Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Questions and more questions

johngoldsby

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the current issue of Bass Player, I had the chance to pose nine questions to Benny Rietveld.

Feel free to comment on Benny answers, pose some questions of your own, or take a shot at answering the 9 Questions yourself.

Bassist extraordinaire, film music composer, and star sideman Benny Rietveld has played with an amazing array of top acts, from Shiela E to John Lee Hooker, Miles Davis to Carlos Santana. In between traveling the world and laying down a foundation for the stars, Benny finds time to host his New York Band, gig and record solo projects.

Benny has one foot in the film and production business since writing the score for the 1997 film, Brooklyn Rules. He is currently pushing to complete a full 1080 HD concert and instructional film.

9 Questions with Benny Rietveld

JG * What is your idea of a perfect gig?

BR: One where I'm present and living in every note as it goes by. And a free bottle of Grey Goose is also good.

JG * Which of your instruments would you refuse to sell, and why?

BR: Probably my Tune Bass Maniac Deluxe. It's the one that I always played with Miles Davis and also recorded "Smooth" with.

JG * If you could transform yourself into any other musician for just a day, who would it be?

BR: Herbie Hancock.

JG * What is your third all-time favorite record, and why?

BR: It's almost impossible to name a first, so a third could be practically anything.

JG * If you had never picked up a bass in your life, what would your day job be?

BR: Writer on The Simpsons

JG * When was the music business nasty to you?

BR: It was never nasty, I just didn't know any better and made poor and uninformed decisions.

JG * Who are your heroes?

BR: The people who continually support music, film and the arts.

JG * What was your most recent big mistake?

BR: Normally I would say that there are no mistakes, but dating on the rebound would be close.

JG * What is your goal for the coming year?

BR: To write and/or direct a film.

You can also find Benny here:

Twitter: bennyrietveld

Facebook: bennyrietveld

www.goldsby.de

I saw Benny on tour with Santana last year. He was not someone I had heard of before, but seeing him on stage with guys whose A-list status I am aware of (Dennis Chambers, Chester Thompson) certainly got me wanting to find out more about him. Thanks for this.
- Matt W.

• 2 weeks later...
I merged all of the previous "Questions" columns from Bass Player Magazine into one thread. Here you can find posts from Reggie Washington, Skeet Curtis, Rufus Reid, Oneida James, Benny Reitveld, and many others. Up next: the legendary Jack Bruce.
www.goldsby.de

Im not in awe of many bass players. Ive heard lots of great bassists, and even more not-so-great ones. Bass players are just peoplelike me. And you. But when I received a pleasant response from Jack Bruce saying he would like to answer some questions for Bass Player, I had a feeling of wonder that I hadnt experienced since 1968, when I was wearing out Disraeli Gears trying to pick out the bass line to Sunshine of Your Love. I still marvel at this legend in the bass worlda free spirit who continues to explore and create magnificent music.

In the four decades since Bruce wrote Sunshine of Your Love, he has been a key figure in a myriad of projects with jazz and rock players like Tony Williams, John McLaughlin, Leslie West, Robin Trower, Kip Hanrahan, and Vernon Reid. When Bruce turned 65 in 2008, two boxed-CD sets were released to commemorate his lifes work: Spirit [3-CDs of his work from the 70s, BBC], and Can You Follow [6-CDs of material from 63-03, Esoteric]. During his recent tour of Scotland, he was presented with an Honorary Doctorate of Letters from Glasgow Caledonian University. Composing Himself: Jack Bruce, The Authorised Biography [Jawbone Press] by Harry Shapiro is scheduled for publication in 2010. You can follow his current projects at www.jackbruce.com.

BP * What is your idea of a perfect gig?

JB: The Cuicoland Express Bernie Worrell on Hammond, Vernon Reid Guitar, Milton Cardona and Richie Flores percussion, El Negro Horacio Hernandez and Robbie Ameen drums, me, plus a few tasty guests at a sold out Garden, and the Dom Perignon never runs out.

