Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Chip on my shoulder!

jlrush

So the wife and I are watching a PBS Christmas special tonight and they're playing a jazzed up version of 'Walkin in A Winter Wonderland'. Drums and bass are REALLY working a fast shuffle and I keep asking 'Where's the bass player?' I get a 1/4 second look of him a time or two and grump about how we don't get equal time.

Then the guit player gets his solo and it's really lame in comparison to the bass and drums. I comment, 'Ooh that was really great', and the wife says 'Sounds like you've got a chip on your shoulder', - 'about the size of a bass guitar'.

Who else has a bass guitar size chip on their shoulder?

Nyuk, nyuk.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not anymore. I've grown accustomed to being the fat guy in the back next to the drummer.

The spouse has noticed that bassists aren't feature promenently on some video music. I've grown past it. But it kills me when I can't get a long enough look to check out the gear.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Isn't that the reason why John Entwistle played bass solo's on "My Generation" ? I recall someone telling (or posting) this story, that The Who's manager suggested it because they'd shoot a video or a Top Of The Pops sort of TV appearance.

What kills me is when there's a bass solo and they show the guitarist comping chords. Like they don't get enough attention ... Happened in the latest Uriah Heep dvd that came with the Celebration album.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

It takes someone who loves you to notice your instrument is underappreciated and then accuses you of having the problem.

I'm with Flank - I wish they'd show enough so I could see some gear...

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Doesn't bother me. But then I reckon if it's fame and attention you want you've chosen the wrong instrument...

But as the saying goes, I am a typical well-balanced Scotsman...

I've got a chip on each shoulder.

Cheers!

Graham

(Uh-oh, I can hear it all getting a bit stressful downstairs with Christmas cooking, present wrapping etc going on.

And my youngest has just dropped me in it..."Mum, Dad's on the computer again!"

Time to go. Quickly.

www.talkingstrawberries.com - for rocking' blues, raw and fresh!

...I comment, 'Ooh that was really great', and the wife says 'Sounds like you've got a chip on your shoulder', - 'about the size of a bass guitar'...

Tell her "Hey, better that than a cow chip, especially a fresh one..." :rimshot:

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

But it kills me when I can't get a long enough look to check out the gear.

That was my main beef and usually is. It looked like the guy had a nice boutique bass with flamed maple and a large upper bout.

It takes someone who loves you to notice your instrument is underappreciated and then accuses you of having the problem.

LOL. Ain't it the truth.

www.themojoroots.com

I remember reading two nuggets of wisdom here some time back:

Guitar solos last about thirty seconds. Bass lines last for the entire song.

And my personal favorite:

The eyes in the room may be on the star, but their asses are shaking to the bass guitar.

Merry Christmas to all!!!!!

Do not be deceived by, nor take lightly, this particular bit of musicianship one simply describes as "bass". - Lowell George

"The music moves me, it just moves me ugly." William H. Macy in "Wild Hogs"

Try being the keyboard player. At least the gals sometimes mistake the bass player for the guitar player. I've been both, and neither get the attention they deserve.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I think you all may be giving television directors far more credit than they deserve. They like things easy and predictable. That means focusing on the singer or guitar player.

But they also may have a hard time communicating with their camera operators in a live music environment. I directed a live music tv show in college and communicating with the camera operators during a performance was next to impossible. Instead, I had to give the camera op's assignments before the show and trust that they would give me good shots because they had a very hard time hearing me over the headset intercom because the band was so loud.

Occassionally they get it right though. Look at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame concert. When there was actually a significant bass fill by Bob Glaub during Jackson Browne's performance of "The Pretender" they focused on Bob. That was cool. But that show was put together in post production, with multiple cameras that were recorded directly to server and it was put together in the edit suite. That gives the director a lot more time to put together a television show that will actually show the bass player.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Inconceivable!

I no think that word means what you think it means...

I knew somebody would pick up on that. :)

I didn't realize you were Sicilian, b5........

Do not be deceived by, nor take lightly, this particular bit of musicianship one simply describes as "bass". - Lowell George

"The music moves me, it just moves me ugly." William H. Macy in "Wild Hogs"

I didn't realize you were Sicilian, b5........

Ya never saw him get involved in a land war in Asia, didja?

Of course not. Doesn't everybody know that?

Well, it IS one of the classic blunders, after all...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

As you wish ...

I did get some time behind the camera at the Assembly Line Concert. Just three cameras and a control board to switch/fade/etc. All I can say is (1) it can be a challenge and (2) sometimes the guy calling the shots, uh, calls the shots.

As I've said before bass players haven't helped the matter by essentially being visually uninteresting.

I understand. We're a humble bunch. Let the frontman/woman do his/her job while we put 100% effort into creating the groove.

Doesn't have to be that way.

I'm not saying to upstage anyone. I'm just saying if the bass player is at least a little interesting to watch maybe the camera will take notice.

As I've said before bass players haven't helped the matter by essentially being visually uninteresting.

What you're doing in your avatar is MOST impressive. I haven't been able to do something like that in 40 years.

In the video from the Tim Bogert thread, I believe they thought he was the guitar player, the way he brought attention to himself.

www.themojoroots.com

Doesn't have to be that way.

I'm not saying to upstage anyone. I'm just saying if the bass player is at least a little interesting to watch maybe the camera will take notice.

A good example is Flea. Laying down a good groove while connecting with the audience. I'm not saying come out wearing nothing but a tube sock, although it would surely get some attention, but at least look like you are in the game and don't shoe gaze. Also I would think that if you ever find yourself on TV find the cameras and know where to stand to get the most face time.

I also used to do those back bends like you Eric, but that was 30 pounds and bigger stages ago. Now I'd need a spotter. Pathetic (face palm). I still dance around quite a bit if I have the room though.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

Archived