Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil PC3K

Dave Bryce

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HoBoyHoBoyHoBoy!!!!!! :laugh::thu:
I was trying to recall who the someone was who would be excited by this. Now I remember.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

That looks wonderful. Based on past experience with Kurzweil I wouldn't expect to actually be able to buy one of these until sometime in mid 2011. (I'm not engaging in hyperbole, does anyone remember the years of waiting for the PC3X to finally make it to the market?) The sooner the better though.

The Kurz site says "FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE". :freak:

That looks wonderful. Based on past experience with Kurzweil I wouldn't expect to actually be able to buy one of these until sometime in mid 2011. (I'm not engaging in hyperbole, does anyone remember the years of waiting for the PC3X to finally make it to the market?) The sooner the better though.

Really. Yes, it took forever for them to get the original PC3(X?) out, and they had a bunch of updates for it once it did ship. But now that the core of it is done, the other PC3s shipped pretty much when they said they would, IIRC.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

It says that at the top of every press release I've ever seen! When one can actually buy the item described is a whole 'nother story.

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

I'm waiting for the PC3H. The "H" stands for "HowdoIexplainthistomywife".

I have a few keys from that series.....

I also have a few "Hidethembehindthefurnituredownstairs" keyboards as well.

:rimshot:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Believe me, I'm hoping this thing gets released as soon as possible. I'll buy the first four of them. It will solve a lot of problems for those of us who have to use original samples in high pressure live performance situations. This isn't just another OS update to the PC3 though. For years I've been told that it would never be possible to add user sample functions to the PC3. Splicing in K2 series compatibility and this new non-volatile sample memory are big, complex changes. We'll need a few OS revisions on this for sure.

I still remember waiting over two years for the "To be released immediately!" KDFX.

HERE is a link to the Sonik forum where Dave Weiser from Kurzweil gives more information.

Right. The PC3K is a new keyboard that requires new internal hardware, so PC3 keyboards can NOT be upgraded to PC3K models.

If you really need the PC3K, I would suggest selling your PC3 series before most of the world sees the PC3K.

Also not that Dave Weiser from Kurzweil assumes the new PC3X 88 will street around $3,500, which is $500 more than the current PC3 88.

Dave has not given that much detail - although I personally am very much hoping for a plug-in ROM that would fit the PC3, the LE, and the PC3K that would have a really fine new acoustic piano. All he says about the ROMs at present is that Kurzweil is working on ROMs.

If I were buying next spring, I'd certainly consider the PC3K (it will be made available in 61, 76, and 88 key versions). Since I already have the 76 & 88 PC3, and also have a K2661 - I'm pretty well covered for the moment.

Dave DID say that this hybrid is not the last thing that they are working on. Just as a guess, I'd say that the 128mb RAM limit was a quicker way of designing something with a reasonable amount of backward compatibility - listed at 100% for samples, and estimated 80% for patches (since the algorithms available are different, and produce different effects).

I think the product will fit a market segment - and I do wonder if all three versions will continue - the LE at low end, the K at high end (until they do really come out with the next ultra-high end) leaves the original PC3 as perhaps future fallout. According to another thread on Sonik, they have sold over 8,000 of the original PC3 (in all 3 versions). That sales record has undoubtedly freed up some additional financing by upper management for new product.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Dave Weiser has mentioned that the PC3K was a quick way for them to supply the demand of musical theatre productions who've been using K series synths for years to be able to load their patches into the PC3 and take advantage of the higher DSP power.

The 128MB of sample memory seems tame, but keep in mind that it's non-volatile and therefore needs no loading time.

As far as new piano samples are concerned, their will be expansion roms released for the PC3 series probably within a year from now. Whether or not they'll have new piano samples is to be determined.

If not, expect Kurzeil's next major product to be a successor to the K2600, which will surely have a new sample set including a new piano sample. There are no official announcements, but Dave has mentioned a few times that they company has long term plans and they're working on several new products. The Kseries has always been their flagship, so I can't see why the legacy wouldn't continue.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

The PC3K will be priced a couple hundred bucks below the Nord 73EX with the PC3K having half the memory.

Will it compete? I thought the original pricing on the PC3 series was attractive and a little less so now. Used PC3s at $1,600 or go new with 128MB samples for another grand?

Anyone with a bunch of ASR or K2000 samples converted to .wav will love it I guess. But wouldn't they love the Nord for a little more with twice the sample memory?

Howdy...

We should be on schedule to release the PC3K sometime around March. When I have a more exact date I will post again.

Plenty of time to sell my juno-G, and save up the gig-money for the diference, i'll be in LA in june so it all works out great.

im glad you hang around here Dave,

Im just wondering if its not too much of a giveaway, will you relase a 61-key version?

man, im lovin' this forum, i've should've moved here years ago....

Dave did announce on Sonik forum that there would be 61, 76, & 88 key versions of the PC3K. Did not announce which would be the first production run, though.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Archived