Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Questions and more questions

johngoldsby

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I FIRST HEARD MARK EGAN IN THE late 70s, in a college beer hall called the Red Barn in Louisville, Kentucky. He was playing with Pat Methenylong before the guitarist became the Pat Metheny. Even then, Egan had a unique style on the electric bass, a truly original voice unlike anyone I had heard before. Egan went on to team up with drummer Danny Gottlieb, a fellow Metheny sideman, to form the fusion band Elements, which has recorded eight albums. Egan also spent over a decade with the legendary Gil Evans Orchestra, and has played for everyone from Michael Franks to Marianne Faithful and Sting. He has released several highly acclaimed solo projects, including Mosaic [Windham Hill], Touch of Light [GRP], and Beyond Words [bluemoon].

Truth Be Told, Marks upcoming quartet recording, will be released in March 2010, and features Bill Evans, Vinnie Colaiuta, and Mitch Forman.

Here's what I asked Mark:

BP: What is your idea of a perfect gig?

ME: A perfect gig would be two-thirds through a tour with a great band, decent sleep, and a great-sounding, sold-out venue of people who came to listen. After the show wed have a great Italian meal and a short drive to the next show.

BP: Which of your instruments would you refuse to sell, and why?

ME: I wouldnt sell any of my instrumentsbut especially not my fretless Pedulla MVP 5- and 8-string basses. They are very special to me.

BP: If you could transform yourself into any other musician for a day, who would it be?

ME: Among living musicians it would be John McLaughlin, and of past musicians it would be John Coltrane.

BP: What is your third all-time favorite record, and why?

ME: My third-favorite would be Jimi Hendrixs Electric Ladyland. Im a huge fan of Hendrix, and these recordings changed my perception of instrumental improvisation before I became aware of the jazz improvisation movement.

BP: If you had never picked up a bass in your life, what would your day job be?

ME: Oceanography. When I first applied to the U. of Miami it was in the school of Marine Biology.

BP: When was the music business nasty to you?

ME: When a record company didnt pay mechanical royalties that were due. Then it filed for chapter 11.

BP: Who are your heroes?

ME: James Jamerson, Miles Davis, James Brown, Paul Chambers, Elvin Jones, Scott Lafaro, Jaco, Dave Holland, to mention only a few.

BP: What was your most recent big mistake?

ME: Playing with a big band and not having my eight-page chart opened up correctly. I was so lost, but I eventually figured out what had happened and got back on track.

BP: What is your goal for the coming year?

ME: Keep a steady flow of practicing, composing, exercising, reading, and experiencing nature. Plus, Id like to record another solo CD and keep that outlet flowing.

www.goldsby.de

• 1 month later...

John, here are some question ideas:

What do you want to say to your audience with your music?

What have you been exploring lately musically?

What part of being a working musician did you learn the hard way?

What record are you most embarrassed to like?

Electric and Upright Bass

Performance and Instruction

http://joshfossgreen.com

• 3 weeks later...

I FIRST MET TOM KENNEDY WHEN WE were put together in a bass quartet for a week-long gig at a now-defunct jazz club in St. Louis. Four bass players and a piano playerno drums. The double bassists John Clayton, Todd Coolman, Tom, and myselfentertained the slightly confused, slightly amused, and deeply moved patrons with bass solos, duets, quartets, and quintets (with the warm support of Bill Mays, a very creative and bass-friendly pianist).

Tom has gone on to accomplish great things in the music world, and has become known as one of the few virtuoso bassists equally comfortable on electric and acoustic. His first big breakthrough gig was playing with Steps Ahead in the mid 80s. Since then, he has worked with Al DiMeola, Lee Ritenour, Dave Grusin, Mike Stern, and many other big names in jazz and fusion.

In 1997 Tom released his first solo CD, Basses Loaded, followed by 2002s Bassics [both on TKM]. For the past several years Tom has been a key member of the Dave Weckl band, appearing on the master drummers albums Rhythm of the Soul, Synergy, Transition, Perpetual Motion, Live (and Very Plugged In), and Multiplicity [all on Stretch]. He currently plays with Mike Stern, the Birdland Big Band, and the Tom Kennedy Quartet (when the opportunity arises). I talked with Tom on his off-night during a recent tour with Stern. You can catch up with him on his website, or on MySpace.

