Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

When is the Clonewheel Shootout issue coming?

Mididude

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Shootout? We don't need no steenking shootout.

XK3c is the king.

Wish I could believe this, but by the time I got my Electro 3, I was ready to toss my XK3 out the window. For everything that was great about it, there were as many things that drove me nuts. The Electro 3 solved all those issues.

I haven't played an XK3c and I would like to. However, I don't think that many updates have been made, so I am thinking I would probably have the same issues.

My band Thousand Houses: www.thousandhouses.com

Wish I could believe this, but by the time I got my Electro 3, I was ready to toss my XK3 out the window. For everything that was great about it, there were as many things that drove me nuts. The Electro 3 solved all those issues.

I haven't played an XK3c and I would like to. However, I don't think that many updates have been made, so I am thinking I would probably have the same issues.

I haven't had the chance to play the E3. That said, the Clavias still suffer from very synthetic sounding percussion from what I've heard on the old internets. What I do know is that my XK3c is light years beyond my E2s in every respect regarding the Hammond, and is light years beyond the XK3, which I have had the opportunity to use quite a few times.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I haven't had the chance to play the E3. That said, the Clavias still suffer from very synthetic sounding percussion from what I've heard on the old internets. What I do know is that my XK3c is light years beyond my E2s in every respect regarding the Hammond, and is light years beyond the XK3, which I have had the opportunity to use quite a few times.

But, the Nord's still have a better Kleslie, don't they? Which gives them a certain advantage for some applications, wouldn't you agree?

XK3c is light years beyond my E2

Watch your mouth kid, or you're gonna find yourself floating home. We'll be safe enough once we make the jump to hyperspace. Besides, I know a few maneuvers. We'll lose em'! -Han Solo

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

Shootout? We don't need no steenking shootout.

XK3c is the king.

Hmmm...B4, B4ii, EVB3...apparently they don't rate? :snax:

Yes to the Nord leslies being superior (especially E3/C2) to the XK3c sim. :thu:

I'm surprised: you guys have played the Ventura? And here, I thought I was special!

I think it will be interesting to hear the views of those who had all the latest clones in front of them at once.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

The XK3c sim blows the E2 out of the water IMO. All it takes is a little tweaking and it's much better than the E2. Can't speak to the latest Clavia sims, but they would have to be a remarkable upgrade - there are some seriously annoying issues with the fast speeds on the E2 sim.

But, the Nord's still have a better Kleslie, don't they? Which gives them a certain advantage for some applications, wouldn't you agree?

I've heard people say that, but haven't compared the two side by side myself. I'm signed up for the Clonewheel Yahoo group and people are raving lately (b4 I get flames by Tonysounds et al; possibly *justifiably raving*) about using the 'Ventilator' (outboard fx box) for a Leslie sim. A Leslie (as had been discussed on forums, in books, websites etc. many times) is a hard effect to emulate for many math/physics/acoustics-oriented reasons. I play an XK3c and I'd rate the quality of the internal sim a three and a half out of five stars.

Hammond-Suzuki XK-3c, Neo Instruments Ventilator, Yamaha MX-88, Roland ‘chainsaw’ amp with casters 😉, Mackie SRM 450’s.

Can't speak to the latest Clavia sims, but they would have to be a remarkable upgrade

And they are. Seriously. They're really great. For a dude like me who's never used a leslie and can't quite cope with the idea of gigging with a monster like that, it sounds great through my band's PA (small venue). Especially when going from stop to slow... wauw.

When in doubt, superimpose pentatonics.

Can't speak to the latest Clavia sims, but they would have to be a remarkable upgrade

And they are. Seriously. They're really great. For a dude like me who's never used a leslie and can't quite cope with the idea of gigging with a monster like that, it sounds great through my band's PA (small venue). Especially when going from stop to slow... wauw.

If you've never used a Leslie, I'm not sure you have a good frame of reference. You have to experience the real thing to properly judge a sim IMO.

Shootouts are just an excuse to argue. And we don't need an excuse around here, do we?

The OP simply asked

Anyone know? I figure I'm not the only one eager to check out their findings.

and we're already arguing about it. You're right. We didn't need an excuse, just a thread to do it in. :laugh:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

If you've never used a Leslie, I'm not sure you have a good frame of reference. You have to experience the real thing to properly judge a sim IMO.
I am confident that you, sir, are very correct! :)
When in doubt, superimpose pentatonics.

I've been experimenting a lot lately with different combinations.

VB3->internal sim

VB3->Speakeasy Decimator rig

Nord Stage->Decimator

Beatrix->Decimator

It is perhaps surprising that certain combos seem to go together better than others, even if both pieces are excellent on their own.

For instance, VB3 sounds great with its internal sim, but I haven't been able to tweak it yet to sound equally good with the Decimator. The Stage with sim disabled actually matches up better with the Decimator, even though its chorus vib are a big cut below VB3.

Gonna dust off my C programming chops and start hacking around in Beatrix, which has a great basic tone but whose sim is lacking.

Moe

---

"I keep wanting to like it's sound, but every demo seems to demonstrate that it has the earth-shaking punch and peerless sonics of the Roland Gaia. " - Tusker

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

The XK3c sim blows the E2 out of the water IMO. All it takes is a little tweaking and it's much better than the E2. Can't speak to the latest Clavia sims, but they would have to be a remarkable upgrade - there are some seriously annoying issues with the fast speeds on the E2 sim.

Agree with the fast speed issue on the Electro 2. That said, the XK3 sim has some issues of its own, namely that it just seems very thin, and has a real one-dimensional quality. The Electro 3 is a major improvement over the E2 sim. I still prefer the sim on B4 to everything else, but the Ventilator has really helped level the playing field.

Im not sure I prefer the Ventilator sim to the B4 sim only because I cant route anything through B4. But I can route anything through the Ventilator, and it does sound killer. The sim on the Ventura was pretty happening, but I got the Ventilator some time later, so I never got to compare the two.

Midinutno worries of flamewars here! People tend to speak of that which they KNOW and have 1st hand experience, as opposed to edicts handed down by folks drawing on what they imagine or assume.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Since the leslie (simulated or otherwise) is a major part of this sound, I'd sort of like to see a shoot out there. Maybe Leslie 21 system v. Mark II system v. 3300 v. Speakeasy v. some of the simulators like "Ventilator" and the built ins like the XK3c and Nord C2 and do it double blind. Frankly, the organs are so close these days, I'm pretty sure a similar test against a real B3 would produce no clear winner. Just sayin'...

I play a CX-3 and love it ... I won't say its the best but ive never heard an organ sim sound appreciably better live ... I've heard a few that are as good and it seems the newest generation has closed the gap so much that the only option to choose between clonewheels is what color you want the keyboard to be ... me, I'm a sucker for wood paneling ;)

as far as the korg vs. the NE2 - its the korg and its not really a fair fight because they are two different things ... that's actually my live set up (the cx3 and NE2) but only because the NE2 organs weren't cutting it for me - the biggest difference (and what seperates the best organs from the rest) is the leslie sim ... on the korg i think its pretty darn bullet proof on the NE2 they left some work to do ...

I've heard the NE3 and nord clonewheel are a big step up and im itching to get my hands on either ... but haven't yet

Archived