Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Funny middle school concert story...at least I think it is

stepay

My daughter plays clarinet in the 7th grade band and she had a concert Monday night. 7th grade band and then 8th grade band and then combined grades orchestra and then combined grades choir.

The choir director was using a Clavinova to automatically play the piano accompaniment while she stood up and conducted. The first song went fine. On the second one, about 5 seconds in, the tempo really took off, so she stopped, everyone laughed, and she tried again with the same result; this time the laughter was greater. She said, "so much for that" and turned the piano around and just played the song live...she received an ovation for that of course.

She had recorded the songs initially anyway, but I preferred the live playing, and she did a fine job.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cute. :)

Hey, she handled it well. All audiences appreciate when someone does that. At my show last weekend, I launched into a tune and realized somewhat belatedly that I had no idea what the first verse was. I didn't break tempo, but ran over to my ladyfriend who mouthed the first line, and then I jumped in. Got a round of applause for that. :D

It's even worse when you've been on autopilot, and realize 3/4 of the way into the song that you have no idea where you are, and what the next vocal line is.

Love the way the choir director handled that.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

It's even worse when you've been on autopilot, and realize 3/4 of the way into the song that you have no idea where you are, and what the next vocal line is.

Love the way the choir director handled that.

That's happened to me, although I don't sing many leads in my band, one time I forgot TWO verses during "Mary Jane's Last Dance". We just kept on vamping on the chord progression until the verses came to me...

A couple years ago, I saw Lindsey Buckingham live. The drummer was supposed to start a song, and he began playing the wrong one! Lindsey and the rest of the band just stopped and turned around and looked at the drummer... Lindsey said "It's been a long tour!" The band, as well as the audience got a good laugh, and the show went on. It was a fantastic show overall. I like to see a LIVE show with a mistake or mishap here and there, rather than a super-polished backing tracked lip-synched show.

Stuff and things.

The first time I saw Bruce Hornsby (early '90s), one of the songs started with a sequenced percussion loop triggered by the drummer. Bruce then played over top of the loop for a while, then the rest of the band came in. Well, on this particular night, Bruce was off by a 16th note that is, he thought the downbeat was a 16th note earlier (or later, I forget which) than it actually was. When the drummer (John Molo) realized this, he stood up and stared at Bruce with his mouth open, one hand on his hip, and an obvious look of disbelief on his face. Then he turned to the rest of the band and, making no effort at all to be subtle about it, said, "Ignore him. Here we go, 1, 2, 3, 4..." and brought them in on the (correct) downbeat. They all (including Bruce) had a good laugh about it, as did everyone in the audience who realized what had happened.

There there was the time when that chick on SNL started dancing a hoedown because the wrong song was started and blamed the band for the mistake publicly. :rolleyes:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I've done that with playing.
Estonia 190, Korg TrinityPlus, Yamaha P90, Roland PK-5a

At the start of an '80s Miles Davis concert in Rome, a powerful MIDI sequenced rhythm was played from the main console while the musicians were walking onstage; as they set their instruments and amps, they played along with the sequence. Miles, of course, only had his trumpet with mute, with an attached wireless mic, so he started playing phrases right after appearing on stage. The audience, of course, loved it.

Well, a minute or so into this, the sequence stopped abruptly, leaving a loud, long note hanging in the air... and what's worse, Miles made a gesture of disappointment, and the mute fell off from his trumpet, bouncing on the stage floor! He bent to pick it up himself, showing all the difficulties he had to move around (fortunately, he didn't lose his wig in doing so!).

It was an horrible moment. But after that, Al Foster just counted 'one, two, three..." and the whole band started "Human Nature" with incredible impact. It was a great concert.

I've done that with playing.

Way back around 1971 or 72. We hired a new singer who had been rehearsing with the band for about two weeks.

We were playing a big private party at some place way out in the woods for about 100 people. Someone was smoking a "mind altering substance" that night and I might have had a little bit myself along with a few sips of wine. I was really feeling strange.

In the middle of the 1st or 2nd song I started looking at the new singer and realized I had forgotten his NAME! It wasn't THAT important except I'd known the guy casually for several years and it was really bothering me. I was singing harmony, playing solos, announcing the songs, but through all that i just kept thinking...WHO IS THIS GUY?!

Finally around the middle of the set our Bass player introduced him. I felt this immense relief.

From that point I gave up trying to drink/smoke/whatever while playing.

"Music should never be harmless."

Robbie Robertson

Finally around the middle of the set our Bass player introduced him. I felt this immense relief.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hey, as a guy that performs under a stage name as I do, I've managed to forget my own name occasionally. Happens to the best of us. And me.

One night with my trio, we were playing "Footprints" and rippin into the solo section when all of a sudden my music light went out, kept on playing, as we got out of the solo and into the head my bench broke and I fell on my ass, the band kept right on playing, the audience burst into laughter and from my knees I finished the song, as we played the final chord my light came back on....the place went nuts....

www.dandechellis.com

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." A. Einstein

Once playing a solo gig I was playing a song and when I got to the second verse, my mind just went blank on the lyrics, I kept playing and just repeated the first verse until halfway thru when I remembered the lyric and sang the second half of the second verse. It was an original song so nobody noticed.

Once playing in a band, we were doing "Use Me" which the drummer started and I was supposed to come in with the clav part after two bars of the drum beat. But my mind went blank and I couldn't remember what I was supposed to play. After six or eight bars of the drum beat, the guitarist covered for me and started playing the clav part.

Yesterday I played Frosty the snow man at my daughter's school. I had the wrong chord sheet infront of me and was playing the wrong chords (mindlessly) for 4 bars.

Luckily it's frosty the snow man, so I was able to slip back in pretty easily.

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

Archived