Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Happy birthday Frank Zappa

SMcD

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've had the pleasure of working with one of Frank's legacies, The Grandmothers, a few times. It's made up of original members of the Mothers Of Invention. Zappa is famous for being musically demanding and the band reflects that. They are one of the tightest bands I've ever seen and I've seen plenty. The music sounds as fresh and dynamic today as it did when it was written. Zappa was a Master who left us too soon but the richer for his contribution. Happy Birthday Frank!
Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

Didn't he also die in Dec. ?

Never met FZ but did meet Gail & Diva last year at an orchestral performance.

GZ ssid, in response to my asking about comments on bios of Frank, that "every book on him is inaccurate crap"...but then she also insisted he hated the Monkees (see below).

No word yet on when/if the notorious appearance on the Joe Pine Show from the 1960s will be available.

[When questioned by the host, a fellow perhaps comparable to Jerry Springer, whether his long hair meant he was a woman, Zapp quickly & calmly reposted, "No, does that wooden leg of yours mean you're dumb as this table ?"

Zappa + Monkees

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgNxuNaYHsk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOI-SDYGviM

d=halfnote

Didn't he also die in Dec. ?

GZ ssid, in response to my asking about comments on bios of Frank, that "every book on him is inaccurate crap"...but then she also insisted he hated the Monkees (see below).

No word yet on when/if the notorious appearance on the Joe Pine Show from the 1960s will be available.

[When questioned by the host, a fellow perhaps comparable to Jerry Springer, whether his long hair meant he was a woman, Zapp quickly & calmly reposted, "No, does that wooden leg of yours mean you're dumb as this table ?"

Joe Pine was no Jerry Springer. He did have a wooden leg, though.

The quote I heard was similar, but along the lines of:

JP: "So I guess your long hair makes you a woman."

FZ "So I guess your wooden leg makes you a table."

The Wikipedia article says the exchange (and the Zappa appearance) might be apocryphal, but then, as much as I like Wikipedia, there's no guarantee there either...

Joe Pine was no Jerry Springer.

I dunno, 2 pointless yapper interested only in hyping themselves via the hoi polloi's vacant interest in anything that diverts their attention from reality ?

Maybe I shoulda said Mort Downey ?

d=halfnote

Joe Pine was no Jerry Springer.

I dunno, 2 pointless yapper interested only in hyping themselves via the hoi polloi's vacant interest in anything that diverts their attention from reality ?

Maybe I shoulda said Mort Downey ?

I just meant that after listening to the "This American Life" piece on Jerry Springer I had a different opinion of him...

That's unfortunate. I wonder how many of the things I've heard about Frank and the things I respect him for are actually true.

/existential crisis

Archived