Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Music you loved-> now hate; what are you listening to now?

Marzzz

The other thread about music you listened to a lot while younger but now can't stand anymore begs the obvious question- what are you listening to now? Of all the old music I listened to in the 70's (ELP, Yes, Zep, etc.) the only thing I still really appreciate is old (Peter Gabriel) Genesis; Funny thing is that aside from some classical music, I find that there really isn't any music that "takes the place" of the stuff I used to absolutely live for- I am kind of left with a void, really.

Is there something out there now that does it for you, or does anyone else feel the same as I do?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, last night I downloaded:

Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer

Must Be Christmas

The Dreidel Song

(My wife was responsible for the music for the Christmas presentation at the elementary school where she works.) :)

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Awesome thread. This could grow into a good list of recommendations too!

I recently enjoyed Derek Trucks - Joyful Noise, various James Taylor Quartet albums, and Leonard Cohen - Live from London.

Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

Nice supplemental topic!

Like I said, I still listen to my share of Floyd, but the music I've been into lately is...

Death Cab for Cutie

Porcupine Tree

Mark Knopfler

Wilco

But overall, I like downer music. Anything moody or slower or depressing usually catches my ear.

Stuff and things.

From my mental music database, I go straight to great stuff that still takes me there.

XM radio is the closest I get to discovering new music. If a tune grabs my attention, I'll dig further.

I'm not listening for anything specifically moreso than whatever sounds worthy of adding to the repository.

Otherwise, I have a vision for a new style of music. I'm working on it. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I listen to Sirius/XM almost exclusively these days- I own 300 CDs which have been ripped to my iPod and pretty much don't listen to them anymore. I have to admit, my favorite channel is Rawdog (uncensored comedy) but for music I have been listening to the Chill channel (smooth electronic) and another channel called Bandeapart ("A Radio-Canada channel dedicated to the best emerging Francophone pop, rock, electronica, hip-hop, punk and world music"), you haven't lived until you have heard white guys rapping in french.....

A great thing about Sirius XM is seeing the identity of the song while it is playing

I posted in the other related thread...

Radio Paradise (www.radioparadise.com) is worth checking out. It's ad-free, with an occasional plug for donation, but it's WAY better than hearing ads every few minutes.

They play a decent amount of familiar stuff, but also a lot of new, indie, world, non-overplayed music.

I have bought a lot of music (both downloads and CD's) since I started listening a few years ago.

AND, they've got a FORUM! You can post comments and opinions. Kinda fun...

Stuff and things.

I'm listening to a lot of Latin music right now. Latin Rock, Latin Jazz, Salsa. It's really great stuff, and rhythmically so different from the music I grew up on. Plus I'm playing some of it in different bands, so that's really fun too.

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

The Vanderbilt University student radio station, WRVU, is what I listen to almost exclusively these days. The student DJs play such interesting stuff and the format changes every hour or two. I'm forced to listen to new things and many of these things are really, really good.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Archived