Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil PC3K

Dave Bryce

Dave:

Unrelated to the Kurzweil: there appears to be a typo in the Nocturn steet prices (the 49 key is $50 less than the 25 key)...hopefully you haven't gone to the printer yet.

Sam

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is great news. Kurzweil really IS back. Lots of new keyboards recently. I like the idea that the PC3 series now has a "K" version with sample memory. That makes it a "true" workstation class KB. :thu:

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

This is great news. Kurzweil really IS back. Lots of new keyboards recently. I like the idea that the PC3 series now has a "K" version with sample memory. That makes it a "true" workstation class KB. :thu:

Cheers,

Mike T.

When I heard about this, one of my first thoughts was, "hey Mike T will love this."

I know you were wanting to see sample RAM in the PC3 :)

And on that note, can you or someone else explain to me how you would use sample RAM in a performance KB? I've always been inclined to find a few sounds that I like and let it go at that, but maybe I'm missing something . . .

"Performance KB" or "Performance Controller" is just a name, derived from the PC2 and PC88 performance controllers.

You would use sample memory in the PC3K just like you would in our older K series workstations or in any other keyboard that has user sample memory. The PC3 is a more advanced synthesizer than what had been our top of the line - the K2600. You can map samples across the keyboard, run them through DSP filters, assign them to be velocity-switched, mix them with synth oscillators - all the same things that were done with the preset factory samples.

Some players are indeed satisfied with finding a few preset sounds - and that's a good thing or I'd be out of a job as a sound designer! But some musicians - the Andrew Lloyd Weber guys are a good example - need very specific sounds for a show. Whether it's sound effects, like explosions, doors opening, crowd noise, fog horn, etc or specific instruments like Irish whistle, harmonium, or a zither, certain musicians absolutely rely on the ability to load their own samples. This is why up until now, the ALW guys and many other Broadway shows have hung on to their aging K2600s, in spite of the outdated connectivity (floppies and SCSI).

Some players just like to use their own samples. They'll sample their old favorite Rhodes that's down in the basement, assign the samples to key ranges, apply some insert effects, etc.

The last use I can think of is using sample memory to play entire phrases or snippets of music. When the B-52s play Love Shack live, their keyboardist, Paul Gordon, has all the horn section parts cut up into short 1-bar phrases sampled from the album, that he can trigger with individual keys.

The good news is that in this day and age, keyboardists don't HAVE to sample their own sounds (or purchase sample libraries) if they don't want to. Pretty much every manufacturer out there provides a huge amount of presets in their boards nowadays.

Back when the earth was cooling, and we were playing Emulators, Mirages and S-50s, it was a different story... and a lot of work!

(But fun for some of us.)

Great Explanation Dave Weaver, thanks! As far as Mike Davis's question and how it relates to how I use my KB, I use my Yamaha Motif ES for a OMB classic rock show. I use the sampler primarily for sound effects that are not resident in the Motif's ROMS. There ARE quite a few SE on the Motif, but I need others. Some examples are the Hot Car peel out on "Anthony's Song" (Billy Joel), Seagull sounds on Grank Funk Railroad's "Closer to my home", that I use in conjunction with ocean and wind SE that are in the Motif's SE banks. A rain and thunder SE setup for Creedence CW's "Who'll Stop the rain", which of course is not on the original record, but people certainly notice it! There are numerous other songs that I use SE's on, and it has worked out well for me for years.

I also load up sounds from the previous Motif sound files that are on the disks that Yamaha provided with my Motif, and it is loaded into Volatile memory. So I load my voices when I boot up my Motif, and all the sounds that are not resident on the Motif load into the user banks I assigned them too previously. Without looking it up in the manual, I don't recall WHAT memory the sound files are loaded into (sample ram or not) but they are not there when I turn on my Motif before loading my voice banks.

I get SE files off the internet (I LOVE space sound effects!) and many SE disks can be purchased on line if you need specific files that you can't find for free on the Internet.

A sampler or at least a sample play-back feature on a workstation is mandatory for me or else I'm not a potential buyer, period.

Judging by the number of "K" series owners out there, they have a ton of customers waiting for this new board! Cheers to Kurzweil for bringing this feature into the PC3 series. :thu::love:

And ya Dave Bryce, the S-50 was not a whole lot of fun! :sick:

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

This is great news! I haven't read the product specs yet, but Dave Weiser's writeups here are an excellent introduction. I will relay this information to my employer tomorrow so that they can alert all the Broadway-oriented stage shows we are working with at the moment, many of whom probably do not check the web regularly.

