Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Music you used to love, now you hate it...

Skinny

For me, it's Led Zeppelin. I used to listen to their stuff quite often, now much of it grates on me.

The Doors - I used to enjoy, now the music annoys me. The same can be said for Santana.

However, I now find myself re-examining music that I used to hate. A specific example is "Don't Dream It's Over" by Crowded House. I couldn't STAND that song when it came out. Now I think it's brilliant.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

Stuff and things.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great thread. :thu:

My musical tastes are such that my personal jukebox contains tunes from every era and genre.

That said, I never have to hear most of the music recorded from the 1980s to present again. :laugh:

Beyond the musos, artists, bands, etc., my appreciation lies in individual songs, performance, arrangements and instrumentation.

Nowadays, I'm listening to the song minus the studio tricks obscuring it i.e. gated drums and auto-tune. :D:cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

'

I second Prof's comment on this - it's a good idea for a thread :thu:

I've no doubt all sorts of different viewpoints will be aired, but mine is this . . .

Growing up in the UK, I was going through 'classical'music education in flute & piano from the age of 11.

By the time I'd reached the age of 12/13-ish (1976) I'd started to hear bands like Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Led Zep, Black Sabbath, Yes, Genesis & so-on.

My interest in the strait-laced classical upbringing that was being forced upon me rapidly waned.

Then -young & impressionable- another form of 'Rock' came along - Punk.

Still very young & impressionable, that did it for me !

Not long after that (remember I'm talking about the UK here - I don't know what things were like in the US at that time),

there was the Mod/Ska re-invention - which created a 60's-style divide between 'Mods & Rockers'.

I was in the 'Rockers' camp, and some of my friends were in the 'Mod' camp.

The division was largely well-natured, but there was an undercurrent of 'animosity'.

I remember an incident immediately after a Motorhead gig at Manchester Apollo Theatre, when some Mods (presumably with a death-wish)

were waiting outside atop their Lambrettas with a million mirrors -stupid ball-bearing helmets, fishtail parkas & all-

with a two-fingered salute to the local Hell's-Angels group.

To say there was a 'melee' would be an understatement!

Anyway, back on topic, these times/scenarios sort of cemented your loyalties - and you were obliged to stand your ground.

As time has gone on though, I've definitely found my tastes 'mellowing' to all kinds of different music,

and I'm not so passionate about 'defending' my original influences.

I wouldn't go so far as saying I 'hate/find annoying' stuff I used to like, 'cos a lot of it still stands up to scrutiny today. . .

but I do sometimes question just why I was SO blinkered to all the other wonderful music that is out there!

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

The Beatles.

What?

The topic of this thread is "Music you USED TO LOVE, now you hate".

You used to LOVE The Beatles?????

I've tried & tried to understand what all that hysteria/fuss was all about.....

but, come what may, I just cannot fathom it out.

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

Not music of my own choosing, interestingly. Even the bad pop music I listened to in my middle school years ('87-'88) makes me smile when I hear it, as does anything I liked before I wrapped my head around more sophisticated music. My iTunes library is littered with these songs. :D

When I was a child, though, the only thing to listen to was my parents' record collections -- folk, country, "AM Gold"-like stuff, and even the Lawrence Welk repertoire. I liked some of it, but I was a kid and had no musical taste of my own.

When I hear some of that music now, it literally makes my stomach turn inside out!

(Now that's an experience ... anyone else experience physical nausea from particular music/songs? Anything with a guitar run through a Leslie greens my gills ...)

Emerson, Lake & Palmer. Back 35 years ago, I was a major fan, but now their music just seems bombastic and lacking any subtlety. Same is true for any of the other prog rock that I used to love. I might only tolerate listening to this stuff for nostalgia sake every now and then. Like Moog_Man, I'm into a much different style of music now.

Almost all the things from my set list.

I turn the radio station to something else when I hear those songs. I used to like Lynard Skynard. Now I turn off the radio when I hear Freebird or Sweet Home Alabama.

Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

As a kid I was a fan of Duran Duran. I really can not remember why.

There was probably some girl you like that was really hot for Simon Lebon. That's what did it for me...I had to bone up on my Duran Duran cred to get the girl.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

As a kid I was a fan of Duran Duran. I really can not remember why.

There was probably some girl you like that was really hot for Simon Lebon. That's what did it for me...I had to bone up on my Duran Duran cred to get the girl.

I think "bone" is the operative word there.

LOL!

When I was about 13 or 14, I was really into the Dead. Then I started smoking pot and taking acid about halfway through year 14, and I realized exactly how much the Dead truly sucked. To this day I can't stand that crap.

I always thought it was the other way around...

Q: What did the Deadheads say when they ran out of pot?

A: This music kind of sucks

Stuff and things.

Classic rock in general. Listened to it when I first got into music, now I'm really burned out and am into way different music.

Kinda the same here...

I'm into the "less-overplayed" stuff now. Ever listen to Radio Paradise? I've found a whole new world of wonderful music by listening to internet radio.

Though I still LOVE my Pink Floyd! I never chimed in on the recent Floyd/Prog Rock thread, because I couldn't say anything that hadn't been already posted - seems to be a never ending argument.

Stuff and things.

I still like and listen to most of the stuff I used to like when I was in my teens (Zeppelin, Floyd, Genesis, ELP, Rush, Max, etc). The only music that comes to mind is Gowan.

Although I still like Criminal Mind, the rest is pretty much drivel.

