Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Music you used to love, now you hate it...

Skinny

Then there was stuff I didn't like - CCR I think I resented for being so popular with very simple music while groups like Lee Michaels, Traffic and the Mothers were much less successful. Oh the petulant teenage mind...

Man, I listen to old ccr stuff, and to my ears, the vocals were way ahead of his time. He was doing axelrose/bonjovi/acdc(insert hair rock band here) long before the raspy voice was a prerequisite for these type of bands. I recently bought a concert dvd of him from 2006 i believe. He still sounds just fantastic.

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't really *Hate* anything, but I spent my whole adolescence, 20s, 30s, 40s living for the blues in all it's forms. I played it, sang it, listened to it until I just played myself out. Nowadays - and it pains me to say this - unless there's something really different going on in a tune(which isn't really what the blues is all about), I've kinda been there, done that. Well Hell. Now I've gone and given myself the blues...
The cool thing about the blues is that it's easier than music.

Stuff I hate now that I used to love is almost always stuff that got sold to TV, then stomped into the ground.

The Chevy ads are the worst, but I never liked "Like a Rock" anyway.

But now I can't listen to Zep's "Rock n Roll" or several Who tunes that they sold.

Moe

---

My name is Ron and I was an Angel fan.

Punky Meadows rules no matter what FZ says.

:rolleyes:

I used to play in a band with Felix Robinson, who left my band to go to LA and eventually replaced their original crummy bass player.

We gave him so much crap when we saw him decked out in makeup and moussed hair!!

Here he is in MY band when he was still respectable :D

http://www.hotrodmotm.com/skyhigh.htm

Moe

---

In addition to my previous post, there are 3 I just can't pass up:

1) Brown Eyed Girl

2) Margarittaville

3) Paradise by the Dashboard Light

1&2 I played Ad Nauseum in so many bands, sometimes multiple times in one night, to the point that my gag reflex engages if I hear 2 notes of either one. I never played 3, but I was in a fraternity that played that song at midnight at every party as a tradition. I wasn't even sick of it then, but everyone continued playing it at midnight at their weddings (mine included, by my own choice I have to admit), to the point where I finally had enough.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Interesting idea for a thread. I spent my teen years in NYC in the 70s playing guitar. My friends and I defined ourselves by our wide musical tastes. In our circles the hippest things a musician could play were fusion and prog-rock because you needed serious chops to do them. Some of that music I still love fiercely but much of it sounds pompous, self-conscious and contrived to me now. Progressions that sound like they were written by someone throwing darts at Ted Greene's "Chord Chemistry". Meter changes just to show they could. Fuzak.

I sometimes seek out an album from that period because I remember being excited by some tune that was on it. There are exceptions, of course (David Sancious, Weather Report, and Gentle Giant come to mind), but often, other than the one or two tunes I remember fondly, the rest of the album just makes me cringe.

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

ELP and Yes were my heroes growing up. But whereas I will still occasionally stick some Yes on, I now cannot really stand ELP. I think it's because there is some genuine emotional intelligence in Yes at their best, whereas ELP were essentially three huge egos indulging themselves.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Awesome! :thu:

But I have to agree; I love Pink Floyd, but I can no longer listen to Dark Side, Animals or Wish You Were Here. Animals is the one that breaks my heart, as I really connected with that record on so many levels, but after playing this stuff live for a few years, I can't bear to listen to it anymore.

That is a shame...

I don't mean that to sound sarcastic or condescending, it really is too bad - I think those three albums are their absolute best, and this is of course my opinion, but I think it is some of the best music ever recorded.

Hopefully someday you'll be able to listen to them again.

side note - One time I was at a music store and was playing the intro to Sheep, and a salesman came up to me and said jokingly, "Hey, you're not old enough to know that song!"

Stuff and things.

But I have to agree; I love Pink Floyd, but I can no longer listen to Dark Side, Animals or Wish You Were Here. Animals is the one that breaks my heart, as I really connected with that record on so many levels, but after playing this stuff live for a few years, I can't bear to listen to it anymore.

That is a shame...

I don't mean that to sound sarcastic or condescending, it really is too bad - I think those three albums are their absolute best, and this is of course my opinion, but I think it is some of the best music ever recorded.

Hopefully someday you'll be able to listen to them again.

Such is the downside of tribute bands I guess.

The upside for Dan Duran's band is that you hate that stuff going in, so it can't possibly get any worse....can it? :P

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

1) Brown Eyed Girl

2) Margarittaville

Oh I know, you would think an audience would be bored to death over these songs.

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

Interesting responses. I don't really have anything on my list that I "hate", it's simple repetition overload. I can't really hear "Get off my cloud" more than 10,000 times so I turn the station for that and "Satisfaction". In classical, after playing Barber's Adagio for 30 years now, I hardly get all emotional and teary, but I appreciate what it is.

