Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New arrivals

Aidan

Two or three interesting rather than earthshaking parcels due to arrive today. Here's the first: a new little Yamaha MG82cx mixer, shown completing my new "band" setup, with GX and Motif XS rack...

http://www.goldstraw.com/images/newmixer.jpg

This means I can finally ditch the old Behringer Xenyx 1204. The Soundcraft EFX8 which was intended to replace it is overkill for solo and small band gigs, so will be kept for larger band outings and as a backup.

The little Yammie sounds good and the one thing I was concerned about - the external PSU - isn't so bad. The power brick is heavy but at least it has a flying lead to the mains and the connector to the mixer, an XLR-style plug, features a screw tightener to keep everything securely in place.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And here's the next bit - Boss FS-6 dual footswitch as previously discussed...

http://www.goldstraw.com/images/footswitch.jpg

Nice quality, very flexible and neat footprint, as you can see.

Nice!

I have the little Yammie mixer, and I love how you put it in front of you with the module. Very convenient for these live tweaks you don't think you will need. Mostly I have had it off to the side. What kind of rack are you using? Is it fastened to the 2nd tier?

Tusker, having nearly spent 40UKP on a special QuikLok metal "shelf" to perch on the second tier, I actually went down to my local DIY store and got a loose wooden shelf for seven quid! Very easy to carry in and the generous rubber pads on the V-stand upper shelf hold it very firmly in place.

And the third and final parcel just arrived... Boss FV500L expression/volume pedal. Quite big, built like a tank:

http://www.goldstraw.com/images/volume.jpg

I did try getting hold of the adapter parts so I could use my Yamaha FC7 but they seem rare as hen's teeth, so as I bought that pedal fairly cheaply on the Bay it can go back there.

So there we are - nicely tooled up on the control side and a neat little mixer to boot!

And the third and final parcel just arrived... Boss FV500L expression/volume pedal. Quite big, built like a tank:

http://www.goldstraw.com/images/volume.jpg

I did try getting hold of the adapter parts so I could use my Yamaha FC7 but they seem rare as hen's teeth, so as I bought that pedal fairly cheaply on the Bay it can go back there.

So there we are - nicely tooled up on the control side and a neat little mixer to boot!

How do you get your foot up there?

Nice Aidan. Let me know how the FS-6 works out. I'm probably getting one myself.

As for the FV-500L I think you're going to like it. Like you said, it is bulky, but I feel that a volume pedal needs to be. When you've got shoes on and you're rocking out on a stage, there's no desire for gently setting you're foot on a plastic pedal (like the EV-5). You want to be able to stomp on that thing!

Congrats dude! Sweet little setup.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

LOL Mike, they're my new back exercises!

Terrain, the expression pedal will be used mostly for organ but also to mix in layers like strings etc to add dynamics.

Likewise, the switches will either be used to control Leslie simulator speed or to punch sound layers in and out.

LOL Mike, they're my new back exercises!

Excellent! You'll be fit in no time.

Could I make a small suggestion? You've probably already thought of this, but if I were facing the audience with that rig, I would want to make some extra effort at cable management. Tidying, I believe you Brits call it :)

Good work!

Cheers Mike, yeah looking to get some short patch leads and snake them together. Plus, the V-Stand has built in cable routers, which help keep things tidy.

I did an "ultimate low-cost keyboard mixer" search recently and the Yamaha MG82cx mixer won. Bought it about six weeks ago and love it. I use the mic stand adapter for it to get it in good position with my stage rig. Amazing how large it's power brick is but I guess that helps keep noise down and portability up. I'm using the first two channels w/compression for digital piano and it's very effective at giving me more punch. I use an Kawai ES4 piano for lower tier and alternate between a Yamaha XS6 and a Hammond XK3c for the top tier depending on the gig. The Yammy mixer completes the package.

Nice rig!

Aidan,

excuse the question, if it's sounds elementary; bbut I've got the RD700GX also, and am also really new to digital pianos/synths. You mentioned using the boss pedal to mix in strings,ect., but I can't find(or understand)anything in the manual that would explain how to do this. It seems it would require switching zones on and off; am I correct? Or does it require you to setup the pedals in esch individual setup? This is something I would like to incorporate into my playing, Could you explain this to me? Thank you in advance.

John

Nice toys! I'd love to hear more about the Boss pedal and how well it behaves as an expression pedal on the RD700GX. I've got an RD700SX and have been using the Roland EV5 expression pedal with it. I've come to hate the EV5 pedal on several levels - starting with cheap all plastic construction that typically lasts year or two before it needs replacing - and extending to the ridiculous price that everybody extracts for the cheap all plastic pedal. There's a mere $30 difference between the two! That's $30 I'd gladly spend if it meant I could replace my EV5 with a cast aluminum pedal!
The SpaceNorman :freak:

Norman, I finally plugged the FV500L in today (needed to grab stereo jack-to-jack) and I really like its feel under the foot.

The only slight problem is that if you want the bottom end to go to complete silence, the limited travel then becomes quite difficult to handle subtly.

I've adjusted the "travel" pot on the side a bit which has helped a lot and also put the "sweet spot" for organ swell in a nicer area of the pedal's travel.

The dual FS-6 is a nice compact piece of kit. Because there's only (!) three controller inputs including sustain pedal, I will only be using one channel most of the time, though the second may come in handy as an "effects kill" on the new Yamaha mixer for between numbers. The only slight downside is that if you leave it plugged in, it's on and draining the PP3 battery.

Otherwise, both these products are good value, very roadworthy and will give years of service. Recommended.

Archived