Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stage Fright

Gary75

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is his hand condition due to the way he played stacked keyboards, or is it just a generic condition anyone can develop? In these days where one keyboard can cover everything, do you think there is a phase after the standard pianist and before the one board answer where keyboard players had to stack rigs and have very unnatural hand posture? I guess I'm talking the 70's here.

When I saw Emerson at NAMM maybe 10 years ago, with a pickup band in a ballroom for an Apple music event, he was really pounding the keys, lifting his hands very high, holding his wrists rigid - my classical pianist friend said "no wonder he developed problems..."

When I saw Emerson at NAMM maybe 10 years ago, with a pickup band in a ballroom for an Apple music event, he was really pounding the keys, lifting his hands very high, holding his wrists rigid - my classical pianist friend said "no wonder he developed problems..."
Huh. Here I thought he developed the problem because he kept stabbing things with knives. ;):D

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Is his hand condition due to the way he played stacked keyboards, or is it just a generic condition anyone can develop? In these days where one keyboard can cover everything, do you think there is a phase after the standard pianist and before the one board answer where keyboard players had to stack rigs and have very unnatural hand posture? I guess I'm talking the 70's here.

I had a talk after our gig Thurday night, with Keith and it's arthritis (old age creeping in).

Keith sat in with us on a song with Mystic Bowie, who I was on tour with, and again did some Prog Rock over a reggie groove and was way cool.

We did Lucky Man with John Lee Sanders on piano and John also sang it, with me on Hammond and Keith playing a Moog Patch ... and the crowd went nuts. We then did Fan Fare to the Comman Man.

Keith's hand problems didn't seem to slow him down at all and told me later that he had a great time ... playing with 3 keyboard players and the other monster players that I had helped recruit for the show ... we did have some great talent there.

The next day you could see Keith's hands were suffuring from the night before ... a bit of pleasure and a bit of pain.

Something he said to me was "My next show is with Foreigner ... they all play guitars" ... he said it in a way that sounded like it would be a let down after having 3 keyboard players ... guitar wack fest :freak:

SK2 /w Mini Vent / XK3 Pro System /w 142 Leslie, Roland D70, Korg SP250 B3 1959 (retired) , Porta B (retired), XB2 (retired)

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I'd update my situation seeing as another thread has appeared on the same topic.

I had my cataract removed and a lens implant on my left eye two days before Xmas, it's wonderful. I'm having the same done to my right eye in a few weeks. I no longer need glasses except for reading, and it's just fantastic to see the world as vivid as I once did, even through one eye at the moment. They'll never be 100% as I have retinal damage, but it's looking promising to drive again providing I can pass the medical.

Unfortunately the last few weeks my tendon problems in my left hand has worsened, possibly because of the cold temperatures, so much so i can no longer close my hand. Thankfully there is just enough movement to travel the key depth of a piano.

I'm treating myself like a vintage car, loved, but needing maintenence on occasion!

Anyway, the whole eye thing has cheered me up immensely, it's so nice to look at women without having to squint and being very blatant about it! Still, it works for Hugh Hefner.

"The next day you could see Keith's hands were suffuring from the night before ... a bit of pleasure and a bit of pain. "

I worked with Humble Pie's drummer many years ago, and he had a combo of that plus the cracked bones and damaged nerves that many drummers who play very very hard seem to get... the same thing that forced Max Weinberg to re-learn how to play drums in a more classic manner than the 'try to sink these things into the stage' method he had used previously. I'm fighting several injuries myself related to arthritis and nerve damage. I hope younger players will take note and try to pursue proper technique... but I doubt it. Drummers in particular seem to be particularly stupid about these issues.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Archived