Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

IEM solutions/recommendations

Skinny

I use Shure SCL2 IEM's when I play live (and just to clarify, yes I do use them in BOTH ears...)

I play LH bass for most of our setlist. I have a hard time hearing my low end - what I can hear while playing is the bass drum, and the guitarist's low end (I have told him I think he needs to roll back his low end, but he got defensive and said "That's my tone, sorry" - but he did admit he runs his lows more than most guitar players)

I should specify that when I say I can hear the lows on the guitar and bass drum, that's the ambient sound, not through my in-ears...

Granted, my in-ears are the lower end of the price range...

Does anyone here use the higher-end Shure buds with the dual-drivers?

I am thinking I should just spend the money on nicer ones, but I keep wondering if maybe my mix is not right, or if it has more to do with isolation...

I forgot to say that the way I mix my in-ears is different from what most people would do - I play 4 keyboards live - so I run them all (mono - gasp!) into left channels 1-4, then send that to FOH. I take a monitor feed back to my mixer in to Channel 5 Right, and my IEM's out of the Phones jack on my mixer, so what I end up with is...

Left ear - Keyboards only

Right ear - a mix of the rest of the band, with a little keys to balance it out

Bill, I have read your posts on the dangers of improper IEM use - do you have any insight? Is this a dumb way of doing it?

Thanks for reading.

Stuff and things.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have used the E2 (old version of the SCL2), E3 and now using SCL4. To my ears theirs a SIGNIFICANT improvement in sound at each succeeding tier of the Shure line.

Now, much of this may also be accounted with in-ears to proper fit, and as you pay more you not only get better internals, you get way more fitment options (sleeves) of different materials and sizes. Improper fit of off-the-rack ear buds will do horrible things to timbre, isolation and especially bass response.

But the real answer is to forego the Shure sleeves entirely and spend you money on custom molds - no matter which model drive you settle on. It's not cheap but it mitigates or solves lots of your problems.

Thanks for the response, Tim. I've tried both the black rubber molds and the spongy orange ones. I prefer the black rubber ones.

It makes me feel better that I will notice a significant improvement just by buying the more expensive earbuds. I think I will go ahead and spend some Christmas overtime cash and get the SCL5's.

How does one go about getting custom molds made?

Thanks

Stuff and things.

How does one go about getting custom molds made?
You find an audiologist that works with the product you want. Audiologists make molds all the time for hearing aids. You just need to find one that has a relationship with the company that makes the electronic part.

When I had my custom earplugs made, the audiologist was also a musician and showed me his. He knew exactly what we were doing.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Left ear - Keyboards only

Right ear - a mix of the rest of the band, with a little keys to balance it out

Bill, I have read your posts on the dangers of improper IEM use - do you have any insight? Is this a dumb way of doing it?

Thanks for reading.

Quite honestly I don't know if or how dangerous to your hearing that method would be. I do know that you would be able to work at a lower volume if you did more of a mix into both ears, and ultimately that wound be less damaging. Not knowing how loud you are mixing to start with....

But here is a simple test. Set up your mix as you normally do, with the levels where they usually are. Now without changing any volume levels, route the feed so that only one of the feeds that you use goes to both left and right ear pieces. Put them in and see if you are blowing your brains out. If so, try some other mix method.

here are a handful of manufacturers of ear molds, and the prices run the gamut from cheap for your iPod at about $125, to well over $1k for a top notch set. Pick your comfort zone. As was said, most any audiologist will fit you for a fee and order the buds for you. If you have access to the trade show floors, at least two manufacturers tend to show an NAMM and AES, you can get fitted for free and listen to the options in their booths and order after knowing what you will get for your money.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

• 3 months later...

Update - I have since purchased SCL5 earbuds, and I just had my appointment for custom ear molds. Not to be disgusting, but the lab technician removed a LOT of wax from my ears, and I'm sitting here at work and I can hear the high-pitched electronic noise from my video monitor. Haven't heard that in a while.

Should be about 10 days for the molds to come in, can't wait! Cost is about $130. Definitely worth it, IMO. Can't put a price on your hearing.

Stuff and things.

• 2 weeks later...
Just curious--What monitoring system are you plugging these into?

I run my 4 boards *mono* into a Yamaha MG10/2c - left channel, and send that to the FOH board. Then I take a feed from an aux channel on the FOH board back to the Right channel on my Yammy mixer. My earbuds are plugged into my Yamaha mixer, so I can control my headphone volume, along with the level of the feed coming back to me from FOH. Left ear is keys only. Right ear is mix from FOH.

Actually it works pretty well, when guitarist isn't pooping up the stage with his excessive low end. When he drops out to do lead, everything is clear and I can hear my low end just fine. What drives me crazy about his lows is not so much that he's in that range, but when he is, and we play a "slash chord", it clashes and sounds like feces. But it's a losing battle for me. That's his tone. :rawk::mad:

Stuff and things.

Archived