Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Defend the Existence of: Dream Theater

The Bear Jew

Last nite I saw again a Bongo. A Blue one. The store was closed so I had no chance to get closer, or (May the Gods forgive me) play it. I still dislike it with passion. I guess that is what it is expected to provoke.

I understand what you mean, but just play it man, it has Tone with a capital T. You may not buy it, or even like the look of it for that matter, but set it flat and enjoy :)

Mmmm I won't promise you anything, but I'll try. :) However, please have in mind I already took the pill that came with my Epic 5, and it seems I will (at least for some time) only have eyes for beautiful wooden chunks bearing the Alembic logo (And no, you won't get me with that cardboard box bass as it was done before with the traditional yearly Sadowsky petition.. :P )

Brought to you by Juancarlin.

www.juancarlinmusic.com

http://www.youtube.com/JuanCarlinMusic

www.facebook.com/JuanCarlinMusic

Instagram: @JuanCarlinMusic

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's what Styx would've sounded like if Dennis DeYoung was a bit more butch.

Hmmmm....

There's a piece of insight for you. I actually like the mid 70's Styx stuff (Pieces of Eight, The Grand Illusion, etc) - a bit too poppy to take in heavy doses, but...

I actually heard Shaw/Blades on the radio not long ago, and I must admit I thought they sounded pretty great playing other people's songs and singing in harmony.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

There's basically no good excuse for Damn Yankees.

Ted could have gotten a job at KFC if he needed money in 1989.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

The Nuge has to pay his bills just like everyone else, but come on... Can you take me higher?

\m/

Erik

--Sun Tzu

The Nuge has to pay his bills just like everyone else, but come on... Can you take me higher?

Actually it was "High Enough" - which probably speaks to why Ted was hurting for money. ;)

Ted doesn't do any drugs, never has. He loves the ladies, though, and may have spent a lot of money in that direction...

Actually it was "High Enough" - which probably speaks to why Ted was hurting for money. ;)

Ted doesn't do any drugs, never has. He loves the ladies, though, and may have spent a lot of money in that direction...

Thanks for ruining my joke. :P

Yes, Davo, you're a bad person. Just like me.

You may now stand in the corner and weep.

\m/

Erik

--Sun Tzu

Better the Amboy Dukes than DT.

Dream Theater may have talent, but their songs have no soul.

Push the button.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Now, now, I think this forum's big enough for people who like Dream Theater AND for people who like Pan/tallica/deth.

Actually, I always thought DT was less than the sum of its parts -- some very talented musicians, but with material that just wasn't particularly strong.

That's what intrigued me about this record -- it's mostly covers -- Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Kansas, the Dregs, Genesis, Queen, Elton John, etc.

We'll see, when I hear the whole thing.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

A Change Of Seasons is one heck of an album. The title track is about 23 minutes long but flies by. Anyone who sits it out and claims DT has no soul or emotion in their songs, simply does not WANT to even consider changing his mind. The live tracks (all covers) are great fun and very well executed.

I'd be interested to know what you think of it.

Oh and another good thing about that album: it does not feature Jordan Rudess. I don't care how many "Best Keyboard Player Award" that guy wins, I find his playing to be utter wanking and terribly uninteresting. Don't like his sound, don't like his style and don't like his rotating keyboard.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Do you think there is enough of a disparity between Pan/tallica/deth and DT for that statement to hold water? I guess that's a separate discussion, though. And, for what it's worth, I'd generally prefer a root canal to the acts making up the three-band name conglomeration above. I used to dig Pantera when they were young and hungry and had a producer to reign in the band's more noodly tendencies. Never been a Metallica fan (early stuff was scattershot and had more heart than good sense, later stuff was weak.) On the plus side, both of these bands did rock at one time or another. Never liked Megadeth, though... Mustaine's voice always irritated me, and I generally find the music to be lacking groove overall.

Having said that much, the forum most definitely is big enough for everyone, as far as I am concerned.

On a slight tangent... just because there's room for everyone here doesn't mean we shouldn't be prepared to explain the appeal of whatever we like... I mean, it's easy enough, right? "I like X because Y." If a person can't do that, maybe they really need to re-examine why they are saying they like whatever it is they say they like.

\m/

Erik

--Sun Tzu

On a slight tangent... just because there's room for everyone here doesn't mean we shouldn't be prepared to explain the appeal of whatever we like... I mean, it's easy enough, right? "I like X because Y." If a person can't do that, maybe they really need to re-examine why they are saying they like whatever it is they say they like.

I understand where you are going with this. I agree that anyone can be sucked in by what's popular or what was heard in our youth. You need to be able to get more out of it than "going along with the crowd" (not that I think anyone is this thread has done that at all - just saying).

But music is at least partially about what you feel.

I'm reminded of meeting Ed Friedland's wife at a BassPlayer show. She's married to a guy who can groove and is a nice guy, but who also appreciated intricate jazz. After listening to Wayne Krantz/Anthony Jackson / (sorry - can't remember which drummer), she said that it's mostly guys who like that music. She meant that the music was so intricate that it lost it's emotional content. You may disagree, but I took her point - sometimes music just makes you feel things that you can't really explain.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived