Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: I may get to use my new snow blower

SteveC

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the northeast, we got started last weekend.

In an incredibly accidental move, I took out my snowblower 2 weeks earlier to find that I couldn't get it started. I knew that was bad, because I wasn't going to have time to take it apart and figure it out (I'm only average with these things).

On Friday, they predicted lots of snow for Saturday night. I was working from home and threw the thing in the car. Got it back the next day (gas/carb full of water), and was ready when the blizzard hit. Lucky!

FYI - it is too big for me to lift, and I didn't have any wood long enough to use as a ramp. I pushed up on the handle and slid a 14" box under the wheels. I was then able to pivot and tilt the weight on to the liftgate of my Element. The toughest part was finding a box that was the right height and strong enough. Can you guess? I wrapped a Berg 112 in a flannel sheet and used that - worked great!!

(I don't picture Jim B using that in his sales literature...)

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I'm one of those crazy people who prefer to shovel by hand, even though I have a very large driveway...100 feet long and it widens to 60 feet for half of it. And then there are the 3 decks, a patio, and a sidewalk I like to keep clean...

But, I may have to get someone to snowblow for me for a couple months as I am recovering from a torn Achilles tendon.

I'm one of those crazy people who prefer to shovel by hand, even though I have a very large driveway...100 feet long and it widens to 60 feet for half of it. And then there are the 3 decks, a patio, and a sidewalk I like to keep clean...

That was me last year. I thought I'd see how bad it was before I spent the money on a snow blower. Well...

Shoveling some snow is fine. I do that, too. But today I went out to 12" on the driveway, and about 20 piled up from the plow at the end of the driveway. I shoveled that stuff last year. Never again. Definitely the best $600 I have spent in a long time.

Shoveling some snow is fine. I do that, too. But today I went out to 12" on the driveway, and about 20 piled up from the plow at the end of the driveway. I shoveled that stuff last year. Never again. Definitely the best $600 I have spent in a long time.

What? Not $600 that you spent on a bass or an amp or cabinet? That wasn't the best $600 you ever spent?

What? Not $600 that you spent on a bass or an amp or cabinet? That wasn't the best $600 you ever spent?

Not on a day like today!

Robin and I love waking up to a big snowfall - we put on our snowsuits (she has a purple one, I have my old linesman safety-cone orange one) and we just make a day of it. I can't shovel like I used to (my cardiologist would reach into my chest and rip my stent out by hand), but we just have such a lovely time.

A couple of years ago, her father bought a small snow-thrower (not a full-tilt blower, but good enough), so we usually hit the big snowfalls a couple of times from the time it starts snowing - it just prolongs the fun times.

I'm from Michigan - I was raised on big snowfalls. It just brings me back to my childhood.

Play. Just play.

I just got in from shovelling...we had a small storm and there was lots of 3' high drifts, but also some bare spots due to the high winds. I did the entire driveway (100' long and 60' wide for much of it), all 3 decks, the patio, and the sidewalk. It took 2.5 hours, but I was taking it easy due to my recent Achilles tendon surgery.

Yes, I am crazy... :D

Several years ago I finally broke done, admitted that it really does snow in Oklahoma, and I should own a shovel to remove the annual dose of powder. It sure came in handy the week! The wind whipped around my house and planted a knee deep drift on the front porch. The back patio, which is the main entry from the driveway, had 6-8" blown onto it.
- Matt W.

Well, I think it finally stopped snowing. I'm heading out one last time today to do a "final" clean up of everything. I think they said we got 25+ inches over the 3 days. That's a lot of snow. I don't remember that much in one storm in a while. There's really no place left to pile it.

I did my driveway and sidewalk for the 2nd time, as well as the next door neighbor (they are out of town) and the 2 driveways across the street. The plows really pile that stuff up. I believe we got 20+ inches.

You're gonna be the hero of the neighborhood Steve.

The last time we had substantial snow here (24" overnight), our driveway had a 20' long drift that was 4' deep. Our neighbor got out his huge tractor and land scraper and dug the whole lane out.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

I did my driveway and sidewalk for the 2nd time, as well as the next door neighbor (they are out of town) and the 2 driveways across the street. The plows really pile that stuff up. I believe we got 20+ inches.

You're gonna be the hero of the neighborhood Steve.

The last time we had substantial snow here (24" overnight), our driveway had a 20' long drift that was 4' deep. Our neighbor got out his huge tractor and land scraper and dug the whole lane out.

Well, they did it for me last year when I didn't have a snow blower so it's the least I can do.

Archived