Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

HCKSS brings the LOL's!

yorgatron

+1000000 to this entire thread and KC. Joining this forum was one of the best things I could've done at this stage of my life and my musical career. I've gotten advice on everything I wanted, been able to contribute what little I had without any real problems and learnt more about gear, playing, the music industry and great artists than I could imagine. You guys are fantastic.

Ditto to all of the above. . . . . + this forum is great FUN ! ! ! :D

You can't help but be amused by the directions threads sometimes go in, and the witty posts that appear.

It's not only been an education, but has really cheered me up while I've been off work due to ill health.

Well done & thanks to everyone on the forum - :thu:

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hazing?....Nah. Since I've been here I've been involved in some lively, maybe even heated debates (remember the "art" or "craft" discussion of a few months back. I have also been called upon to defend my disparagement of all things hip hop and as a result have opened my ears, at least a little bit. The difference between this forum and others is that this one is composed of serious people who have the grace and experience to not take themselves too seriously. Glad to be here.

The difference between this forum and others is that this one is composed of serious people who have the grace and experience to not take themselves too seriously. Glad to be here.

It's the PEOPLE here that make the forum what it is.

I quickly realized that once I became involved and started posting here.

Said it before, but bears repeating... In the beginning I thought of this forum as I would a group of musos hanging out at the local pub on a Friday afternoon after work - just shooting the breeze.

Then I started meeting guys in person and realized there is an honest connection. It isn't totally about bragging about the gear we own - although that is a big part of it. :) And there isn't a great deal of snobbery between newbies and the professional musicians.

Sure, the guy who comes onto the forum asking newbie questions without doing a search is going to learn, quickly, that this is important... Sven Golly, "Google Is Your Friend." Poor guy. I think this really pushed his buttons. And although I originally thought his responses were a bit harsh, he got his message across. And I think the forum is better for it.

And we get the perspective of the guys who are touring and trying to keep a roof over their head by playing music. It's not easy - at all. I quickly learned a new-found appreciation from Kanker and BluesKeys, among others. Much respect for those guys who have the guts to trust their talent and skills to do this.

http://www.tlhenry.com/photos/richmond/Richmond2%20036e.jpg

But it was that first meet-up in Richmond that flipped the proverbial switch. :idea: BluesKeys and I made the two-hour trip from Raleigh in his Red Miata. (I knew I was going to die on I-95... Prayers were mumbled from the shotgun seat.) :sick: Meeting the guys with whom I've been talking back and forth turned out even better than I had predicted. On the one hand, we had guys there who enjoy playing music as a hobby, or playing part-time on weekends. But we also had pros there, like SK. (What a gentle soul! SK plays from the heart. His musical imagination inspires me - because he retains such a wonderful sense of humor. And if you listen, it's easy to hear it.)

ProfD was there. Here's a man who has paid his musical dues within the context of playing live as well as studio recording. He exudes confidence - yet, he's like a gentle giant. (I can say that because I'm 5'7", and he's well... bigger.) :) But ProfD quickly became a very good friend to me who I would not have had the pleasure of meeting had it not been for this forum.

There are many, many more guys I've met in person after talking with them here. And I've not once been disappointed with their sincerity, intelligence, experience, and professionalism.

I'm sorry the OP had a less-than-perfect experience here. Looking back at his posts, perhaps there was miscommunication on both sides. It's OK. And I think that we all wouldn't have a problem starting fresh.

This is not that other forum. Yet that one does indeed offer a different perspective - and that's good.

However, you guys still laugh at my jokes. :D ...Thanks for that.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

This just in from Harmony Central:

"December 11, 2009

Dear Harmony Central member,

Thank you for your participation in the Harmony Central community. We are writing to inform you of an incident that took place on Tuesday, December 8, 2009, and to suggest some steps you may consider in response.

What Happened.

Someone without authorization temporarily gained access to the Harmony Central site. That person or persons also gained access to our stored member information, which includes e-mail addresses. If you have provided us with other information, like your date of birth, we have also stored that information. Our stored information also includes member passwords, which are protected by multiple levels of encryption.

Our Response.

Our team stopped this intrusion. We are working hard to further improve the security of the Harmony Central site. We regret that this incident has caused the site to go offline temporarily. We also regret any concern that this incident may cause you.

What You Can Do.

As noted above, our stored passwords are protected by multiple levels of encryption. However, out of an abundance of caution, we recommend that you reset your password as soon as Harmony Central is available.

Also, as always, please remain cautious when responding to e-mail communications. Please remember no one from Harmony Central will ever ask you for your password or log-in information. No one from Harmony Central will ask you for a credit card number, or Social Security number, or anything of the sort. If you ever receive any message supposedly from Harmony Central asking for that or any personal information, note the sender, delete the email immediately, restart your computer, and alert us to the situation. Never click on any links or attachments contained in an email of this type.

We appreciate your patience, and expect to have the site back up soon.

Sincerely,

Your Harmony Central Team"

I'm pretty new here...but have gained quite a bit of knowledge in the short time I've been around. If someone thinks this is a "rough" forum, they really need to quit using the Google machine :)
Steinway L, Yamaha Motif XS-8, NE3 73, Casio PX-5S, iPad, EV ZLX 12-P ZZ(x2), bunch of PA stuff.

http://www.tlhenry.com/photos/richmond/Richmond2%20036e.jpg
You nailed it, Tom. In fact, that same guy on the right in your picture flew all the way from Virginia to come to my house to show me how to use features on my Electro 2 that I didn't know existed, and show me setups on the RD-700GX he sold me a year ago that he had created. Where else can you get that kind of service?

Here he is demonstrating the Electro features by playing the hell out of it.

http://blue-funk.com/NonBandPictures/HKCFH/Images/5.jpg

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

]....."features on my Electro 2 that I didn't know existed"..... [/b]

Can you elaborate at all on this, Joe?

I'd be very interested if there are any tips or 'tricks' you could share with us?

Cheers,

John.

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

That's the same DeliriumTremens that got roasted here -deservedly- a few days ago. My answer would be: "If you get a negative response on every forum you visit maybe the problem isn't the forum if the only constant is you."

So, where is this roasting? I'd love to read what was said to him. Or did it get so bad the our illustrious leader banned the guy and removed the thread?

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

]....."features on my Electro 2 that I didn't know existed"..... [/b]

Can you elaborate at all on this, Joe?

I'd be very interested if there are any tips or 'tricks' you could share with us?

Cheers,

John.

From what I understand, he showed Joe how to use the power switch.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

From what I understand, he showed Joe how to use the power switch.
Actually, he started with how to connect it to a system so I could hear it, and plugging it in. *Then* he turned it on. :idea:

jpscoey - One of the things he showed me was being able to have an organ *and* a piano stored in a single preset. This allows you to have two sounds you can switch between quickly in a song by simply hitting the piano/organ Instrument Select switch. This was a feature Nord added in later OS versions, but he didn't know exactly when it showed up.

This came out of a discussion where I asked him about "presets" in the Electro 3, as it doesn't truly have them. He described how he's been able to get six settings stored using this method in part. He has posted this somewhere in this forum so you might be able to search for it.

(My recollection of how this works might be slightly off. He showed it to me, but I haven't had a chance to sit down and play with it myself yet.)

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

And Joe, I don't know if you knew this, but when Eric loaned me that GX to try out, I tweaked the superior piano patch. Unless it was changed later, it's still in there. :)
I knew that. Do you remember where it was or what you called it? Eric's setups were still in there so this tweak might be as well.

Archived