Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Way OT: weathermen

Ross Brown

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, a few days ago they said "snow showers". Now we're looking at over a foot. I wouldn't care but my wife has to work tomorrow so I'll be up at 5:00 on a Sunday digging out her car.

The things we do for love....

Push the button Frank.

I have a 400 foot driveway to clear. I use a snow blower. Takes 2 hours. I like warm weather..... I just wish that the weatherman could get a forcast right. I don't even bother anymore....
"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Looks like I got the weaker side of this storm. Less than a foot of snow here. Unlike some of my fellow Garden State residents "down the shore" who got hammered with as much as three feet.

As for weathermen? Please. We can all read a radar map, but predicting this stuff is just ridiculous. These guys are probably hoping for the day that they can become the weatherman in San Diego, so that one day all they have to do on tv is say "Hey, it's gonna be nice today!"

On a related note, I just joined a broadcasting group on Facebook called "Overheard in the control room". And there's a legend of a tv weatherman who had predicted snow one night. The next night, the female anchor challenged said weatherman on the air, saying "So Bob, what happened to the 6 inches you promised me last night?"

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

I think you are being a little unfair. Do you not remember how useless the predictions were when we were kids and there were no satellites? If they see a storm coming then at the last minute in changes direction due to some complex weather chain, surely that's not their fault.

Besides it's something to chat about. Better than "I need my first bass, what should I buy?"

Davo

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

Keep in mind the weather is part of a news "show" so a lot of it is fear mongering. They'll often put a reporter out in the worst of it, 75 miles away from the city, to get the best shot.

Weather predicting has gotten much better in my lifetime. You can't always blame the boob (or boobs on some stations) that are just reading what was given to them. It wasn't so long ago that you had to get the weather from the newspaper, an almanac or by looking at the sky.

My neighbor across the street had 3 inches of snow, I had almost 3 feet.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

I think that weather girls are famous for boobs, not weather forecasts.

They are all reading the same weather reports from the National Weather Service. I really doubt that more than a handful of weather reporters throughout this fine nation are actually meteorologists.

My dad was actually a meteorologist in the Army and if we asked him what the weather was going to be like, he said he couldn't tell us without getting data from the National Weather Service.

For me, I think the acuracy would go way up if they just said that tomorrow will be the same as today. That way they would only be wrong when the weather changed. Not much of a way to do long range forecasting, but then again I have never seen an acurate long range forcaster.

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Our TV weatherfolk in the Metro Detroit area claim to be meterologists and all of them have like 6 kinds of Doppler radar and computer weather models. They still get it wrong a fair amount of the time! Go figure...

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

Weather reporters can be about the only profession (except maybe politicians) where they are wrong 80% of the time and still have a job- and a well paying job at that.

I remember about 12-15 years ago when the midwest had a super cold streak for like 2-3 weeks and all the weather men were getting death threats and stuff.

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

Predicting weather is alot harder than it sounds. The winds, temperature, jet stream, everything really, is changing pretty much constantly. Because of this it is almost like trying to predict whose going to win a race when the lineup and starting positions are constantly changing.

Archived