to their playing. Depending on the level selected, your sound can embrace in the warmth of a vintage glow or burn with the aggression of full-on overdrive. Use this feature to add body to a sterile keyboard tone, or recreate it entirely in the image of classic tube tone. A single-latching footswitch, like our AFS-1, can be used to enable the Lead/Overdrive feature. If a footswitch is connected, control by the front panel switch is disabled. Additional tonal control is provided by the three-band EQ and 5-position voicing preset switch (Bypass, Studio, Live, Piano, Organ). And for those times when the cleanest signal path possible is preferred, a switch toggles between either the tube preamp or a Solid-State signal

path (bypassing the tube on the input altogether)."

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

Paul,

I never noticed much difference either. It certainly did not add any magic IMHO.

It's nothing like a channel of Speakeasy pre.

I kept mine on solid state signal path and used my stage's effects & eq to tailor the sound if needed.

I've always left mine at Bypass or at Piano because that's I use the most. I've never really noticed a difference either. I'll probably play with it more because I don't have any gigs the next few days. If I notice anything worth mentioning I'll post.
Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

I really don't notice much difference in the available options from the amp. When you use the XLR outputs into a PA it does make a bit of a difference. Not enough that I would worry about which one was being used. Even the tubes don't make that much difference if the Keys being used are an upscale model.
SR guy thats finally decided to put his collection of toys to personal use (extremely G.A.S.'y) LOL

I'm actually glad to hear that you more experienced guys came to the same conclusion as did I.

It's funny; that voicing knob got "lost" at a gig, and it seems appropriate considering how much I don't use that setting.

• 3 weeks later...
I really don't notice much difference in the available options from the amp. When you use the XLR outputs into a PA it does make a bit of a difference. Not enough that I would worry about which one was being used. Even the tubes don't make that much difference if the Keys being used are an upscale model.

So does this mean that the sound you output to the PA does indeed change along with those settings on channel 1? i.e. tube vs solid, voicing settings, and overdrive?

Archived