Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Monster Cables - What's the deal with returns

Mike Peralta

Hey guys,

I've recently started buying monster cables based solely on the word of a sam ash salesman who told me that if my cables ever wear out, even due to wear-and-tear, I can basically get a free exchange for new cables, just by dropping the broken cables on their counter and asking for new ones. He even said I wouldn't need a receipt.

Now that I've hastily purchased a couple hundred bucks worth of these things without finding out if the salesman's statements are true or not, I'm left wondering: Are they?

Whats your experience with monster cable returns?

Check out Mike Peralta's debut acoustic alternative album, "Music of My Youth" now, at www.MikePeralta.com

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Make sure you have good friends that are salesmen @ places like these and you cant go wrong. I literally chopped a cable in 9 pieces because i accidentally slammed the trunk on it. I took it to GC and my friend switched it out for me :)

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

First, lots of cheaper cables have the same deal.

But in terms of the Monster cables, I only own one, the big guitar cable, and it appears that it will outlive me. You probably have nothing to worry about.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

I have a main cable and a connector cable that`s built like one of Godzilla`s toes. There should be a `normal use` clause in there somewhere, in case you`ve been using them to rappel from buildings. But I can see how they would be confident about that deal.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

But in terms of the Monster cables, I only own one, the big guitar cable, and it appears that it will outlive me. You probably have nothing to worry about.

I had several Monster cables that were big and heavy and thick like that. The connectors broke loose on them. Fun part was, those molded ends made it impossible to get in there and re-solder them without destroying the cable.

Monster cables were really top notch 13-14 years ago, I purchased one for my bass and never had an issue with it yet. And yes the sales guy told me if it goes bad just bring it in and you will get a new one, just like that.

Now fast forward too 2006 I was rebuilding my guitar rig and was gonna go with monster cables. The same music store(Pianos and Stuff,I used to work there) tells me to try these roadhog cables. I had never heard of em, but they are less money same deal replacement with just the cable in hand. They are great cables, every bit as good as the monster cable but less money.

Also there store brand cables have life time warantee a good cable but not what I would call professional cable and they are priced accordingly.

PS Griff my monster bass cable is actually thin and seems to be a vinyl outer coating that wears like iron, the ends are high end piece together ones. one draw back is it is not super flexable and retains memory when wrapped up(fixed by unrolling flat for a few minutes).

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

Which ones?

Quantum cables are excellent "normal" cables that, when I bought one a number of years ago, had a "lifetime guarantee". It performed and lasted just fine; it never failed me, it just got stolen.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I had several Monster cables that were big and heavy and thick like that. The connectors broke loose on them. Fun part was, those molded ends made it impossible to get in there and re-solder them without destroying the cable.

The only one that I own has metal ends. I've never tried to open it, so I guess it could be molded inside somehow, I don't know.

Most of the "lifetime" cables that I've seen just use Belden wire and Switchcraft ends, with a piece of custom labeled shrink wrap over the connector. The exception were the Whirlwinds from the 1970s (still working) which used a fancier military style brass connector with a white plastic barrel much like a high quality patch bay connector.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

PS Griff my monster bass cable is actually thin and seems to be a vinyl outer coating that wears like iron, the ends are high end piece together ones. one draw back is it is not super flexable and retains memory when wrapped up(fixed by unrolling flat for a few minutes).

Likewise, mine is very thick but is not as flexible as I might like and has a memory.

Go Steelers.

Steve Martin

Can't say much about the replacement guarantee as I've never had to take one back yet...but I use Monster xlr mic chords for guitar and vocals and you can't beat the price for the amount of quality...only problem with the big bulblike ends are that they don't slide through the mic holder so you have to slide the mic in first and then plug in...
Take care, Larryz

Well you want good construction and good sound. One without the other isn't much of a deal. Some people say any decent cable sounds the same, my ears say different. My point before-there actually was one-is that hauling stuff around can be rough on gear. People are in a hurry and they bend things the way they aren't meant to be bent, or slam something on top of something else. Do that enough and gear will wear out. But there's no excuse for stuff just falling apart.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

When I tried to take a monster cable back the story I got was that the lifetime replacement deal was for the EXACT same model of cord. Then I was told "sorry, they don't make that model any more."

So much for the return policy.

sounds like a store guy decision, not a Monster decision.

Steve Martin

Archived