Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help me decide between Virus Snow vs Waldorf Blofeld

zahush76

As i've mentioned on a previous thread, i'm getting the new PEK PE.

I'm looking for a desktop synth to compliment it. The PEK will be my "analog" synth (the "" is because it's much more than that), and i want something that can give me the digital side, arp's, polyphony, wavetables, effects, multimode filters etc.

It has come down to the Virus Snow or the Waldorf Blofeld. They both fit this category very well, but different from each other. I like how both of them sound.

One of the usuall "cons" of the Virus Snow is its price tag, compared to the Blofeld. But i can get an "open box" Virus Snow that will cost me almost like a new Blofeld. So price is not an issue.

What are your opinions about their difference in sound, functions, specs etc? And which of the two will be a better companion to the PEK?

Vermona Perfourmer mkii, Nord Stage 3 76

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've toyed with both and hands down, the Virus spanks the Waldorf in terms of quality, functionality and even quality. Access has done incredible things with the OS and the computer integration of the entire Virus line as well, something Waldorf hasn't done.

Take a read thru of reviews for both at Musicradar.com. It's the on-line content sight for Future Music, a UK publication, but gives much more in-depth reviews of the underlying technology and usefulness than most US counterparts (present company included, sadly).

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

This is quite remarkable in that I have been researching and gassing over each of these units for a while now.

I have decided on the Snow because of the expanded capabilities of it. The site support and the available TI product line sounds are impressive. The Virus has the sub-oscillator as well as the hypersaw waves, graintable oscillators, formant-based oscillators, as well as the modulation matrices, analog inputs, the list seems to go on. After you scratch the surface the price of the Snow is really not that bad at all.

If you can get it for the price of a new Blofeld.....do it and don't look back!

I'm going to.....well as soon as I can convince the wifey of the importance of such a thing, and it is Christmas afterall.....GAS.....Big Time!

You can go to the site and view the editing software demos to get an idea of the depth of the Snow. I would link it but you must create an account to view these areas....go ahead and do it....its very worthwhile!

Here's the main site link: Access Virus

I got a Ti Polar recently, and I'm very happy with it. Beautiful digital synthesis sounds en masse and good analog emulation. The integration part is very nice, as is the possibility to unplug it and take it to a gig. They are a bit on the heavy side for gigging, though... I have a Microwave, and it gives me all the Waldorf I need - for now. :)

Just an additional thought,

If I were to take issue with the Snow, it might be the 4 part multi limitation. Others might complain about the menu stucture rather than control panel knobs, but the software way compensates for that.

You can go to the site and view the editing software demos to get an idea of the depth of the Snow. I would link it but you must create an account to view these areas....go ahead and do it....its very worthwhile!

I had the Virus TI Desktop until recently, so i know what it's capable of. The only reason i sold it in the first place was in order to get the extra cash for buying the PEK.

I sold it for more than i thought i would, and with the extra cash (plus a little on the side) i can get the extra synth.

But a minute before i went on and pulled the trigger on this deal - i got to read a lot of good things on the Blofeld.

There are functions that are exclusive for the Blofeld like its comb filter, ppg lpf, 4 envelopes (and with interesting shapes), a more complex modulation matrix etc.

But i tend to agree that the Virus Snow seems more solid to me. As a person who plays live (and not recording with daw at all), another factor is the matrix for selecting presets quickly - as opposed to locating them with a single knob.

Btw, same goes for the numeric pad on the PEK vs the knob for selecting presets on the MEK, thank goodness...

No doubt...the Waldorf is big bang for the buck and really sounds good.

I have concerns over the long run with its lack of connectivity. No midi out/thru, no analog in....as basic add-on it would be great, but to integrate into the overall system, whether live rig, or studio, it seems a little bit limited.

I am looking for a unit that will sit on the left side of my Motif ES7 in a simple dual keyboard rig. I will likely control it with the NL2X, and even run 1 part of the Nord through the inputs to take advantage of the atomizer....What do you think?

I am looking for a unit that will sit on the left side of my Motif ES7 in a simple dual keyboard rig. I will likely control it with the NL2X, and even run 1 part of the Nord through the inputs to take advantage of the atomizer....What do you think?

Nl2x and Virus TI are both fine sounding synths. Completely different sonically, though.

Both are VA. Wouldn't you rather have an analog synth? Something like the Tetr4, or P08 rack?

Yeah....I have always considered the Voyager to be the analog to own, but I cannot afford it. Perhaps I should consider the Tetr4 as a viable analog alternative. As you point out, the Nord is a VA.....Thanks.

the Virus spanks the Waldorf in terms of quality, functionality and even quality

That's double marks for quality!! ;)

You got me Z! I meant programmability :thu:

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

Don't forget the John Bowen Solaris! This could be the ultimate in future-proofed synths, and provide a long-time complement to PEK.

I have no interest in one myself, as I am all ITB for digital stuff these days and only interested in analog hardware, but Bowen has done great stuff before, in VA land and in new synth land.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Don't forget the John Bowen Solaris! This could be the ultimate in future-proofed synths, and provide a long-time complement to PEK.

I have no interest in one myself, as I am all ITB for digital stuff these days and only interested in analog hardware, but Bowen has done great stuff before, in VA land and in new synth land.

While the Solaris might be an interesting synth - it's to expensive for me right now, and probably always will be.

Remember that there are many interesting synths out there, but my budget is limited for buying the PEK and another compact VA desktop module. So a full blown synth (or should i say - a full Bowen synth...) that costs 3899$ is very much out of the question.

OK. The other synths being discussed here are not cheap, so I thought we were beyond the cheap-synth discussion. :-)

Just remember then, that NAMM is just a few weeks away, if you're not in a rush and can wait for MAR/APR shipping dates of some products that get announced then (other stuff gets announced prematurely, of course).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

OK. The other synths being discussed here are not cheap, so I thought we were beyond the cheap-synth discussion. :-)

The two synths discussed were the Waldorf Blofeld and the Virus Snow. The Blofeld is about 500$ thses days, and i can get the Snow for about 600$, used.

Anyway, about the Solaris - while it looks intersting, i heard the demos and was not very much impressed. It seems like it is exactly what he's saying it is: a version of his soft synths in a hardware synth that has all the controls. And for that, 3899$ is way too much, imho.

Just remember then, that NAMM is just a few weeks away, if you're not in a rush and can wait for MAR/APR shipping dates of some products that get announced then (other stuff gets announced prematurely, of course).

Unfortunately, i can't wait for namm. I'm from Israel, so i'm buying the synths and have them sent to my sister in New York, which is coming over here on February (this, of course, saves me lots of money on the shipping and taxes). If i'll miss this oppurtunity than it'll be another year of waiting...

Archived