Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Defend the Existence of: Dream Theater

The Bear Jew

A lot of musicians seem to like Dream Theater. Personally, I do not. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in this opinion--all the complicated technical and theoretical stuff these guys do doesn't sound like anything special as far as I am concerned. I think the drummer overplays (actually, they all overplay) without the remotest sense of a groove, the singer sounds like a douche and the guitarist's instrument looks like 10th grade art student designed it for a graphics class assignment... and got a C.

So...

Imagine my finger is sitting on a button that, if pushed, will cause this band to explode into pulpy masses of molten flesh and lame-ass Guitar Center chops.

Dream Theater fans, please defend the band's right to exist... perhaps I will spare them.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Shhh.. I was planning to push it no matter what anyone said. I just wanted to see what people had to say before I did it.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

I am, indeed, a hater... of all things that bear any similarity to the douchebaggery present in Dream Theater. I considered treatment for this, but my therapist says this is the only positive aspect of my personality.

\m/

Erik

--Sun Tzu

I've never been a fan of complicated, experimental sounding music. The bass player does have skills and sounds good outside of this band though. This band though is not my cuppa. Hey what can I say, I'm a simple guy. Go ahead push the button.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

Gotta love the hate on this here forum :rolleyes:

Okay so maybe they do lose themselves in unnecesarily difficult songwriting and okay it's not for everyone, but neither is jazz.

A lot of people perceive jazz as unnecessary wanking, just like a lot of punk or whatevercore is perceived as unnecessary noise.

I like some of it, and some I don't. This thread is a douche, sorry to say, Erik. I am a Dream Theater fan and I feel absolutely no obligation towards anyone to defend that fact.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

I didn't ask anyone to defend their music choices--I asked Dream Theater fans to explain why the band should be allowed to exist. There's a difference.

Personally, I would say DT should be allowed to exist as an example of how to fill a concert hall with men without featuring nude women on the stage... or perhaps as an example of a rock band that utterly fails to rock in any perceptible way.

Call this thread a "douche" if you will (and, BTW, I find that endlessly amusing and adorable), but I'm still waiting to see a good reason to let DT continue drawing breath.

\m/

Erik

--Sun Tzu

Good question. I've tried to appreciate DT, but haven't been able to. And, I'm really open to some pretty experimental and "out there" stuff, and have quite wide-ranging musical tastes.

I think TBJ's request is valid...and EPB didn't really address it. It's not about "hating" on the band, even if at first blush it seems so. It's about having people who like the band and its music explain why. What is it about it that grabs them?

I think that TBJ listens to stuff that I wouldn't necessarily like, but I bet he'd be able to explain what he digs about it, and what he thinks makes it appealing to him. (He does this already with his "music appreciation" threads.)

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I LIKE complex music (note my screen name) - although I'm not really a D.T. fan. However, there must be a significant number of people who are their fans - else you wouldn't need to push a button - they would implode on their own.

I can't speak for the other members - but their keyboardist Jordan Rudess is certainly technically proficient - however - Benmont Tench is equally technically proficient, but sees no reason to fill every single micro-second of music with a plethora of notes. No worse than the uber-shredder guitarists (but also no better).

Music should consist of both notes and rests.

Nah - don't push the button. More fun to see them implode on their own.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Shouldn't this thread be marked OT, since it's, you know, OT?

Not really since John Myung would also get blown into a pulpy mass of molten flesh and lame-ass Guitar Center chops.

Just tryin' to be hepful!

Push the button Frank.

Allow them to exist if for no other reason than so that Portnoy can continue with his side projects, like Transatlantic, with some name recognition to associate with him ("featuring Mike Portnoy of -----" isn't as catchy).

They were on the forefront of the progressive rock revival, so I give them credit for that and keeping the genre alive.

I like a fair amount of John Petrucci's playing, and Jordan Rudess (when he's not trying to play just like a guitar player).

I appreciate their musicianship. Better than just thrashing noise, IMO. (well, ok there are a few moments of that).

And they've covered a Marillion song or two. Extra points there.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

HOLD ON! DON'T PUSH THAT BUTTON YET!

One day, one of my children came to me and asked the following question.

Daddy, what does the word "wankery" mean?

Without Dream Theater I would have had a much harder time explaining. So don't push the button....for the children.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

I'm surprised at the response on here. I always thought that DT was one of those bands that were a "musician's band". Myself, I don't "get" DT at all but then again most prog rock does that to me as for the most part it seems kinda wankery to me.

Lug's got the best answer but if the button must be pushed wait until after Myung leaves the room. He got the Bongo 6 released after all. It was developed for him and then EB decided to put it into production AFAIK.

EPB, chill Dude, in the end if the music/band makes your soul soar, that's all that matters. TBJ's just having a little fun that's all. I'm sure that many bands I like would be cut to ribbons here by the more technically astute musician's on here.

Cheers

Newf :)

I love Dream Theater!!

I love them because they a band with no boundary's whatsoever. They transcend all genres of music. They can write the heaviest music or the softest music, the most simple or the most complex. They set the bar in terms of being the ultimate DIY outfit there is, Bear Jew that should appeal to your punk rock hardcore sensibility.

They as a band define themselves and as such to my mind stand as a beacon of hope in the "business" of music. I admire musicians & bands who stand for their convictions. I also admire People who dedicate themselves to the proficiency that DT members have individually & as a unit.

I love the long winding songs, the intensity at which they are played, the emotion that some of these passages evoke inside my head. They do indeed rock like Bastards!!! Just because you prefer a more immediate shot of aggression to get your rocks of does not dilute the impact that a lot of DTs music has. (BTW Bear Jew for that aggressive kick you seem to like check out Genghis on my bands myspace page)

In many ways I feel that Dream Theater are vital to the world of music if for no other reason the possibilities within music which they make us aware of.

leave them alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why I love Dream Theater? Fair enough.

Because of the emotion in their songs and the message in their lyrics. You have to get past the complex wankery but once you feel it - and it's there - it won't let you go.

Because they believe in what they stand for, they have swam against the stream for ages and have earned their place in rock history. They always plug other bands, be they unknown, past glories or contemporary "competitors" of the band.

Because they go out of their way to supply their fans with what their fans want: bootlegs, outtakes, live DVD's, you name it, DT will get it out there. They listen to the fans. They are not so much a musician's band as they are a fan's band. And for the record, their prices are very fair and ALL their products are above average industry standard.

That, Erik, is why I love Dream Theater. Don't push the button.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Archived