Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Yamaha stage pianos!

Tobias Åslund

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, they definitely deserve an own thread. Btw, they look fantastic, exactly what I wished for. CP1 is probably high end competition for the V-Piano. I am interested in the CP5: modelled pianos and e-pianos mic input, rhythm set, AWM sounds on top of that. Very nice.

Here is the comparison chart for the three models: http://www.yamahasynth.com/jp/library/cp1_5_50_en/compare/comparison_eng.html

First thought: why only one controller wheel?

I'm quite impressed with the two top end weights, considering they've put a wooden keyboard in them.

Don't care much for the styling, though.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

LOL hey guys its NOT samples... its NOT modeling.... its "Spectral Component Modeling"

Illuminated Yamaha logo OOOOOooh! Aaaaaahhh!

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

I am interested in the CP5: modelled pianos and e-pianos mic input, rhythm set, AWM sounds on top of that. Very nice.

Based on the feature list, it could cannibalize the recently issued S90XS. Perhaps there is a significant price differential?

I notice it is missing the preamp component for AP that is in the CP1. I wonder how much of a sonic difference that makes.

Looking forward to trying these out ...

1st reaction-acoustic piano sounds really sterile-no vibe to it, Rhodes sounds really tiney, not vintage sounding to me.

Great that it has master control functions....WITHOUT A MOD WHEEL......who designs these things!?

hope it sounds better than the demos

nice demos, too. Glad I didn't buy that cp300 yet.

It's only been out for over three years. :)

I sold my P250 to guy who lives close by and will probably sell him my CP300 when I buy the CP1. This year has been the absolute worst for me as far as jobs go so I might even hold on to my CP300 for a while until things pick up.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

1st reaction-acoustic piano sounds really sterile-no vibe to it, Rhodes sounds really tiney, not vintage sounding to me.

Great that it has master control functions....WITHOUT A MOD WHEEL......who designs these things!?

hope it sounds better than the demos

Yes but the yamaha logo is illuminated :thu:

-Greg

Having now listened to the demos over studio monitors (I was in a rush this morning when I first posted), I have to agree with Nicky.

The AP sounds on the demos lack warmth and personality. Hopefully they can be made better, but I've noted similar criticism of the V Piano and also found parallel problems when I've downloaded the Pianoteq demos, so maybe this is an issue with modelling?

I'm convinced Yamaha have a guy in their R&D department whose job is solely to introduce a "feature" which will tick off all right-thinking users.

With the last S range, this guy looked at the blueprints and said: "Let's make these babies a bit longer, yeah even the 76". This time he said: "Let's lose one of those ugly wheels - they can manage with just the one, can't they?"

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

AWWWWWwww! Its going to be $6000 LMAO!!!

Where did you find the price? I guess $6000 is for the CP1 - anything about how much the CP5 will cost?

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

just a guess. Let's see how the price compares to the V-piano. If it actually is supposed to be a competitor to the roland that is.

-Greg

I think these have significant potential, especially considering the new wooden key action and improved CFIIIS and S6 sounds. (You early naysayers should remember that Yamaha's pianos aren't known for their warmth. :rolleyes: ) All three of these boards are lighter than the V-Piano, and they'll likely be more affordable. Unless Roland has a new FP line with V-Piano technology waiting in the wings, Yamaha could trump them. Regardless, with the SV-1 and this new CP line, things are really heating up in the DP war. :thu:

CP1: 27.2 kg / 59.8 lbs

CP5: 25.2 kg / 55.4 lbs

CP50: 20.9 kg / 46 lbs

Even the CP50 is too heavy for me to gig with.

Floyd, I'm not a fitness freak but have been working out since my back went out about two months ago. I just had my last session today with my physical therapist.

Last week I had to clear out a closet under my living room steps. It was noticeably easier for me to lift everything, not because my back is better, but because I've been working out with weights. Those workouts (every other day with weights) really made a difference.

Look at the bright side, at least we don't have to move acoustic pianos .... or B3's.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Floyd, I'm not a fitness freak but have been working out since my back went out about two months ago. I just had my last session today with my physical therapist.

Last week I had to clear out a closet under my living room steps. It was noticeably easier for me to lift everything, not because my back is better, but because I've been working out with weights. Those workouts (every other day with weights) really made a difference.

Look at the bright side, at least we don't have to move acoustic pianos .... or B3's.

Well, I'm happy that your back is better, and that you're working out. But if you're suggesting that I should start a weight-lifting regimen in order to make it easier for me to carry a digital piano that I consider too heavy, well, ain't gonna happen.

40 lbs is my limit.

You early naysayers should remember that Yamaha's pianos aren't known for their warmth.

The S6 model in particular sounds very musical to me in the sound clips. Tightly tuned, responsive and playable. Many of the other judgements will really depend on the sound reproduction systems used for a performance. Some being warmer than others...

CP1: 27.2 kg / 59.8 lbs

CP5: 25.2 kg / 55.4 lbs

CP50: 20.9 kg / 46 lbs

Even the CP50 is too heavy for me to gig with.

CP1 is just a couple lbs lighter than XS8. I could live with that.

-Greg

You early naysayers should remember that Yamaha's pianos aren't known for their warmth.

The S6 model in particular sounds very musical to me in the sound clips. Tightly tuned, responsive and playable. Many of the other judgements will really depend on the sound reproduction systems used for a performance. Some being warmer than others...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_fEDjxsA9n7Q/SZDVrtN99DI/AAAAAAAAAk8/BG3HnYRZpPc/s400/JackieMason.jpg

You want warmth, put on a sweater.

:)

Archived