Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Someone help me set the clock!

I have a question. Here is my digital set-up: MOTU 2408 B/W G3 ADAT XT Panasonic SV-3800 (MIDI Time Piece A/V) I've had this set-up for two years now. Confession: I haven't yet set-up the MIDI Time Piece. It's still in the box (my projects are of the mobile recording/acoustic/traditional rock band variety...no MIDI). I've been reading about the importance of a dedicated clock. Usually, I designate the ADAT as the clock source for the system above unless I'm going to DAT. Is there anything to be gained by using the MIDI Time Piece as the system clock instead? Thank you one and all for any assistance. :rolleyes:

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sun, I,m not in my studio right now but I run a 2408mkII, 1224, and an AV. Not sure if you will gain anything if you're not running midi but I'll look at my hook up and post back to let you know how I have it set up. Seems like the AV goes straight into the tower though...been a long time since I wired everything up and can't remember. Maybe Aeon will check the post and chime in, he knows his DAW stuff.

Sun, What do you record to most of the time? Sounds like it's the ADAT. If that's the case, it would be the master most of the time. With a sync cable going to the PCI card, and the computer chasing the ADAT. This is also the case when transfering tracks to the computer for editing. When going from the computer to the ADAT, the computer is the master. You shouldn't have any sync problems with this setup. I don't think you'll gain from putting the TP/AV in the mix unless you are going to add MIDI recording. You might want to hook it up and play around with it and some MIDI devices, so you won't be suprised or stumped when that one "GUY" asks if he can sync your ADAT to his MPC2000, or dump a sequence from his keyboard into your computer, and sync those tracks with the ADAT, so he can add some more vocals, that he wants to edit in the computer. You get the idea. If everything works after a work out like this, you probably won't need to use your word clock I/O until you add something like a digital mixer. Hope that helps, Sly :cool:
Whasineva ehaiz, ehissgot ta be Funky!

Archived