TK: Well, playing a gig with Wynton Kelly and Jimmy Cobb back in the mid 60s would come close. Its just gotta swing hard!

TK: My first double bass, which my parents got for me when I was nine years old; its the one I still use for most of my acoustic gigs. Ive owned better-quality vintage instruments over the years, but I always find myself gravitating back to my first. I just know that bass!

BP: If you could transform yourself into any other musician for just a day, who would it be?

TK: I have always imagined playing at the Vanguard with Bill Evans and Paul Motion in 60 or 61, because Scott LaFaro has always amazed me with his endless creativeness and maturity.

TK: Funny you should ask, because I have three all-time favorite recordings: Chick Coreas Light as a Feather, Keith Jarretts My Song, and Bill Evanss Explorations. These recordings always rank first, second, and third as my all-time favorites for inspiration. Take your pick.

BP: If you never had picked up a bass in your life, what would your day job be?

TK: A carpenter or luthier.

TK: There was a short time when I was only playing weekend warrior gigs, and there were no good musical opportunities in sight. I actually came very close to quitting the business, but things magically opened up at just the last minute.

TK: My parents and siblings. I am blessed with an amazing family.

TK: Being in too much of a hurry on the way to a gig with my vintage Bohemian double bass. Crunch!

TK: Releasing my third solo CD, and finding the time to present the Tom Kennedy Quartet on a more consistent basis.

www.goldsby.de

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was greatly impressed when I heard Linda Oh's 2009 debut album, Entry. If you like modern, open jazz, I suggest you check her out -- she's going to be making a lot of waves in the next few years. www.lindaohmusic.com

Linda answered the 9 Questions for Bass Player Magazine recently. Let me know what you think . . . you can chime in with your take on Oh's answers, or just give us your own answers to the 9 Questions.

LO: A gig where everyone is happymusicians, audience, club owners, the sound is great, and the audience is having fun or being moved in some way.

LO: My Pfretzschner upright bassit's the perfect fit for me.

BP: If you could transform yourself into any other musician for just

a day, who would it be?

LO: Probably Donny Hathaway because to be the musician he was you'd have to feel some deep emotions. Runners up would be Hermeto Pascoal, Björk, The Shaggs, Pino Palladino, or Squarepusher.

LO: I dont think I have an all-time favorite record, so essentially I

think I have a bunch of third favorite recordsstuff that I always go back

to like Blood Sugar Sex Magik (Red Hot Chili Peppers), Rosa (Rosa Passos), Plantation Lullabies (Meshell Ndegeocello), The Soothsayer (Wayne Shorter), plus the string quartets from Ravel and Debussy.

BP: If you had never picked up a bass in your life, what would your

day job be?

LO: A doctor, or a linguist. I always joke about being a sherpa, but you know, I saw a documentary about female sherpasincredible.

LO: I set up a trio tour in Australia and the night before one of the gigs, I found out that the promoter had mixed up the dates and had double booked several rock bands. I never heard from that guy again, and never got reimbursed, but the wonderful people at the Australian National University set up an impromptu concert that was actually one of the best gigs we played. The music business is tough and I feel like Im always learning more about issues like illegal downloading, the power of jazz journalists, and of people within the business who we give CDs tosome journalists, venue ownerswho then sell our promo CDs on Amazon as "used.

LO: Everyone from the Dalai Lama, Wes Anderson (the filmmaker), and Tina Fey, to Uri Caine, Ray Brown and my two older sisters. So many of my peers are my heroes for being just amazing people: my mentor in life Greg Cohen, my teachers John Riley and Paul Pooley, the musicians from Perth, and everyone I've ever met who has inspired me to work hard, be a better person and who strives to change things for the better.

LO: Being too hard on myself for making a mistake.

LO: To stay zen throughout the manic life of a musiciana life long goaland to be able to speak fluent Mandarin! I want to get my next project recorded and performeda string quartet with jazz quartet designed for the audience to hear the sound from all angles through the use of 5.1 surround mixing.

www.goldsby.de

• 1 month later...
I like you to ask the questions to "Ready" Freddie Washington.

One day he and I were on the same local scene and it seems like the next day he was one of the top players at Motown.

He's a great player, but how did that happen?

Word. Maybe it's the nickname :/

John - great job, as always.

Archived