Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I have joined the Hammond club :-)

Mark Schmieder

Anvil is owned by Calzone. The only real difference is rivetted angle construction (which is more expensive) or glued in double angle construction like every other case company, including my employer Scorpion Case Mfg uses. You dont need rivetted angle on music gear cases and it would cost 20% more.

FunMachine.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anvil is owned by Calzone. The only real difference is rivetted angle construction (which is more expensive) or glued in double angle construction like every other case company, including my employer Scorpion Case Mfg uses. You dont need rivetted angle on music gear cases and it would cost 20% more.

If you want ATA compliant cases, then they have to be riveted.

I dont intend to argue with you other than to say that ive been building, designing,and selling, roadcases professionally since 1992 now i'm in management of the company. That spec is very old and the rivetted angle portion of it has been ignored for decades. Anvil (and Scorpion if requested) is pretty much the only case company that uses that technique. Since the actuall wording of the spec does require rivetted angle, tecnically you are right. However that rules out at least 7 or 8 major case companies including the rotomolded cases like Hardigg,Storm and Pelican from calling their cases ATA. No airline or truck carrier or air freight company has ever refused to transport our cases or pay damage claims because our cases werent ATA compliant. Rivetted construction, if done right is marginally stronger but you are going to PAY for it. Now, lets get back to talking about Hammonds.

FunMachine.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm a little confused: was it a bait and switch, and/or was there a price difference or simply less quality delivered for the same cost?

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

As the ProTec bags and hybrid cases are no longer available, I went ahead and ordered the Yamaha Tyros bag that is a very close fit to the XK-3c (and even the XK-1):

http://www.andysmusiconline.com/products/yamaha_ybs761.html

My XK-3c should arrive by 1 October. I lucked out and found an unopened new one for just under $2K.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I just received a PayPal notice that my order was refunded. I was put on message machine when I called Andy's Music (after being forwarded to their on-line service number), but as Sweetwater lists this gig bag as being out of production, chances are high that Andy's website was out-of-date and they didn't actually have any left over in stock.

The only other site listing this bag is B&H Photo Video, so maybe they still have some left in stock. No other bag comes close to fitting either the XK-1 or XK-3c, of those that are still made. The economy has been hard on keyboard bag makers.

Oops: Nevermind; B&H lists this as a special order item.

Why doesn't Hammond-Suzuki clean up on this market with the usual after-sales accessories markup?

Update: Just got off the phone with Andy's Music, and they apologized for not updating their website. They cleaned out their last remaining stock of this bag a few months back.

The woman who called was very friendly and commented that there are quite a few keyboards right now that don't have appropriate bags or cases. She said they are taking calls constantly from customers trying to find something for their Hammonds, in particular.

OK, it's official: The XK-3c has some serious balls!

I've probably spent eight hours on this beast since it arrived around 6pm last night, and I've been grinning from ear to ear ever since. :-)

Also, it's a funny thing about the keybed action, as the XK-3c is definitely lighter, but the first thing I notice is the pivot point, which just feels more "real" to me than on the XK-1.

I've probably spent eight hours on this beast since it arrived around 6pm last night, and I've been grinning from ear to ear ever since. :-)

:thu:

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Now find some old 50's/60's era tubes to swap with the stock ones and really start to smile. :thu:

Now find some old 50's/60's era tubes to swap with the stock ones and really start to smile. :thu:

I gotta swap my tubes out......

www.brianho.net

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/brianho

www.youtube.com/brianhojazz

Long night -- I wanted to capture the best of Native Instruments B4's presets since that software won't be available to me anymore once I get my new Intel Mac later this week.

I actually didn't care for that many of B4's presets, but as some of them are for specific songs I might play, I transferred those, with improvements. And they ARE better than the XK's presets.

I sacrificed the Default, Theatre, and Demo Song banks, as I felt those were overall the worst.

Intro 1 and Intro 2 would have been up next, except I didn't find any other B4 settings worth transferring, except maybe some of the Vox and Farfisa patches, but I was too tired to investigate how to access those custom tonewheels in the XK-3c and never felt B4 did a good job of combo organs anyway.

Actually, I do like the Church and Tibias banks in the XK series, but that's about it -- my own custom presets and those ported and refined from B4, have more life. I think part of the problem with the factory presets is that so many of them are soaked in Hall Reverb.

At any rate, I think I have good coverage for a lot of styles now, in terms of starting points. Obviously, the drawbars themselves will generally get used as real-time controllers, but it's nice to have a selection of preset combinations of different tonewheel sets, distortion types, even reverb types, and percussion settings.

The genre that I felt I still hadn't covered very well is jazz. I fiddled with EQ and other settings, but probably I just don't have enough intimate knowledge of how good jazz organ tone is produced.

Archived