BP * Which of your instruments would you refuse to sell, and why?

JB: I dont think Ive ever sold an instrument though Ive given a few away, but if anything happened to my old Warwick fretless thumb bass, I might give up playing bass guitar for good, because she is irreplaceableand I love her.

BP * If you could transform yourself into any other musician for just a day, who would it be?

JB: Lang Lang, the concert pianist, because Id love to experience what its like to have ten fingers on each hand.

BP * What is your third all-time favorite record, and why?

JB: Smokestack Lightning sung by Howlin Wolf.

BP * If you had never picked up a bass in your life, what would your day job be?

JB: A dead guy.

BP * When was the music business nasty to you?

JB: Quite a few times. For example; once many years ago, when my manager stole my childrens birthrightyou wanna watch that oneand another time when I played some tracks with a full orchestra to an A&R man who spoke on the phone the whole time and then asked me if I had recorded it at home!

BP * Who are your heroes?

JB: My parents, my wife Margrit, my children and Charles Mingus.

BP * What was your most recent big mistake?

JB: To start writing a symphony.

BP * What is your goal for the coming year?

JB: To keep walking about a bit and finish that symphony.

www.goldsby.de

BP * Which of your instruments would you refuse to sell, and why?

JB: I dont think Ive ever sold an instrument though Ive given a few away, but if anything happened to my old Warwick fretless thumb bass, I might give up playing bass guitar for good, because she is irreplaceableand I love her.

Interesting. I saw one of his Warwick fretless thumb basses at the Boston Hard Rock Cafe. I guess the irreplaceable one came after that one. :)

He's talking about the "old" Warwick thumb bass :)

To me, it's not so much about a particular instrument. I've had some nice ones, and I have some nice ones . . . but they are all basically just hunks of wood and metal.

I still think about your American Standard, Davio . . .

www.goldsby.de

Jack Bruce - I don't have words for how he has influenced my playing. Most nights I fall short, but some nights... I still fall short, just not as short as the others :D And why try to sound like that guy from the "Grateful Dead" or "Phish" when I can close my eyes and channel my inner Jack Bruce.

If this doesn't get a response from the forum members, this place is dead to me.

I'll go with Jack Bruce over Phish or the Dead. Their bassists are virtuosic talents, but I prefer songs, not rambling jams. besides, Bruce has a much better singing voice as well.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

• 2 weeks later...
I still think about your American Standard, Davio . . .

If you saw it you'd never get it out of your head. It was "customized" many decades ago and it's quite a looker and player.

I'm going to have to listen to more Cream stuff. I've heard a number of their songs but I've never really gotten into the meat of it.

Davio, start with Disraeli Gears. It was the best album they did, or at least the most focused. Wheels of Fire seems kinda all over the road, but has it's interesting bits. The live albums were all thrown kinda together to fill out Cream's recording contract after they couldn't stand the sight of each other anymore, but also have some interesting bits here and there; I'm So Glad is the best of a mixed lot to me. There are other things people like out of the live stuff, but I get a little bored with the longer jams, myself.

Cream made their contribution to the music world, and I think it's a valid one. They sure hit me hard enough.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

In the January issue of BP, I got to speak with Chris Chaney. I didn't know his playing until recently, yet somehow I can relate to his answers pretty well (except for the extreme skiing thing). Here's what I wrote and how he answered the 9 Questions:

Chris Chaney is one of the cool onesa first-call session bassist, a veteran of legendary bands like Janes Addiction, Alanis Morissette and The Panic Channelplus hes a darn good golfer. He spent his youth in the foothills of L.A., went to Berklee College of Music in Boston, and then made a name for himself in the early 90s in L.A. playing jazz at The Baked Potato and R&B in the house band at Dragonfly.

In the mid-90s, Chris catapulted his career into the big leagues, playing with Alanis Morissette, and then following Flea and Eric Avery in Janes Addiction. Hes worked with the whos-who of modern rock and pop, doing session with Carly Simon, Tommy Lee, Slash, James Hart, Sara Bareilles, Celine Dion, and countless other stars. Chris just finished his second CD with Taylor Hawkins & The Coattail Riders.

