Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland GR & FX pedals

ajlewis

I have a Roland GR 30 and I am looking to hook it up to a Digitech RP255. The GR manual is very good. However it doesn't say if the synth output is line level or not (I'm assuming it is). Basically I want to know if I would need an attenuator for the RP to accept the GR's output. (the GR has an guitar effect send/return but that's not what I want. I want the synth to be sent to the RP)

Why is it that we rejoice at a birth and grieve at a funeral? It is because we are not the person involved.

- Mark Twain -

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The GR output into the RP input should be a bit of a mismatch, line level is a bit hotter than the standard guitar output. (I seem to recall the guitar puts out -40 db and line is -10db) So -10db would be too hot for the RP input which is looking for -40db. (I am not sure of my facts, but I seem to recall it that way)

"(I seem to recall the guitar puts out -40 db and line is -10db) So -10db would be too hot for the RP input which is looking for -40db. (I am not sure of my facts, but I seem to recall it that way)"

I believe that they have split the difference on these pedals. (neither exactly line nor instrument level, somewhere in between) I don't think it will be an issue.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Well, the 'unsafe' part would be the same as plugging in any line level output into any guitar input.... possible overload distortion, and loss of treble. No damage, just unplug and make an adjustment. (Doesn't the GR have an output level control? Or at the very least, a MIDI volume adjustment, which would in effect do the same thing?)

But as I said, the RP series seems to be neither fish nor fowl when it comes tot he input impedance, according to users at Harmony Central. I could not find any posted specs on the web. From what anecdotal evidence I can find, I'd certainly try it.

Not that i would ever want to do this... as a bit of a guitar purist, I keep my guitar and synth tracks separate. But 'artists choice', ya know?

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Archived