Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT. Best movie you've seen in the past year.

Gismo Recording

Tom (ITGITC) posted in the "audience behavior" thread about movies and I felt I had to start a new thread to talk about what I felt was the best movie I've seen in years. Just rented it from the video store and watched it last night.

Inglourious Basterds.

This was the best movie I've seen in I don't know how long. If you haven't seen it get down to the video store ASAP and rent it. It is amazing.

So anyone else want to share what they consider the best movie they've seen in the past year?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For pure entertainment, Tokyo Gore Police is a good call.

Excellent plot featuring bad guys who spawn deadly weapons from where limbs are separated from the body, a hot japanese police chick and outrageous amounts of blood. One of the funniest movies I've seen.

When in doubt, superimpose pentatonics.

I saw Coco Before Chanel a few weeks ago and it was a great flick and Audry Tautou was amazing.
Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

Having a full time job, giging, married with small children, it can be hard to get out to movies. When we go to the movies, it's usually kid/family movies. Here are some "grown up" movies that I enjoyed:

Slumdog Millionaire (came out in 2008 but I didn't see it until 09)

Milk

The Hang Over- funny!

I will def have to see Inglorious bastards now....I love to go to the movies, especially if the soundtrack is killer...I actually go to some movies just for the soundtrack..

Last movie I saw was UP..hey, I have a niece yaknow...so Im not even going to tell you guys what movie she dragged me to awhile back....go ahead..guess..

I rarely see recent movies, though that is slowly changing as my kids get older.

I'm one who likes to see my favorite movies more than once, so in the last year I have seen either on television or from the library or at the theater some of my favorites:

Star Trek (best recent movie I've seen)

Monty Python and the Holy Grail - classic comedy

Good Will Hunting - My favorite movie

This Is Spinal Tap - My favorite comedy

The Red Violin - GREAT movie

Billy Elliot - Another GREAT movie with the best scene I've ever seen in any movie

Pee Wee's Big Adventure - Pee Wee is great.

Punch Drunk Love - Adam Sandler in a very non-Adam Sandler-type role. He is GREAT in this movie.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

I'd have to say Star Trek, seen at the Kennedy Space Center in IMAX.

Oh ya, I forgot about that one :thu: Wouldn't call it the best of the year but....

Fellas around here are always wondering what the "BEST" is.

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

With young children, I too have a hard time catching new movies (and never in the theater). Most recently, I was quite impressed with "The Wrestler" (which I think technically came out late last year). Mickey Rourke was excellent and I simply can't imagine another actor who would have been more appropriately cast than him.

I would implore all to go see "Miracle at St.Anna". I was deeply moved.

Excellent movie. :thu:

The movie I most enjoyed this year was "Orphan". :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I don't go to theaters anymore - I'm tired of paying $15 to sit through twenty minutes of commercials before the feature comes on. The movies are getting worse and worse, the ticket prices get higher and higher, the commercials get longer and longer. Done.

Is Lives of Others that German movie about STASI and the collapse of the Berlin wall? If so, I'm surprised that it made it into the mainstream USA distribution. Great movie!

And since we are on Euro movies, there's that Swedish thriller, Men Who Hate Women, which is vastly inferior to the book it's taken from, but still a good suspence movie.

And in the strange case that you could find it in the USA (or out of Italy anyway), check out "La Ragazza del Lago" (The Girl from the Lake), a little Italian film set in a small mountain vilage. It's the very first work of a very young director, and a charming mistery movie.

Zombieville...oh wait.. that was the worst...

Never heard of Zombieville, but Zombieland was great! It's not a "thinker," and it's definitely not going to win any Oscars or anything, but it was extremely entertaining and well worth the $. Out of the movies I've seen this year, it's probably the only one I'd pay to see again.

Fantastic Mr. Fox

Up

Synecdoche, New York (too bad it didn't get wider release)

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Punch Drunk Love - Adam Sandler in a very non-Adam Sandler-type role. He is GREAT in this movie.

Which also has a great maniacal soundtrack by Jon Brion.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Archived