I think a lot of these shows will be very excited, as they might otherwise have had to contemplate going to a Niko/Meko/etc. setup.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

This may be the board I've been looking for (if any of you remember some of my previous rants). I'm glad I held off on the M3/Radius purchase. VA, Sampling, Sequencing, and ROMpler in one board without having to "preload" from media every time I power it up.... sounds promising.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Originally posted by: Dave Bryce

Nonsense. The S-50 wasn't fun for anyone...

I had an S-550 with a small monitor; loved the sound, tedious to work with. :eek: Now the ASR10 and K2000, that was a different story! :thu:

Composer/Performer at Roger Hooper Music

Product Trainer at CASIO

www.rogerhooper.com

Dave Weiser,

Your examples of the 3 types of players was excellent! I think the days of working with the Emulators and Mirages are the digital equivalent of our parents walking to school in 10 feet of snow....particularly the Mirage. :D

Composer/Performer at Roger Hooper Music

Product Trainer at CASIO

www.rogerhooper.com

Presumably you could now load an excellent high-resolution piano sample set, such as the one from Bolder Sounds or K-Sounds, in K2600 format, without the usual penalty of 45 minutes load time as on the Yamaha MOTIF ES series. :-)

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I guess a few of you have used K2000/2500/2600's over the years. Has anyone any experience with Sweetwater's Grand Piano cd-rom? The demos I heard back in '98 was really impressive - still have the mp3-demo and it still sounds very natural and impressive... :) I'm sure that the William Cloakey-samples are great too, but cost three times as much. Also - if I'm reading it correctly, the Sweetwater contains besides the three "mega-pianos", all samples from the original disks, which according to my old mp3 demo is from twelve different grands.

Any other great K2000 piano cd's still on the market? This one "used by Carlo" - which one is that?

I'm really excited about this new Kurzweil - about the only thing that kept me from buying a PC3 to replace my old PC88 and the Korg TR76 is the lack of a good piano sample, the triple strike is not my cup of tea, but with sample RAM you could have the grand piano sample of your choice kinda like Nord Stage, but even more flexible.

So to sum up - what samples do you use / have used in your Kurzweils? Would be nice to hear also if you have favorite drums/guitars/basses/other samples as well. (hmmm, maybe this could be a thread of its own...) :)

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

Any other great K2000 piano cd's still on the market? This one "used by Carlo" - which one is that?

This one - KeySolutions Sounds

Here is a clip of Carlos playing it (the second track)

Demos

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Damn - that KeySolutions Steinway sounds really good - and quite cheap too! $29.95 for the 64 MB version - and you can buy it as a download. This makes me GAS even more for the PC3K :)

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

I don't have a PC3 - but I have a PC2 and a K2600R - both have the classic keys rom installed and I think that they are great - they probably even sound better in the PC3 - as far as other cd roms - I love the Real Rhodes CD Rom from Pyramid Sound - and I have always loved the RSI collection Synergy - it's probably very dated now but when I got my first K2000 I loved those ep's layered w breath sounds. Very cool.

Of course I'm biased, but I think you'll find the on board EPs in the PC3 - rhodes, wurly, pianet, CP80, RMI, etc., are all good enough that you might not need anything else.

If you'd like to hear some of the preset EPs.....

Our website has about 70 short audio demos of individual sounds - just click on PC3 and you'll see a series of tabs across the middle of the page - one of them will be for AUDIO.

www.kurzweil.com

If anyone has specific questions about the PC3K or anything else, feel free to shoot me an email. davew@ycrdi.com

BTW The Pyramid collection is top notch imho.

Dave: I was browsing through the PC3 manual. VAST is quite different from "ordinary" sample playing engine architecture. I wonder if there's any list describing the different algorithms? Then my concern - aren't there resonant filters in the VAST engine - in the manual the only filters listed seems to be in the effect processors - am I getting it wrong? Only having filters in effect processors seems like a limitation, since ordinary filter are per voice.

Also - is there a list of the multisamples in the PC3? I didn't found any such in the manuals.

Then you also somewhere you mentioned that the K-series had blocks that the PC3 doesn't have - can you give some examples of missing blocks / differences?

So on the whole - is the PC3 a full blown VAST synth, even more programmable than the K-series, or is it maybe more powerful, but less programmable / flexible?

Don't get me wrong - I'm really interrested in the PC3K, just wanna be sure that it is everything I'm hoping it is. :)

Archived