Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Completely OT: 50 Pounds

kenfxj

Late this past summer I finally came to the conclusion that I'd taken the big, fat bass player stereotype way too far. I'm 6'3", but 300+ pounds was out of control. I set the goal through modification of eating habits and exercise to lose 50 by year end. Well I hit it this morning.

I'm posting this in hopes that making it public will help me continue down the road to a healthier and (hopefully) longer life.

I still want to lose at least 10, preferably as much as 30 more pounds by next year's softball season.

Thanks for the self-indulgence! :wave:

Push the button Frank.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good for you. I did it once about 20 years ago, people have no idea how hard it is, or how hard it is to go through your daily life carrying extra weight. You have to change your entire life at it gets harder the older you get.

I look forward to congratulating you again on your next milestone.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Nice work, bro.

Losing weight is like quitting smoking -- it's pain in the process, but people rarely regret having done it afterward.

No one ever says "If only I'd kept smoking..." or "I wish I'd kept that weight on."

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Congratulations!

I need to follow your example and shed a few myself. Those of you who follow me on FB may have noticed I was cheering for Danny on Biggest Loser. He's a personal friend I played with a few years back in the church band. Watching his transformation has been inspirational. It's a matter of getting to it.

- Matt W.

50 in a year is good and reasonable. you will probably have a better chance of keeping it off that way. Good for you!

We have changed our eating habits - lots of whole this and unprocessed that - but we still have trouble with the exercise part.

Thanks for the support everybody. It's helpful and very much appreciated.

Yeah, Steve. Keeping it off. Have to keep working. I quit smoking, I can do this.

Jeremy, this morning I picked up two 25 pound dumbbells and walked around the house a bit. It's amazing. It's also amazing how stuff like this can sneak up on you...

Push the button Frank.

Yeah, Steve. Keeping it off.

I lost almost 100 pounds one year. I did a lot of biking and Jenny Craig. It hasn't stayed off. I didn't gain it all back, but I did gain a bunch again. Not to minimize quitting smoking or drinking, but at least you don't need to do those to live. food can be the devil.

Anyway, I'm glad you are better at keeping it off than me.

Good for you K-k-k-Ken.

I lost 50 4 years ago by quitting drinking and getting out from behind a desk. I am 6' and went from 215 to 165. I still feel the after effects in my knees.

Nowadays I have a hard time keeping weight on.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Big time congrats!

I'm shooting for losing 20-30 lbs in the coming months. I don't think most people would think of me as overweight (6'4" 230 lbs) but I know I would feel a lot better if I could get a bit more trim (I'm a former athlete so I know what it feels like to be in reasonably good shape).

We're going to do a corporate "Biggest Loser" sort of competition at my office early next year. I'm thinking the the competitive elemenent could be a pretty good motivator to get me to my goal.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Losing weight is like quitting smoking

Not really. You can avoid smoke and smokers but you still have to eat.

Yes but there's a difference between eating to live or living to eat. Unfortunately, I'm a member of the latter club :(

Each year my NY resolution is to lose weight. I get fatter every year. I'm thinking it's connected, so this year I'm not including it in my list of resolutions :grin:

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

...Tell us how you did it.

No celery or cottage cheese or any fad diets. Portion control. Cut way down on the snacks. I eat pretty much what I like to eat, just less of it.

45 minutes to an hour of exercise a day (I make the time). I do a lot of walking. I've been blessed with three great teenage kids who actually like to take a walk with their dad. One of the best time of my day is walking and talking with my son or one of my daughters. If they're not around I take the opportunity to enjoy my MP3 player. Yesterday I walked with The Who. I've also been renewing upper body work. My wife (an RN) says I've put on at least ten pounds of muscle as well. I've always heard adding muscle tissue helps burn calories even at rest.

The next three weeks are gonna be the toughest. I hope I'll be OK. I think my mind's in the right place.

Push the button Frank.

Ken, this is really terrific. Congratulations. I wish you the best as you enter the holiday season and all the treats and meals that come with that.

Also, I hope you see some pay-off at your next physical exam with the doc in terms of blood test results, heart rate, etc. If that's the case, I would not be surprised if you found that a source of inspiration going forward to continue with a healthier lifestyle.

Again, congratulations.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Ken, not that you didn't know this already but...

If you have a bad day and cheat a bit it's OK, don't beat yourself up about it. Return to the plan.

If you are truly craving something, have it. Try to not let it be too late in the day though and eat less of it that you used to.

Sit down, relax, eat small bites and take your time enjoying every aspect of the food instead of throwing down an unknown amount of food while paying attention to something else.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Very good points butch.

The Egg Sandwich is one of my favorite things (along with chocolate eclairs and Buffalo wings) that I never had much more than once a month but I've sacrificed in the interest of getting healthy.

...I eat pretty much what I like to eat...

Push the button Frank.

No celery or cottage cheese or any fad diets. Portion control. Cut way down on the snacks. I eat pretty much what I like to eat, just less of it.

That's what my doctor has recommended for me to do. Just eat less than I do now. I've heard that your stomach is normally about the size of your fist and your meal sizes should be about the same.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

The Egg Sandwich is one of my favorite things (along with chocolate eclairs and Buffalo wings)

A chocolate eclair is to a Belgian what a donut is to an American ...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_m-5Kc_3lk1M/SXI5dq5MH6I/AAAAAAAAAlg/KFm2-ctMHl8/s320/drooling_homer-712749.gif.png

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Congrats Ken.

I need to drop 30. I started eating differently a few weeks ago, but I've crept back to old habits. It's been a struggle with the exercise as well.

I can feel the difference - I'm at a point where I'm on a line. If I drop 5-10, I feel it immediately. And my blood numbers (including liver count) shows it.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived