Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

(Cross post) Blues in all major and minor keys

Phil W

Apologies for cross-posting, (this post is also up on the bass and keys forums), I wanted to access the widest possible knowledge base:

My good friend Mike, who is a fabulous guitarist, had a great idea for a blogpost on his website. I wish I'd thought of it. As a practice tool, or just for the fun of it, Mike collected examples of tunes (mostly jazz tunes) using blues form in all 12 major and all 12 minor keys. He got stuck on Bb minor but I thought of Mingus' Boogie Stop Shuffle.

However, two keys remain undiscovered: E minor and F#/Gb minor.

You'd think there'd be loads of blues in E minor but they are surprisingly hard to find.

So, a request, have a read through Mike's list and if you can think of a recorded example of a minor blues in E minor or F# minor please let me (or Mike) know.

http://www.mikeoutram.com/wordpress/2009/12/blues-in-all-major-and-minor-keys.html

The other plus of Mike's post is that in the UK, the Spotify links allow us to hear the recordings for free as a playlist and play along.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmn; I'd think that some of Jimi's and SRV's stuff, among others, would qualify as played as/fingered as Em Blues, allowing for their mutual, usual half-step down-tuning to Eb.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Riders on the Storm by the Doors? is this really a blues tune?

It's a 12 bar blues structure, with D and C chords in the 9th and 10th bars as a twist.

If you imagine how it would sound if B.B. King were doing a cover of it, it works; imagine a segues from "The Thrill Is Gone" to "Riders On The Storm"...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Riders on the Storm by the Doors? is this really a blues tune?

It's a 12 bar blues structure, with D and C chords in the 9th and 10th bars as a twist.

If you imagine how it would sound if B.B. King were doing a cover of it, it works; imagine a segues from "The Thrill Is Gone" to "Riders On The Storm"...

So who recorded it as a blues? would like to hear it....if you have it on the website post a link and we can check it out....thankx..

went to the website and saw it on the list but when I went to the play it section it said I had to have spotify??

Take care, Larryz

You can follow the link

http://www.mikeoutram.com/wordpress/2009/12/blues-in-all-major-and-minor-keys.html

..but I'll cut and paste here.

C Major: Cheryl, Relaxin' At Camarillo, Turnaround, Perhaps, C Jam Blues

Db Major: Things Ain't What They Used To Be

D Major: D Natural Blues

Eb Major: Sandau, Bessie's Blues

E Major: Follow Your Heart, Mystery Train

F Major: Honky Tonk, [it's massively out of tune but hey, ho. Amazing solo, so that's ok. Sorry to all you perfect pitchers and people unable to retune their instruments :)] Billie's Bounce, Au Privave, Blues For Alice, Now's The Time, Barbados

F# Major: Mr. Day, Texas Flood

G Major: Night Train, Cross Court, All Blues

Ab Major: Freight Trane, Chi Chi

A Major: Go Get It

Bb Major: Blues On The Corner, Blue Monk, Vierd Blues, Mohawk, Parker's Mood, Bloomdido, Buzzy

B Major: H+H

C minor: Stolen Moments, Mr. P.C, Footprints, Babys Minor Lope, Spiderman, Nutville

C# minor: Equinox

D minor: Timeline, Isreal, Big P

Eb minor: Loose Bloose

E minor: Riders On The Storm

F minor: Green Onions, Interplay, Blues Walk, Evil Eye, Little Green Men

F# minor: I Put A Spell On You

G minor: Blues For Yna Yna, Nothing Personal, Talkin' 'bout J.C.

Ab minor: Up 'Gainst The Wall

A minor: Love That Burns, Loan Me A Dime

Bb minor: Boogie Stop Shuffle, Pursuance, One for Daddy-O

B minor: Hide And Seek, Five Spot After Dark

Follow the link anyway to Mike's excellent blog

Archived