Oh yeah, not a big fan of Supertramp anymore either.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

I really liked Chuck Mangione at one point, too. What was up with me on that?

Is it possible to stay awake at a Chuck Mangione concert?

I used to like Tom Jones ... well, I would never have bought his albums but we would play his tunes in clubs.

I never liked The Doors.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Awesome! :thu:

But I have to agree; I love Pink Floyd, but I can no longer listen to Dark Side, Animals or Wish You Were Here. Animals is the one that breaks my heart, as I really connected with that record on so many levels, but after playing this stuff live for a few years, I can't bear to listen to it anymore.

Zep for me too, although I can still take a dose of Physical Graffiti and III now and then.

I dont hate that music, its just that I dont want to hear it anymore.maybe once I get some distance from it. Moving Pictures by Rush is another one: whether through learning the music, and performing it, or having radio just pummel it to death, I dont want to hear those songs. Thank god radio never got ahold of MEDDLE.

Hated the Doors when I was a kid: thought everything sound like a carnival funeral dirge; now thats what I love about them.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

I really liked Chuck Mangione at one point, too. What was up with me on that?

I never liked The Doors.

As a trumpet and keyboard player player I liked Chuck until I'd seen him 100 times on TV AND eventually the "Simpsons".

Overkill on radio and/or TV is why I don't care for Fleetwood Mack, Eddie Money and many others. I can't bear another rendition of "Tom Sawyer". You'd think they could find another tune by Rush besides that!

I like the Doors better now than I used to-at least on certain songs.

"Music should never be harmless."

Robbie Robertson

I don't really *Hate* anything, but I spent my whole adolescence, 20s, 30s, 40s living for the blues in all it's forms. I played it, sang it, listened to it until I just played myself out. Nowadays - and it pains me to say this - unless there's something really different going on in a tune(which isn't really what the blues is all about), I've kinda been there, done that. Well Hell. Now I've gone and given myself the blues...

Well I woke up this mornin'

Both my cars were gone.

Yeah I woke up this mornin'

And both my cars were gone.

I got so low down disgusted

Threw my drink right across the lawn...

-Martin Mull "Suburban Blues"

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Ever listen to Radio Paradise? I've found a whole new world of wonderful music by listening to internet radio.

Thanks for the tip. Radio Paradise is awesome. I hope it lasts. Every time I get hooked on one of these altruistic, eclectic stations, they go under :( Maybe I'll throw a few bucks their way and help fend off the inevitable...

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

When I was in high school I used to really like the Doors, Hendrix, Lee Michaels, Traffic and the Mothers. Then I moved on to ELP (pretty much my only prog band, never listened much to Genesis or Yes) when they came around, fusion when it started, modern classical in college, and post college, a long evolution towards more jazz in general. Always liked a lot of pop music, especially Steely Dan, also Beatles, Led Zep etc. Then there was stuff I didn't like - CCR I think I resented for being so popular with very simple music while groups like Lee Michaels, Traffic and the Mothers were much less successful. Oh the petulant teenage mind...

Since the mid 70's when I got into funk and fusion and acoustic jazz, I pretty much stopped listening to stuff I used to like, like the Doors, Hendrix, Lee Michaels, Traffic and the Mothers, ELP etc. (still listened to new pop music, though). I would hear the new album by Zappa, Traffic, the Doors, Lee Michaels, ELP and go, "nope, not as interesting," and so I stopped listening to their stuff (although my tastes were change as well). Yes, even Zappa - always interesting, I just liked his 60's and 70's work better than what I heard in the 80's, although now I should revisit that :-)

A few years ago I started to revisit some of my old faves. I bought the first two Lee Michaels albums (the only ones I really liked), the first two Doors albums (ditto), and the first three Mothers albums (ditto), the second Traffic album, Stand Up and Benefit from Jethro Tull, etc. One thing I find is of course my ears have really grown, and I hear this music differently, so that is pretty interesting - I hear new parts, or rather, realize I wasn't listening as well or as carefully in the past. So that's cool.

I can never dislike what I used to love - true, I hear e.g. the bombast in ELP, but Emerson always had interesting harmonic ideas, and was an interesting player - he seemed to exist in a parallel universe where jazz didn't exist, and so he looked to 20th century classical to bring something different into rock/pop. Zappa, what can I say - even his early stuff was quite interesting, less virtuosic, but he was always a creative cat. Then there is stuff like Genesis - never listened to any of their stuff from the 70's, so I am catching up via YouTube - too bad I missed them at the time. I do think that stuff like the Grateful Dead, Bob Seger, Springsteen - I understand why it's popular, but find myself still uninterested. So nothing I now dislike, but I've moved on.

I think of it like running into an old girlfriend from years ago. Probably not going to get back together, but if we happen to run into each other, we can enjoy reminiscing.

Recently had a gig where the client wanted "Tequila." I've played this many times, but always as a throw away jamming' tune. So I decided what the heck, bought it on iTunes, and listened carefully to the arrangement and parts. They were a good tight band, interesting, it was so long ago it was acoustic bass, and I was never playing that bass part (I play left hand bass). I also liked the funky muted second guitar part, that kind of rides under everything, so I decided to learn that as well, which I had to practice to play with the bass part. Point here is, something I would have dismissed as old and lame was actually hip once I took the time to revisit it.

Oh, I almost forgot Having heard some CCR recently, I realized, hey, they were a tight and grooving band, there's other 3 chord music I like, so actually, here is some music I used to hate, I now at least appreciate (and might even like).

Archived