Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Roy Hargrove BB swings!

Morizzle

I just upped a wonderful live concert of Roy Hargrove's Big Band that once aired one french TV, late at night so that no one would watch it.

This video is one of the more traditional pieces of the concert, but man, you gotta love the drummer. And the trombone section feature. And the piano solo. And Roy Hargrove scatting call and response with the band! :thu:

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm8yJQwG0yU

The audio is something like one second out of sync. I have no idea why. Most other videos from the same source are without syncing issues.

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice find! I LOVE the piano player! He sounds like he's internalized a lot of Monk. He even plays flat-fingered like Monk.
Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

Big +1

In that video, I recognize Greg Gisbert and Ambrose Akinmusire in the trumpet section. Great players. I just heard Gisbert 2 weeks ago with Maria Schneider's Jazz Orchestra. Akinmusire won the Thelonius Monk competition a few years ago. He's someone to watch.

Among the trumpet players of his generation, Hargrove is perhaps my favorite. Love his ideas, and that tone kills me! Where he really soars is on flugelhorn, and here's a nice "I Remember Clifford":

[video:youtube]

cool video! definitely noticed the monk-ish piano player. good band overall. gotta keep going back to the gold standard though -- well, gotta give ellington his props but this is my thing right now. a lot of youtube hits too which is good to see!

Really nice section writing! I'm going to have to track down more Roland Hanna. I really enjoyed his playing.

And welcome to the Keyboard Corner, InWalkedBud! You show excellent taste in nickname sources. ;)

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

haha thanks. i noticed the name correspondence as well. monk's on my mind lately (more than usual) because i'm reading the new biography by robin kelley. damn, it is good reading -- like, really, really good.

and yeah, roland hanna kicks some serious ass on this tune. haven't had a chance to track down much of his other playing, i should really get on that. as far as the section writing, YES. pretty famous saxophone soli i believe, and with good reason!

Archived