Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil PC3K

Dave Bryce

Dave: I was browsing through the PC3 manual. VAST is quite different from "ordinary" sample playing engine architecture.

VAST in the PC3x isn't that different from ordinary samplers. The PC3x uses samples in ROM. The difference is that the PC3K will allow us to add to these samples.

Kurzweil PC3X | Nord Electro 3 61 | EV SxA360s

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think I just found a few answers to some of my questions. Still some more documentation of keymaps and VAST would be appreciated. :)

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

Be sure to check the sonikmatter and mastering vast forums as well for good kurz info.

The PC3 and PC3K are full blown synths with plenty in the way of resonant filters of many varieties (1-4 pole versions of bandpass, allpass, notch, low pass, high pass, plus other DSP like shapers and quantizers) with user programmable algorithms (something the K didn't have), and the ability to route one layer into another's DSP, up to 32 layers.

For the most part, it's a step above the K as a synth.

The K series DSP not in the PC3 is minimal - and we're going to try to add some of those K algs into the PC3K.

One big step up from the K is with the virtual analog DSP oscillators - the K's DSP generated saw and square waves really had a lot of aliasing above middle C. The PC3's oscillators have very little noticeable aliasing.

Be sure to check out the instructional vids on our site - they cover the entire synth engine section by section, with a good overview as well as a few chapters on the effects section.

www.kurzweil.com

I had thought that the manual had a complete list of keymaps... I'll do some digging and get it into an updated version.

And I'll post here when I find the list.

If you look to the right of these postings, you'll see that Google is informing us that Ethan Kurzweil is a really nice guy. :-)

They make no mention of Ray, however. I've met Ray (don't know who Ethan is), and he really is a nice guy! I should tell Google.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Be sure to check the sonikmatter and mastering vast forums as well for good kurz info.

The PC3 and PC3K are full blown synths with plenty in the way of resonant filters of many varieties (1-4 pole versions of bandpass, allpass, notch, low pass, high pass, plus other DSP like shapers and quantizers) with user programmable algorithms (something the K didn't have), and the ability to route one layer into another's DSP, up to 32 layers.

For the most part, it's a step above the K as a synth.

The K series DSP not in the PC3 is minimal - and we're going to try to add some of those K algs into the PC3K.

One big step up from the K is with the virtual analog DSP oscillators - the K's DSP generated saw and square waves really had a lot of aliasing above middle C. The PC3's oscillators have very little noticeable aliasing.

Be sure to check out the instructional vids on our site - they cover the entire synth engine section by section, with a good overview as well as a few chapters on the effects section.

www.kurzweil.com

I had thought that the manual had a complete list of keymaps... I'll do some digging and get it into an updated version.

And I'll post here when I find the list.

Enough Good Sir,

To Whom do i Write the check?

Interresting how just 128 MB of sample can change ones mind - forget about SV1, Nord Piano and even the new Yamahas - I want a PC3K! :)

Thanks Dave for all quick answers!

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

While we're at it - does anybody have recommendation on nice brass section samples for Kurzweils? A bit of googling and I found the Quantum leap brass, but it's really pricey - and all I'm after is one good brass section with a few articulations, mainly falls, swells and maybe a shake, and if it's available as download, like the KeySolutions pianos it's even better.

Gosh - I'm speaking as if I already have the PC3K... well - I will have one! :)

I seem to recall Q Up Arts having one, but I don't know how to find their stuff anymore as they either got bought or changed their name recently.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

www.kurzweil.com

Dave, can you please be a little more specific on where i can find these videos? I really could need to find out how to understand the effects on the PC3.

Thanks.

Yamaha CP50, Kurzweil PC3K7, Moog Voyager, Voce V5+, Motif ES rack, EX5-R Roland D-550, Rhodes MkII, Hammond B3.

Go to the Kurzweil web site. When the PC3X displays on their changing main menu, click on it. Once on the PC3X (or PC3 or PC361), click the video tab.

Then click on the desired viceo - total of 16 of them. Once you start one of them, there are instructions on how to download it if you wish to download instead of stream (or if you have a slow connection), also instructions on where to get a video player that will play them.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Archived