Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Taking the bull by the horns ...

EddiePlaysBass

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

C'est la vie.

Or, from the Harry Potter movies, this line also applies to life in general: "Fasten your seatbelts, it's gonna be a bumpy ride!" (Actually referencing the 1950 movie, "All About Eve".)

"May you live in interesting times." :o

Have fun with your new projects, David!

Strange development in the Dapper Dan Camp ... After the last rehearsal I was all enthusiastic again for this band, and in fact it still hasn't changed. We have a gig next week (9 January) and come March, our lead guitarist will take a short break to take care of his then-newborn child. I suggested to the singer (and have yet to suggest to the drummer) that we continue rehearsals but as a 3-piece, and work only on new songs. I'll then tape them and send them to the guitarist, who can work on them and we'll adapt them once he's back. Before he joined, this was how we played anyway, and we adapted all songs for solo spots etc later on. Oh yeah, come July our singer will become a dad too, but maybe I can do lead vox duty for a while at that point, we'll see.

Downside is, I have started realising that (1) I really still enjoy playing with these guys and I love the music* and (2) I really have no time to commit to a second band. Already, the audition with the female-fronted cover band will be on Thursday 7 January but I have a rehearsal scheduled then. And it will always go like that. So I'm thinking of pulling the plug on that one. Not sure what to do with the big band, I might give that a try just to see what gives. I KNOW I'd be kicking myself later, if I don't at least try.

Oh yeah, important little tidbit of information that helped me get to this line of thinking: I saw a cover band last Saturday doing all the stuff I always say I want to do, and realised that while the crowd loves it more than what The Dapper Dans play, I actually prefer our set list ...

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Glad to hear things are looking more rosy with the DDB.
I really have no time to commit to a second band.
It helps to have regular rehearsal times for each project. Mondays for Band A, Tuesdays for Band B, etc. If you can only spare 3 hours a week tops, though, then you're probably better off with only one project at a time.

Oh yeah, important little tidbit of information that helped me get to this line of thinking: I saw a cover band last Saturday doing all the stuff I always say I want to do, and realised that while the crowd loves it more than what The Dapper Dans play, I actually prefer our set list ...
That is very interesting... To hold to a specific style (instead of generalizing like many cover bands do) does limit your scope, but pushes you to be expert in that style. Kinda like getting married to a musical genre (especially if you blow off the other opportunity). Are you ready for that commitment with The Dans???

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Glad to hear things are looking more rosy with the DDB.
I really have no time to commit to a second band.
It helps to have regular rehearsal times for each project. Mondays for Band A, Tuesdays for Band B, etc. If you can only spare 3 hours a week tops, though, then you're probably better off with only one project at a time.

Yes, the problem is indeed that I tend to do what little practice I can during the weekends and even then. Currently I have rehearsal with TDD on Monday, Italian course on Tuesday, girlfriend's night on Wednesday. That leaves me Thursday and Friday but since I have to make sure to leave on time the other three days, I usually spend overtime at work catching up. I am now also looking into an evening course in accountancy, to start in September. That will eat away 2 more evenings and a good part of the weekend, if I actually pursue it.

Another thing I don't like is that this cover band I have a pending audition for apparently wants to do heaps of Flemish tunes (i.e. sung in Dutch). That's ok in itself, if you want to go down that route. But I never liked cover bands who do (rock) songs in English AND Dutch, for me it's a case of either / or.

That is very interesting... To hold to a specific style (instead of generalizing like many cover bands do) does limit your scope, but pushes you to be expert in that style. Kinda like getting married to a musical genre (especially if you blow off the other opportunity). Are you ready for that commitment with The Dans???

Well I've committed several years to them and to this style of playing already. It's just that recently, by discovering bass players like Jerry Scheff (Elvis) and the bassist(s) for Screamin' Jay Hawkins, and by taking up the electric upright, I have come to realise that I still have so much ground to cover in this particular style of playing. And hey, I can always play "Smoke On The Water" in my bedroom. And I am slowly learning more about how to construct a good walking bass, something I can definitely apply elsewhere too. So as for becoming an expert in this style, I'm about 1/5th there at best so there is lots of learning still to be done.

Plus I've learned from 2009 that my managerial skills leave a lot to be desired, both on the people management and the booking gigs front. 2010 will be a unique year for us in that we'll have 2 births for band members, but I see it as an opportunity to get together with part of the band and learn new material (see above). So Tom, to answer your question: yes, I am ready for that kind of commitment. More ready than I ever was, and definitely more ready than I realised I was.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Archived