Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Completely OT: 50 Pounds

kenfxj

any time you can lose significant weight and keep it off is a major accomplishment. i used to weigh around 280 to 285 pounds at 6 feet tall; i didn't really want to be near a scale in those days.

through the course of about three years i dropped to the 205 range and stayed there for another 5. that may sound funny, but i've since run full and half marathons, a 25k race, and competed in some sprint triathlons, and my weight fluctuates quite a bit based on my training schedule.

i did it with weight watchers, which works exactly like your doctor had you doing. that's the only sustainable way to keep the weight off.

as one who has done it and sustained it, CONGRATULATIONS and welcome to the club! you've done it, too, and you can sustain it, too.

robb.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my friends gave me this simple advice which allowed me to drop 30 pounds: Cut out the beer and eat oatmeal for breakfast and a tossed salad for lunch every weekday. Then eat something non-mega indulgent for dinner (steak every once in awhile is fine, but no fast food). Make desserts a rarity. YMMV, but I was amazed at how this simple diet change (not a "diet") did wonders for my weight and cholesterol levels.

I gave up beer (for the most part) by changing my "god, what a long day at work" drink of choice to red wine, which also helps with the cholesterol thing (in moderation).

I can't stand exercise for exercise's sake, but during the warm seasons I do quite a bit of cycling now, which is fun and helps as well.

I also have dropped weight by modifying my eating habits. No sodas (or very little), same for candy (my weakness!).Watch how much refined carbs you eat (cereals,pasta, etc)and tons of salad. I've been using a book about how to put your metabolism to work.

I began at 210 and now I'm around 198. I want to reach 190, but am not in a hurry. If I try to lose them fast, I'll gain them fast again.

Three things.

1. Up (down?) to 53 pounds.

2. Shoveled snow for three hours this morning. I was very pleased with how good I felt cardio-wise. Of course my back is completely spasming but the heart seems to be doing surprisingly well.

3. I picked up a 50 pound bag of ice melt this morning. Threw it over my shoulder to carry it into the house. I can't believe I used to carry that much everywhere. Damn.

Push the button Frank.

• 2 months later...

Way to go! I hope to follow your lead. My wife & I joined a gym late in January. I've lost 15 so far, feel much better cardio-wise (i.e. the rowing machine doesn't totally kick my a** this week like it did last week). I'm also in 46 pants, would love to shop for something smaller than 40.

Aside from that, I bothered to shop at American Eagle Outfitters this last weekend. I saw a pair of 46" low-rise jeans. 46" low-rise sounds like a recipe for crack exposure.

- Matt W.

Good going people. It's tough, I know. I dropped quite a bit of weight when I was about 18 and kept it off for about 15 years and even though I kept the good habits, it came back. I have to get back on track again but life is different now and being out of house for work about 13 hours a day and trying to spend some time with my little one leaves me about 8 hours to do everything else I have to do, including sleep. Also, let me tell you, your metabolism is different as your get older too. Excuses I know but I do quite a bit of walking and work around the house, even though it's not the same. It's a lifelong task to keep yourself in some sort of health. One thing that always bothered me though are those charts that show your proper weight for your height. When I was within about 20 pounds of that magic number, I was weak and sickly, I didn't feel better until I started scaling back my diet and put back on 10-15 pounds. If I weighed 160, I'd be near death, but I do need to get back to 190-200.
If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Awesome Dude! Keep it up, bass-brother!

I lost about 120 pounds of dead weight early last year. How did I do it? It's called the separation and divorce diet. :cool:

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Archived