For the ELP haters:

I view it like television. Some shows translate to modern times, some don't. Lucy is still funny 60 years later, so is Barney Fife. They transcend the time period. Ever seen All in the Family lately? Egads! It's not that it wasn't a good show, it was. It just gets stuck in the times, with constant talk about gas lines, McGovern, Nixon, "Pinkos" etc. The stories aren't timeless. Mary Tyler Moore show is more timeless, like her friend from summer camp who contacts her as an adult. Any generation can relate to that.

That's my opinion of ELP. I love em, but their instrumentation and style stays in a certain era. Some later stuff works, "Changing States" from Black Moon is an awesome piece. It's classical music with drumes basically, but it's not stuck in the era (early 90s).

I used to like complicated rock music.

Now I prefer simple rock music.

I also now weight songwriting more heavily than instrumental prowress.

Loving Stax-era sould music that I would have found simplistic when I was younger.

My jazz tastes have never changed - love the Trane era Miles albums, early Bebop, and Post-Bop.

Have recently really been digging the classic Blues piano players...Otis Spann in particular. I would have found this stuff boring when I was younger.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

They transcend the time period.

Bingo. :thu:

Regardless of genre/style and when it was written and/or composed, a great song or piece of music passes that test.

If/when a muso gets tired of those songs, it may be time to find another game. I hear golf has a temporary vacancy. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

1) Brown Eyed Girl

2) Margarittaville

Oh I know, you would think an audience would be bored to death over these songs.

I can recall gigs back in the early-mid 90's when we would actually play Margharittaville 3 or 4 times in one night because people would feed us cash to "play it again". It triggers my gag reflex these days!

I was being somewhat sarcastic about posting my songlist. Actually, I still enjoy PLAYING those songs, but can't stand LISTENING to them. Probably because I'm looking at boobs while playing them, but there are no boobs in my car, just traffic.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I was being somewhat sarcastic about posting my songlist. Actually, I still enjoy PLAYING those songs, but can't stand LISTENING to them. Probably because I'm looking at boobs while playing them, but there are no boobs in my car, just traffic.

When I'm listening to the radio and a song comes on from our play list, I have one of two reactions:

* switch to a different station immediately or

* listen to the song intently seeing if I missed anything with the keyboard parts I'm playing

When I'm listening to the radio and a song comes on from our play list, I have one of two reactions:

* switch to a different station immediately or

* listen to the song intently seeing if I missed anything with the keyboard parts I'm playing

You have just described my reaction to the last detail. This is exactly what I do!

Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

I hang out in bars often enough to know that the pre-MTV stuff sounds real dated to the kids. In the past couple years I've noticed a disdain for 80s and 90s material both the poppier New Wave influenced stuff and rap. They're the post-MTV, internet kids of the 90s that started graduating in 2000.

Where I'm going with this is anything from the 20th Century is sounding old to my ears and it's not getting better.

Absolutely unlistenable?

Lots of 60s and 70s noodling.

ELP? I have handful of cuts I can listen to -- Tarkus and some stuff on their first album.

Unlistenable? Anything overplayed by classic rock stations. I'll listen to The Move's Shazam, Zep's Presence, Blonde on Blonde, Savoy Brown's, 'Looking In' album, the odd Beatles tune ("Warm Gun"), Santana's 'Caravanserai', Patti Smith's 'Horses', a little Bowie or Lou Reed, X, Robyn Hitchcock, The Gang of Four and not much else from the pre-MTV era unless it's roots music (Longhair, Blasters, etc)

It's all too overplayed and I nod out. I don't hate my old friends but I'll put on 'The Gorillaz' before most anything from the 80s or 90s. ELP and Greg Lakes's 'Someone Get me a Ladder' style of song delivery? I'd rather hear Niacin.

OK, time to get a little more detailed. I'm sure a lot of this depends on regional radio stations and bands.

Locally, there are certain songs that have been BEAT TO DEATH by radio stations. For instance, I really like Pink Floyd for the most part. But there are a few songs that have been in regular rotation for fricking 20 years on the radio and when they come on, I can't change the station fast enough. To name names...Money, Brick in the Wall, Comfortably Numb. Lot's of other great stuff though.

Now stuff we play? I just don't want to hear it. Doesn't mean I don't like playing it. On sattelite radio, I mostly listend to New Wave, 80's, or Classic Rewind. But if a song we play comes on, I change it. Why do I need to hear it? I play it every frickin weekend, isn't that enough?

Dan

Speaking of beating a song to death, at any given time moment in time I can find 3 or 4 radio stations playing that JayZ/Alicia Keys drivel. I hope that this is only the case because I live in New York. If it goes on much longer, I may have to consider moving to a different state.

Archived