Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Charlie Brown Christmas tune ?

Dave Ferris

Would anyone know the name of this tune----it's a Jazz waltz kinda thing with the melody in double thirds for maybe 8 bars and then goes to more a triad type movement. I'm assuming it's one of those Vince Guaraldi tunes but not sure. Someone played it at a party I was at last night and he split before I was able to ask him. And I just heard it again shopping in Macys.

Considering I haven't leaned a new tune in a long time, it seemed like a cool tune to do. If you have a youtube link or something it would be appreciated.

Thanks....

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just playing that.

It's title is "Christmas Time is Here". On the original recording, Vince Guaraldi piano, Fred Marshall plays bass amd Jerry Granelli drums.

Here it is on U tube:

Didn't find the original recording, but this gives you an idea.

"May you stay...forever young."

Nope, that's not it. I know CTIH, been doing that for a long time.

This is definitely more a "piano thing" with the double thirds.

Thanks though for writing in Daddyyg.

What is that tune Jazz + ? You might know that one.

THAT'S IT !!!!!!

Thanks so much. Man that tempo is a lot brighter than I've been hearing.

Guess I'll see if anyone has the sheet music on it.

BTW, my wife and I are coming into St. Louis after Christmas to visit her Mom and sister out in Lake St. Louis---small world. I dig it out there. It's like 5 notches down intensity level from LA, always feels like a real vacation when we visit.

Thanks again drbrad98.

I recommend The Charlie Brown Collection by Hal Leonard (of course). It has 18 Peanuts songs including the same version of Skating linked above.

http://www.amazon.com/Charlie-Brown-Collection-TM-Songbook/dp/B001AS0Y0W/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1261439099&sr=8-12

It doesn't say it's "easy" and I don't know if these are the definitive versions, but it's pretty good AFAICT.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Dave I have Skating if you need it / want to meet up. There's a smattering of great Charlie Brown Christmas tunes that are awesome. My other, lesser known favorite, is 'Christmas is Coming', which is the tune they all do the crazy dance to.

Yeah, the book Joe mentions is the one I have and that'd be the one to get. If you want me to loan it to you, I can.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Dang, beat me to it! If there's one thing I know, it's Vince Guaraldi tunes. The first seven or so jazz albums I ever bought were all his.

I recommend The Charlie Brown Collection by Hal Leonard (of course). It has 18 Peanuts songs including the same version of Skating linked above.

http://www.amazon.com/Charlie-Brown-Collection-TM-Songbook/dp/B001AS0Y0W/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1261439099&sr=8-12

It doesn't say it's "easy" and I don't know if these are the definitive versions, but it's pretty good AFAICT.

I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/Peanuts-Illustrated-Songbook-Piano-Guitar/dp/B001DKHP4A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1261441510&sr=1-1

Also Hal Leonard, this one has the 18 songs in Joe's version plus 12 more. There's a few extra tunes that I like Vince's arrangements of (Chestnuts Roasting, and a waltzy version of What Child is This). Some of the tunes appear to be fully transcribed as-played, while others aren't. It's maybe a late intermediate/early advanced book? Though some of the tunes are quite easy, while others actually have pretty accurate transcriptions of the solos that are difficult for a guy like me (read: someone that doesn't practice that much) to play.

I also have this book: http://www.amazon.com/Vince-Guaraldi-Collection-Transcriptions-Songbook/dp/B001DBF3EI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1261442140&sr=1-1

This is a true full transcription book. Christmas-tune wise, it has Christmas Time is Here, O Tannenbaum, and Greensleeves.

BTW, my wife and I are coming into St. Louis after Christmas to visit her Mom and sister out in Lake St. Louis---small world. I dig it out there.

I may be around for a couple of days then out in Fenton - if the weather over the next 5 days doesn't completely crap on us like they are promising.

Moe

---

BTW, my wife and I are coming into St. Louis after Christmas to visit her Mom and sister out in Lake St. Louis---small world. I dig it out there.

I may be around for a couple of days then out in Fenton - if the weather over the next 5 days doesn't completely crap on us like they are promising.

Thanks everyone for the links to the music. Bobby I may get in touch to get "Skating".

Moe, actually I should have said--after New Years, the dates are Jan. 6-11.

THAT'S IT !!!!!!

Thanks so much. Man that tempo is a lot brighter than I've been hearing.

Guess I'll see if anyone has the sheet music on it.

BTW, my wife and I are coming into St. Louis after Christmas to visit her Mom and sister out in Lake St. Louis---small world. I dig it out there. It's like 5 notches down intensity level from LA, always feels like a real vacation when we visit.

Thanks again drbrad98.

Happy to help. Where will you be in LSL? I'm on Charlemagne, on the golf course side of Lake St Louis Blvd. It definitely does feel relaxed out here, even vs. St. Louis--I can only imagine the difference from LA.

Steinway L, 1958 Hammond B3, Kurzweil Forte, Prophet-6, Minimoog Voyager, Kawai VPC-1,Oberheim SEM-Pro, Doepfer Dark Energy, Nord Rack

THAT'S IT !!!!!!
LOL - I just realized you said that like when Charlie Brown realizes Lucy's diagnosis of his fear of everything. :D

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Happy to help. Where will you be in LSL? I'm on Charlemagne, on the golf course side of Lake St Louis Blvd. It definitely does feel relaxed out here, even vs. St. Louis--I can only imagine the difference from LA.

Wow, REALLY small world. Their house is on Crystal Brook Ct. off Pleasant Meadow or Ridgepoint. I've probably run by your house at least 20 times in the past few years. I always run that Charlemenge loop when we are staying at their house. I love the homes back in there. We looked at one a few years ago pretty seriously--my wife had the itch to move back. I said, "look at the calender--it's May 6, it's beautiful here, what's not to like ? Let's come back on Feb 6 or Aug 6 and see if you feel the same way about it". I must say it is tempting, you sure can get a lot of house back there compared to here.

This time we are staying at the Embassy Suites in St. Charles has Mom had to move in with the Sister. My other sister-in-law, who is also coming in with her family from Rockford Ill., is staying in the Mom vacated condo we own up the street on Hunter Lane in those Fox Bridge condos.

I'm glad Vince Guaraldi took up the offer and provided 'Peanuts' music. That is is the primary reason I've watched since I was a kid. 'CTIH' is certainly one of my favorite tunes. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

It's kind of the opposite for me, D. I knew the music was good, but didn't appreciate how good until I got older. Then, oh, man. I'm glad it was what they used.

Archived