Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Upgrading to Logic Studio 9

gangsu

This is my first upgrade. I just rec'd the pkg in the mail... and holy cow there are 9 discs!

I was thinking of doing a complete erase and install due to some messed up permissions - if I go this route can I simply type in my registration # for Logic 8 when asked or do I need to start at the beginning with a Logic 8 install.

.. or I suppose I could do an archive and install rather than "erase"?

Hope that makes sense. Thanks for any advice!

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks TinderArts. Yeah, permission repair didn't help and there's a warning list longer than the screen.

No problem then if I have to start with 8. Just wanted to know how many hours to set aside.

It takes time just to do the 9 upgrade. You can likely skip the loops install with 8 and just install them when you do 9. That'll save some time.

Once you finish the full OS and Logic install, do a time machine backup so you don't have to go through this more than once.

It's gonna take awhile! I'd just do it on a day you're doing lots of stuff around the house and can check back in with your computer ever 20 minutes or so.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I think the upgrade install might clean up permissions. Most installs that use the Apple installer should, IIRC.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Why would you erase 8?? I really dont think its nec to erase 8, then reinstall it to do an upgrade...I agree w/ Muscara.

I generally repair permissions quite often actually, good habit to get into. I dont think you even need 8 on the machine to do the upgrade..you just need your numbers, so if you did wipe 8, you could simply do a clean install of 9.

Let me reiterate...I did a LP9 upgrade on a quad a few weeks ago...there were no versions of LP on the machine...I have 7, so my numbers are on an iLok, just stuck er in and started loading 9..so you dont need any version of LP on a machine to do an upgrade..I think its upgrade in name only as its the full version of LP..and I wouldnt go mixing any parts, say the jam packs from 8 or 9 or whatever..your decision should be to either wipe 8 and upgrade or dont wipe 8...and upgrade...just make sure you gotz yer numbers. The install only took about 2 hours.

I upgraded from Logic 8 to Logic 9 on my Quad G5. I did not uninstall or remove anything, I just ran the install and all of the disks. No problems at all. Logic 9 rocks. I also installed on my MacBook Pro (Intel) and due to limited disk space, I did remove all previous Apple Loops and other stuff to make room for a full install. Also, no problems at all. With Logic 9 on my MacBook, a 4 octave USB keyboard and a Duet, I can roll in to just about any studio situation carrying everything under my arm and all the instrument bases covered. Just keep the serial number is Stickies, so you can cut and paste it in if you're asked for it. Finish install, run Disk Utility, restart computer, and you're ready to rock (or jazz, or country, etc.)

I just installed the Logic 9 upgrade on a brand new Mac Pro that had never had Logic 8 on it. All I needed was my Logic 8 serial number to install the upgrade.

BTW, this computer (2.66 GHZ Mac Pro Quad, w/8 gigs of RAM) Rocks! It's replacing a single processor G5, and I am so stoked!

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

With Logic 9 on my MacBook, a 4 octave USB keyboard and a Duet, I can roll in to just about any studio situation carrying everything under my arm and all the instrument bases covered.

Ain't that the truth! I have a very similar rig and the portability makes for some great possibilities.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

It's sooooo great being able to go to a session and everything fits in the front passenger seat of my car. And without having to compromise sound and instrument quality.

Back in the day... you'd have to weigh (no pun intended) which keyboards and modules you'd need to bring and often, once you were there, would find yourself thinking, "damn I should've brought the "xyz" module too."

But with all the instruments in Logic alone, never mind all the amazing 3rd party instruments you could have too, it's like pulling up to a session with a semi-truck full of every keyboard and synth you might need. Piano, Rhodes, Wurly, B3, mono synths, poly synths, modeling synths, Ultrabeat, not to mention a sampler with everything else and the kitchen sink. All in one little laptop. Sweet.

Just pulled the erase trigger on the MacBook so i'm in the update lineup from 5.2 ...

Doesn't seem logical to be able to do an upgrade without first installing the original, but hey, if all they want is a Serial number, I'm happy. Gotta love Apple. ;)

gangsu - Logic doesn't need 8 to do the upgrade because even when you "upgrade" you're basically doing a complete fresh install of the new version. The installer only needs the old version's serial number to confirm it's OK to install. It can either find the serial number in the previously installed version or you can provide it. I started with Logic 7 Express, then upgraded to Logic 8 Pro, then Logic 9 Studio. At one point they all happily coexisted on my machine and removing the old ones didn't upset the new one.
Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

Gangsu, if you're upgrading from version 5, I believe all you have to do is plug in your XSKey as proof of having a previous version. When I installed 8, coming from 6, this worked, and the other day when I installed 9, it was one of the options given. Unfortunately, I couldn't find my XSKey and had to track down my version 8 serial number instead.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Archived