Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The value of music in pubs

Joe Muscara

This goes along with some of the discussion Dan Duran started a while back about marketing your band. It talks about how pubs with live music make more money (on "wet sales revenue") and are more likely to survive the recession.

The value of music in pubs (pdf)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I couldn't find anything on their website regarding how that information was obtained. Maybe it is available to members. Here are a couple of links to other pages on their website. They may have an agenda or predetermined point of view.

http://www.prsformusic.com/aboutus/pages/default.aspx

http://www.prsformusic.com/users/Pages/default.aspx

Their most recent press release (7/09):

http://www.prsformusic.com/aboutus/press/latestpressreleases/Pages/AbbathemostperformedatKaraoke.aspx

...They may have an agenda or predetermined point of view...

Perhaps the understatement of the day. PRS for Music is a performance rights organization. Or, to quote their website:

"Money is due to PRS for Music for any public performance of music, whether live or recorded, and from radio and television broadcasts and online."

Don't get me wrong, I strongly support performance rights organizations and the royalties they secure for their members. But this "research" strikes me as on par with "health benefits of cigarettes" research paid for by tobacco companies.

Larry.

Oh Pleez....

What are you guys expecting this stuff to be published in a peer review journal??

This isn't science, it's marketing. However, that doesn't make it any less useful.

No I don't. I also didn't expect them to put a footnote at the bottom of the document that said the above is all made up in order to convince pubs to provide live bands or karaoke for which they would buy a license from and pay fees to PRS to use the music.

It may be a valid study and survey but they didn't provide anything to offer proof of that.

I think original composers and artists should be paid for their work. However, it does read (like the other poster said) as something similar to the tobacco companies providing studies showing smoking is good for you.

The research was done by CGA.

According to their website, they are a marketing research firm and do work for UKs pubs and beer/liquor manufacturers.

Everyone has a bias, but it would seem that CGA's bias would not be the same as PRS.

CGA is trying to help it's clients sell more alcohol. Music helps towards that end.

PRS is happy about that.

As musicians who look to be employed by CGA's clients, we should be happy about it too.

Music certainly helps an establishment sell more product. However, the small difference between live music and a DJ is noteworthy.

For the band and DJ both, their value to the bottom line (no pun intended) really comes down to bringing and/or keeping the drinkers in the place.

Of course, PRS is merely interested in the music as it relates to their clients i.e. cover tunes being played by the band and/or records being spun by the DJ. ;):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

The results also indicate an average increase in daily "wet sales" (drink) revenue of £229, but make no accounting for the added cost to the pub owner of the "music event" in question. Assuming economically rational pub owners (I know, don't go there ...), that means that the ones providing "music events" are probably paying less than £200/night on average.

Those arranger keyboards start looking better every day.

Larry.

A few notable things. First, I'd be curious to see how this translates to the US. Even to different geographical areas in the US. It's pretty evident that, for instance the available area for a music event, is much smaller than is typical around these parts. That in and of itself will skew the numbers. I think in a 15,000 square foot facility, you're going to see an enormous difference between their sales with and without music. A corner bar (pub), not so much.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

A few notable things. First, I'd be curious to see how this translates to the US.

Me, too ... who would do such a survey, though?

ASCAP/BMI? Creative Loafing and/or other ad-supported free local culture newspaper? American Federation of Musicians?

I suppose all of them could. I know that entertainment newspapers are always looking for content, so maybe it would be fruitful to contact one of them and pitch it to them. Or better yet (since these papers rarely do anything that can't be written in an afternoon of making phone calls) collect the data yourself, summarize it, and approach the paper about publishing it. Or create a website.

Matter of fact, I think I'll fire off an email to our local papers pitching the idea. Might be of interest both in entertainment and local economy columns.

I think this would be something that the NBRA (National Bar and Restaurant Association) would contract an independant marketing research company to collect. I don't think the information we would have access to would be thorough or scientifically accurate enough to carry much weight. You'd need somebody who is independant and does that sort of thing professionally to survey a very wide range of businesses over a fairly long period of time (at least a year or more). However, I would think that information would be of value to somebody like the NBRA - whether or not they have the budget for something like that is another story.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Archived