Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

R.I.P. James Gurley

JetCraft

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I saw Big Brother early on, and I guess that Janis was new to the band because she only performed on some of the songs. The rest was a blend of one of the guys singing and long extended guitar jams. Might not hold up today, I don't know. But in the 60s, with what had gone before, it was truly mind-blowing stuff. Cheap Thrills still stands as a classic, and their version of "Summertime" an inspiration.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Wow! A real milestone.

Thought that I would veer to the left here....

since you knew that I was standing in ElectricLadyLand, do you know who is pictured on my shirt?

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

It may sound like heresy to some, but my favorite cut on on Cheap thrills was the first one, Combination Of The Two, which featured Sam Houston Andrew on lead vocals and Janis on backup. I love Janis' vocals on everything she ever did, but that is such a different song for them, and it has such a killer groove to it, it's just irresistible. James' guitar playing on it hits like a truck.

I've read that when Janis came into the group and basically became the star of the show, it was a real adjustment for James. HE had been the focus of the band before Janis, and all of a sudden, he was second string. What kills me is that the consensus among the music critics of the day was that Big Brother was a only a so-so band, and holding Janis back. I always thought they were a great band, and that Janis and they worked really well together.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

They release at least one album after Janis left, but it was nothing to get excited about. "I'll Change Your Flat Tire, Merle" was abut the best thing on it and that was a novelty song.

They were vibrant and exciting, originally. I think that it was the drugs that ruined it for them. San Fran became a very unsavory place in a hurry after the Summer of Love.

Steve Martin

In pre-Hendix San Francisco JG held the spot of the most exploratory guitarist on the scene, using feedback & exotic scales, etc., but (as for most guitarists, even the best) Jimi wiped the floor with everyone.

"Ball & Chain" feat. (I think) Gurley on lead guitar

(& yes that's a deliberate gap in the intro)

Besides Gurley's status Peter Albin considered himself the frontman before Ms. Joplin's arrival.

He & drummer Dave Getz seem to've been to only remotely restrained characters regarding chemical indulgence but more than that I'd suggest that personal jealousies & the fact that even before the Cheap Thrills album was recorded Joplin was being courted as a solo star & had planned to leave with Sam Andrews to form a new separate band tore the house down.

This film, while hardly the best evidence for their power, offers some interesting cross-stage shots with all 4 frontline members in many of the shots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmC5kjUy1i0

BTW

Post-Joplin Discography

Big Brother & the Holding Company (1967)

Cheap Thrills (1968)

Be a Brother (1970)

How Hard It Is (1971) ***

Can't Go Home Again (1997)

Live at Winterland '68 (1998)

Do What You Love (1999)

Hold Me (2006)

The Lost Tapes (2008)

*** This is the only post-JJ record I've heard.

It features the vocal stylings of Kathi McDonald & has at least a couple OK blues-rock tunes, most notably "Black Widow Spider" & the title track.

Note also the final track's title. :thu:

"B W Spider"

http://www.rhapsody.com/-search?query=black%20widow%20spider%20+%20big%20brother&searchtype=RhapKeyword

Rhapsody listing for entire album (listening is free)

http://www.rhapsody.com/-search?query=how%20hard%20it%20is%20+%20big%20brother&searchtype=RhapKeyword

d=halfnote

Wow! A real milestone.

Thought that I would veer to the left here....

since you knew that I was standing in ElectricLadyLand, do you know who is pictured on my shirt?

I can't really make it out very well; enlarging the image just results in a very blurry, sort of pixilated view; and I don't recognize it off the top of my head.

Would it be too obvious and easy if you gave up a better shot of it? :D

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Would it be too obvious and easy if you gave up a better shot of it? :D

Thinking about musicians from the 60s and 70s brought it to mind, and I was looking for a happier outcome in my mind. That is Kinky Freedman, formerly with Kinky Freeman and the Texas Jewboys, famous for songs such as "They Don't Make Jews Like Jesus Anymore". He became an author of detective fiction, incorporating his many friends like Willie Nelson into his stories. Then he ran for Governor of Texas under the slogan, "Why the Hell Not?" He is a frequent guest on the Charlie Rose show, because he is a pretty interesting and bright guy.

Steve Martin

...... Kinky Freedman, formerly with Kinky Freeman and the Texas Jewboys, famous for songs such as "They Don't Make Jews Like Jesus Anymore". He became an author of detective fiction, incorporating his many friends like Willie Nelson into his stories. Then he ran for Governor of Texas under the slogan, "Why the Hell Not?" He is a frequent guest on the Charlie Rose show, because he is a pretty interesting and bright guy.

LOL.....I always get a good laugh the couple of times I've seen him on the telly. I enjoy watching him.

He is way out there.......LOL!!!

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/Gypsyfingers/KinkyFriedman01.jpg

Archived