JG * What is your idea of a perfect gig?

CC: Ten minutes from my house.

CC: My 58 P-Bass! Why would anyone sell a 58 P-bass and mess with perfection?

JG * If you could transform yourself into any other musician for just a day, who would it be?

CC: Stevie Wonderin my opinion he is unparalleled. He is the complete package.

JG * What is your third all-time favorite record, and why?

CC: This question is impossible to answer, but if I have toHeavy Weather by Weather Report. Jaco transcended bass!

JG * If you had never picked up a bass in your life, what would your day job be?

CC: Doing extreme skiing, or big wave tow-in surfing!

CC: The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson. I couldn't put it more eloquently.

CC: My wife and two kids start this list, followed by Laird Hamilton, Tiger Woods, Jerry Rice, Bill Walsh, Phil Jackson, and Ed Viesturs.

CC: Building the 3803 piece Star Wars edition Lego "Death Star" for my son and kinking my neck and injuring my arm. I'm still tweaked two weeks later!!!

JG * What is your goal for the coming year?

CC: To break into the 80's on the golf course.

www.goldsby.de

By the way, folks: Give me some new questions that I can ask your fellow bass players in the monthly Questions column in BP. There have to be a couple of burning questions out there that I should be asking these famous guys & girls, right? ;-)
www.goldsby.de

CC: The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson. I couldn't put it more eloquently.

CC: My wife and two kids start this list, followed by Laird Hamilton, Tiger Woods, Jerry Rice, Bill Walsh, Phil Jackson, and Ed Viesturs.

There's a joke in there somewhere... Sorry, couldn't be helped. ;)

How about favorite pre and/or post gig food? Mine would be the ultimate nachos at one of my favorite local venues and an ice cold chocolate milk for the ride home.

Sure, Nick, If I can track them down . . . then I can give it a shot. Who'd you have in mind?

Nachos and chocolate milk, Davio? Er, mmm . . .

Off the top of my head...

Alain Caron

Tal Wilkenfeld

John Paul Jones

Chuck Rainey

Bob Glaub

Oteil Burbridge

Willie Weeks

Roscoe Beck

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

BP* What is your idea of a perfect gig?

SM: Playing for people I trust will listen for enjoyment and dont have a pretentious attitudes.

BP* What is your most treasured possession?

SM: I dont own my family or my gf, so Im gonna go with my version of Cubase 5.

BP* If you were to die and come back as any musician, who would it be?

SM: Dan Auerbach. Dudes got soul.

BP* What is your third all-time favorite record and why?

SM: This is a really tough question for me. Ive been working so much on my own music and producing my friends that I havent had time to listen enough recently. I would have to say Amnesiac by Radiohead. I dont relate to it enough to call it my first or second all-time favorite, but its a solid record with plenty of good songwriting and creative tones.

BP* What is your dream scenario?

SM: Having the funds to create my ideal studio and the time and health to allow myself to play my instruments well.

BP* What annoys you about the music business?

SM: Musicians that suck making all the money.

BP* Who are your musical heroes?

SM: This list is too long.

BP* What was your most recent big mistake?

SM: Trying so hard to make two years of progress in one. I injured my hand. Things happen faster if you dont force them. You cant muscle your way into playing better.

BP* What are your goals for the coming year?

SM: To get my hand healthy again and finish writing, recording, and producing the albums that Im working on.

We cannot accelerate the growth of a tree by pulling on its branches. - Ricardo Iznaola

SM: My Warmoth

SM: Jimmy Page. It'd be interesting to be that famous, but I'd only want to experience it for a day.

SM: Park Ranger

SM: When has it been good might be a more challenging and interesting question.

SM: Choosing to pursue a career in music. It was also my best decision ever.

We cannot accelerate the growth of a tree by pulling on its branches. - Ricardo Iznaola

Archived