Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

No Nord at GC?

burningbusch

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a buddy who manages the keyboard department at my local GC and his chief complaint is that only the regional "flagship" GC stores get the really cool gear and the others simply have to special order.

With respects to Nord, he told me that they are awaiting an Electro 3 for their floor display, but it simply hasn't happened yet. He indicated that they would be starting to stock some more Nord, as demand in the store has been pretty high, and special orders have supported that. I've not seen any Nord products there since I bought my NE2-61 and that was quite a while ago.

Their inventory of Moog has gone down to a Little Phatty.

Roland is very well represented, as is Korg (but no SV1), and Yamaha (but no S90XS yet).

Frankly, I've never been a big fan of any big box retailer and Guitar Center is no exception. However, with the absence of any independent music stores in my area that stock keyboards, it makes shopping anywhere else (except online) impossible. I will say that what can make the difference at a GC can be good people. I'm pretty lucky to have a couple of really knowledgeable salesguys at my disposal AND the GM is a good dude to boot.

On the other hand, I've been to a different GC where the keyboard monkey tried to tell me that MIDI carried audio.

YMMV

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

On the other hand, I've been to a different GC where the keyboard monkey tried to tell me that MIDI carried audio.

Did you bitch slap him? You should ask your buddy what qualifications, if any, are required to get hired as a salesman at GC. I would be interested to here his response.

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

Did you bitch slap him? You should ask your buddy what qualifications, if any, are required to get hired as a salesman at GC. I would be interested to here his response.

I didn't bitch slap the poor bastard, but did tell him he had NO idea what he was talking about and asked if he was "on loan" from the drum room. I then asked someone else to help me and stopped and saw the manager on my way out and asked how he could have a keyboard salesman that thought that MIDI carried audio. I didn't tell him WHO it was, but suggested they work on their base skills a little.

I did tell my GC friend about the experience and he rolled his eyes and responded "a pulse is sometimes the only requirement for a job here". I'll say, he at least runs a pretty good ship, as his crew of guys get with the new gear pretty quickly and at least have a clue. If they don't, they'll get answers within a few hours.

My experience with other locations has been wildly different.

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

I didn't bitch slap the poor bastard, but did tell him he had NO idea what he was talking about and asked if he was "on loan" from the drum room.
:laugh: That's awesome!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Dave, I went to the SJ Gc today - no Nords. Although, they did have a Korg SV-1. I liked it!

That's a shame about the Nords. I never made it over there this weekend. I'm feeling a bit under the weather, so I went to my gig and back home. Haven't even walked out my front door today! :D

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Their inventory of Moog has gone down to a Little Phatty.

Roland is very well represented, as is Korg (but no SV1), and Yamaha (but no S90XS yet).

No Moogs at our GC and they dropped the Fantom G last month.

I'm not expecting to see the SV1... maybe the S90XS, but that's wishful thinking.

:rolleyes:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Archived