Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What bass do I need for worship music?

bradh716

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are playing with your fingers, use the B string as a thumbrest. That will keep it quiet. You can move your thumb over and put it on the E string to keep both of the strings quiet.

If you are playing with a pick, you can use your right palm to mute.

The Ibanez would be a good choice.

I found a good deal on a used Ampeg BA115 amp($265). I will most likely pick it up tomorrow.
Ampeg is a long-time, respectable bass amp manufacturer.

The BA115 is a 100 W 1x15 similar to what has been recommended here. And it has DI-out and tiltback. It also weighs in at 62 lbs with 21x21x16 dimensions (inches).

The Hartke Kickback 12 (mentioned earlier) is 120 W 1x12. (Long story short, you won't hear a difference in loudness between 100 W and 120 W.) Also DI-out and tiltback. But this guy only weighs 42 lbs with 19x15.5x16 dimensions (inches).

[Yeah, we're comparing apples (15") and oranges (12"). But even the Kickback 15 is only 47 lbs at 21.75x18x16.75.]

But it looks like you're getting the Ampeg for a good deal. (MF wants $380 new.)

For me personally I did not have good luck with a 100 W solid-state 1x15 combo in 4-piece rock bands with loud drums and guitarists who played 100 W all-tube Marshall full stacks (two 4x12 cabs). So when you say you want an amp to gig with I would say it depends on what sort of gigs you're talking about.

Certainly for a church gig my experience has been like others here in that a small 100 W combo is plenty. When I played in my church (folkie/traditional stuff) a combo was necessary because the house PA did not have monitors. :freak: Since my instructions were to always play softer than the piano a 100 W combo was more than enough for the gig.

I think you'll be fine with a 100 W combo for now, especially since it seems like you're trying to watch your budget. I'm sure you'll get a lot of differing opinions as to what you'd need for a gig with loud drums but I'd say something around 400 W with a 2x10 (combo or separates) should work fine. You can always expand that later with another cab. (I'll let someone else explain why you might want a more powerful amp for more head room.) But even if you get a bigger rig you may find you want to keep your smaller combo for softer gigs and/or practice (and maybe keep your big rig at the rehearsal space).

... I think I should go with a 5 because I don't want to be without it if I need it.

Don't sweat it too hard. I've been without one for awhile now (I know, my screen name is a misrepresentation) and I don't feel I can't live without it.

The biggest issue sound wise with the low B string is the amp & PA's ability to reproduce the notes, especially below low D, without sounding like a cow fart- that or being so quiet in the mix you can't hear it anyways. I'm not telling you don't get one, but be aware it may not sound like you think it will.

If the Ibanez fits, play it. :rawk: They seem to be a popular choice of guitarists who play bass on occasion.

It sounds like you are off to a good start on your quest.

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

I plan on trying out some Peaveys before I make my choice. I found a good deal on a used Ampeg BA115 amp($265). I will most likely pick it up tomorrow.

If you haven't already picked it up, I'd like to try to dissuade you... we bought a pair of these, one for each campus of our church, for stage monitoring/rehearsal use, and both of them have had major issues... one has been back to the shop for repairs twice, and the other was warrantied out last spring. They do not have a ground lift at all, which is a big drawback, especially in a church... churches are notorious for screwy electrical systems and ground loops... every church I've played in with maybe one or two exceptions has had horrible issues with grounding.

And none of the bass players on the team have liked them... they seem lack a lot in tone and volume. The 5 tone preset are pretty weak, and it's not very adjustable.

In my opinion these are not real Ampegs, they are just cheap amps with the Ampeg name on them.

But then, I could be thinking of a different BA115 and you may really like it... you never can tell...

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

I am a guitar player. I have an opportunity to play bass with my church worship team. Problem is, I need to buy a bass first. I can't go high-end but I don't want to end up with junk. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Any advice on brands, type of wood, length of neck, 4 string or 5 string, neck-through or bolt on, is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

How 'bout a nice 6 string?

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b203/Mattulator/guitaron.jpg

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

How 'bout a nice 6 string?

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b203/Mattulator/guitaron.jpg

Don't. I've wanted a bajo sexto for years! 1) Go find one. 2) Find a lefty! The quest continues...

But it certainly would add a, um, vibe to a church service...

Just got in from GC with a 4 string MIM P Bass and an Ampeg 112. I was more comfortable with the P than the Jazz and the P was $50 less. The 112 isn't as big as what I was looking for, but I think it will serve me well for now. I think I made a good choice for a first bass. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Just got in from GC with a 4 string MIM P Bass and an Ampeg 112. I was more comfortable with the P than the Jazz and the P was $50 less. The 112 isn't as big as what I was looking for, but I think it will serve me well for now. I think I made a good choice for a first bass. Thanks to everyone for the advice.
I think you're in great shape, Brad. Does your amp have a line out? If it does you can run it into the sound board and use it as an on-stage monitor - helpful when the older folks in the congregation start complaining that you play too loud and you have to turn down... :laugh:

Does your amp have a line out? If it does you can run it into the sound board and use it as an on-stage monitor - helpful when the older folks in the congregation start complaining that you play too loud and you have to turn down... :laugh:

Not much chance of that with the 112.

Nice score on the P.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Nice score Brad. Ya can't go wrong with a Precision bass.

In case you hadn't heard the next requirement is to post pics of the bass and amp. They really don't exist without pics ya know. :smile:

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

Does your amp have a line out? If it does you can run it into the sound board and use it as an on-stage monitor - helpful when the older folks in the congregation start complaining that you play too loud and you have to turn down... :laugh:

If they are anything like the ones at my church, you could be using a little 3" personal battery powered amp and they'd still complain...

The BA115's we have have DI's but they are too noisy to use... hopefully his 112 will not have that problem.

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

If they are anything like the ones at my church, you could be using a little 3" personal battery powered amp and they'd still complain...

:laugh: Yeah, mine, too. Whenever I played at an "acceptable" level I couldn't hear myself, and people whose assessment I trust in the congregation told me they could barely hear me, either. I stepped down from the worship team some months ago, but I'd gotten to the place where I decided to play as loud as I wanted; if they didn't like it they could chuck me off the team. Well, the truth is I don't really play too loud anyway, but nobody fired me so I guess they adjusted. :D I recommend this approach. Most times you're their only option for a bass player, but if they have somebody else they like better, step down with grace and humility. Who needs the agita?

:laugh: Yeah, mine, too. Whenever I played at an "acceptable" level I couldn't hear myself, and people whose assessment I trust in the congregation told me they could barely hear me, either. I stepped down from the worship team some months ago, but I'd gotten to the place where I decided to play as loud as I wanted; if they didn't like it they could chuck me off the team. Well, the truth is I don't really play too loud anyway, but nobody fired me so I guess they adjusted. :D I recommend this approach.

This is the approach I have taken recently as well... turns out the worship leader is a huge fan of big, aggressive bass playing... who knew?:thu:

And, I believe I even have them convinced to go amp shopping next time the budget rolls around...

:rawk:

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

Nice score on the P.

According to the pics on MF, the BA112 has a 1/4 line out, which could go to a DI box.

Rock on.

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

It might be considered unseemly to be photographed playing music in church, but, if you can't give us an action shot, please try for a nice pic of the bass on a stand aside the amp. Surely, even the pastor could recognize the value that your experience here hs brought to what he sees and hears, and would sanction that.
Founder of the G&L JB-2 Legion

http://www.musicallyyours.co.uk/Portals/0/musicallyours%20images/Guitars%20&%20Bass%20Images/BC%20Rich/Guitars/sm_war_metalmaster.jpg

Somebody had to do it.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Archived