Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

replacing speakers question

scarredbass

I am replacing some abused speakers and was hoping someone more knowledgable or experienced could help. I am looking at getting Carvin's 10" 300 watt neodymium drivers and was wondering how they sound and respond with a 5 string bass. Obviously the enclosure will affect any speaker and with that in mind is Carvin a good choice or are there other suggestion. thanks

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By "abused" do you mean they don't work? Or are you hoping that new drivers will sound better than what you have now?

Are you prepared to change the port(s) of your existing cab to match whatever drivers you buy? Does carvin still give the T/S specs for their speakers? Sometimes it's hard to get the specs from a company that has their drivers custom built, making it impossible to tune the cab.

I put a Carvin 15 in an old CBS rea Fender cab. It does OK, as long as I stay above D on the B string. Probably more of a cab design problem than the speaker.

Fingertalkin..thanks for the site.

WCriley... by abused I mean they work don't seem to handle the new amp and preamp I am using even though the amp is 460 watts @ 4 ohms and I am using a 300 watt 4x10 and 300 watt 1x15 both 8 ohm but ran parallel (4 ohm). I tried running them separate also with the same results. I thought about porting and tuning the cab but was hoping a speaker swap would do the trick. My cab is a Hartke transporter rated from 40 hz - 3 khz I was just hoping new speakers would get me closer to 30hz without spending $550 or more on a well tuned and ported cab. Carvin's neodymium 10s are rated for 50-6khz outside of a cab but the 410 cab carvin sells is rated from 26 hz - 22 khz. Any advice will be well recieved.

Most ratings are BS. I have a SWR Workingman's 2x10....that thing is terrible for the sound I want. I wish I had never sold my GK 410 SBX.

I was thinking about swapping out the 10's in the SWR for some of those NEO's on the website.

Back in my car stereo days, the box was more important than the speaker. In saying that, the box had to be built to the speakers specs or it wouldn't be right. I meant that I could get a Jensen sub to pound and win contests against some of the "professional" grade speakers.

I don't think that a speaker change will do what you want. Might change the tone....that is all I am hoping for when or if I swap mine out.

How do you sign a computer screen?

Most ratings are BS.

Amen, brother! This is true of most cab ratings. I trust driver ratings, though. At least driver ratings are based on standardized tests.

I have a Hartke 410TP. It's weak in the low end, strong in the upper mid range to my ear.

I don't think Hartke publishes the T/S specs for their drivers, so it would be nearly impossible to change the tuning of the cab except by trial and error.

I seem to remember that the specs for the Carvin drivers were buried pretty deep in the website. If you have the specs and some software like WinISD, you might be able to improve the sound of the cab by changing the drivers and the port length. The main limiting factor is the small size of the Transporter box.

My advice is to take the money you plan to spend on new drivers, put it aside, and save up for a new cab.

I don't think that matching cabs and speakers is as simple as replacing the drivers. Even a different set of Hartke speakers may not give you what you want. I would prefer to buy the whole unit rather than replace the speakers only.

It still comes down to the most popular bit of advise on this forum. Play and listen.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

Thanks everyone for the advice. It came down to what I figured and feared...a new cab is the only way to get the results I need. Any suggestions for a cab that can go from death metal bass growl to a nice pop and slap funk sound? (yes I am weird and play that varied of styles lol)

You could spend several hundred dollars and end up with a cabinet that sounds worse that it does now. I would find a good used cabinet that I liked and sell the old one. That way you know what you are getting for your money.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Archived