Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Last Chance to buy Scarbee

Moon Zero Two

Looks like NI will be repackaging and selling the keyboard samples - so Scarbee has a 40% off sale for today and tomorrow on their keyboard bundles...download only from what I can tell. I am definitely going for it - I have upgraded my Receptor w the NI Kontakt 3 and keep hearing so many good things about the Scarbee Rhodes...can't wait.

http://www.scarbee.com/home.php

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Won't the CEP work in Logic? It says it includes EXS24 format. Not the full bundle, just the 109EUR standalone. And can someone share why the FX are needed? I was just about to pull the trigger on the CEP "rhodes" library until I read that comment from linwood.

It looks like a couple are in EXS24 format and a couple aren't (Sticky and Funky if I'm reading it right. Classic and Edgy are). That kinda kills it for me.

Is Kontakt included?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Hi Tim,

I believe the samples are taken from the harp. The efx give you eq,comp,delay,verb,chorus, phase, etc. Kind of brings it to life and has a bunch of good presets. You could use other plugins I guess, but what you hear are usually their efx. I'll be honest, the cep w/the vkfx is a joy to play.Feels great under the fingers. You need K2 or higher.

Okay, makes sense. Thanks, linwood. So for the two that are in EXS24 (rhodes and wurli), I could "rebuild" a channel strip with Logic's FX, but the advantage of Scarbee's is that he's already tweaked and perfected it.

Hmm. I'm not looking to invest in Kontakt any time soon...

True about the samples being taken from the harp, but there's not much difference between what you get from the harp and what you get from the mislabeled "Input" jack, if you have the volume and "bass boost" turned fully up. It's just an RC filter with resistive attenuator.

The fx are nice, regardless.

I bought the effects but can rarely use them on my current computer as they are extreme in CPU usage. But they do sound great. I do hope NI improves them though, as the interfaces are awful. Maybe it's just my computer, but I just find all the controls extremely jumpy and hard to fine-tune.

They aren't essential if you have other good effects. I may not end up using them as much now that I have SoundToys effects suite.

I would say go ahead though, because likely NI will improve on the effects usability.

Definitely get the full package of e-keys though. For one thing, this is the only dedicated software source for Pianet. The Clavinet has four rocker combinations. Only one Rhodes but it's a good one and you can get close to the other Rhodes models with filtering and effects. The Wurly is also quite good.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I never noticed the effects suite has presets! I guess it never occurred to me to do anything but start from scratch, just as I do with the sample libraries themselves (I never use them flat, and spend a great deal of time tweaking the knobs, which will also probably become more extensive under NI's tenure).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

SoundToys runs fine most of the time. I do have to be careful sometimes to bounce to disc on a per-track basis vs. holding it out for final mix-down in an all-tracks bounce operation, but not so much lately. It's become more efficient and less "jumpy" (GUI).

It's the best effects plug-in out there, for creative effects (vs. traditional stuff like EQ and compression). It models almost every effect ever made, and the GUI morphs to be more appropriate to the controls of whichever delay or chorus effect you are modeling, for example. It covers both analog and digital.

What's the consensus on the clav...er, I mean Funky Electric Piano? I have the Classic and Sticky, love the Classic, and am kind of meh about the the Sticky, I have a great sounding well maintained Pianet, and, while Sticky is good, it doesn't quite nail the sound the way Classic nails the Rhodes. I've been using the Clav sample set in the NI Elektrik Piano library, and am pretty happy with it. Is FEP that much better?

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

I deleted Elektrik Piano from my hard drive after getting Scarbee. I couldn't get that stuff to sit in a mix no matter how I tweaked it. There's also a Stevie Wonder add-on for Scarbee's Clavinet, implemented asa plug-in effect if I recall correctly.

I bought the effects but can rarely use them on my current computer as they are extreme in CPU usage.

I'll pass then. The last thing I need is another plugin sucking the life out of my DAW.

Besides, I just bought myself Trilian for Christmas, and obviously haven't installed it yet.

I did say at the time that that was it for soft synths.... :rolleyes:

BTW Linwood, nice demo on the Scarbee site.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Another vote for the Scarbee FX. Perhaps, if you had an extensive collection of 3rd party FX you could emulate the Scarbee presets but that's a big IF. And i never noticed them to be CPU hogs. FWIW i have the original Scarbee collections from when they were still called Rhodes etc. Runs on Halion which is a whole 'nother story.

JP

1935 Mason & Hamlin Model A

Korg Kronos 2 73

Nord Electro 6D 61

Yam S90ES

Rhodes Stage 73 (1972)

I bought the effects but can rarely use them on my current computer as they are extreme in CPU usage.

I'll pass then. The last thing I need is another plugin sucking the life out of my DAW.

Besides, I just bought myself Trilian for Christmas, and obviously haven't installed it yet.

I did say at the time that that was it for soft synths.... :rolleyes:

BTW Linwood, nice demo on the Scarbee site.

Yeah, Linwood's demo is one of the biggest reasons I pulled the trigger. Awesome job.

...now if only I could play like that...

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Dan, I think you're right, but it's been awhile since I bought my bundle. I'm pretty sure it was packaged as VKC though vs. KGB.

I keep hearing people mention presets. What are the advantages of using presets? Are there some that are meant to emulate specific players like Stevie Wonder and Donald Fagen? Maybe I would find that useful. I've just gotten so used to starting from scratch.

I don't think the effects suite is really designed to work well on older Macs, regardless of specs. The latest update (whenever that was) seems to have broken that plug-in altogether on my G4 iMac. On my computer, this plug-in is way more challenging than Altiverb, SoundToys, or any other advanced compute-intensive plug-in that I own. So I thought maybe it was poorly written, or at least not ported very well to PPC Macs.

Archived