Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who can say something positive about the s90xs and s70xs?

Gas In The Air

I actually owned both the P120 and the CP33. I must say that I liked the P120 better. The CP33 was a bit too bright for my taste.

Totally agree, that new P155 sounds even brighter to me.

I think they are generally making stuff brighter--maybe it's for the kids that have fried their ears from the ipods. Whatever it is, I don't feel the word "warmth" is applicable in today's electronic keyboards.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still gig with my favourite 40lb workhorse, Yamaha P90.

In between, I've owned a CP300 which I LOVED... but was impractical to gig with, and was sold. Then I bought an RD700GX which I a) eventually grew tired with the action - it was killing me; and b) found I was incessantly tweaking the piano sounds ... and once I got what I wanted, discovered it was virtually identical to Yamaha's. Sold it too.

So, I had my trusty P90 shipped from a previous address where it was in "retirement."

It survived a gruelling shipment via Greyhound Freight in its original Yamaha padded gig-bag. The left end cap was broken off, the bottom octave of the keyboard was pushed in. One by one the keys snapped back into position, and Automotive Goop glued the end cap over the electronics. Still ticking!!

Here for the gear.

I still don't see anyone saying anything positive about the new XS S90's. A lot of CP love though. :)

I can certainly see the XS working quite well for a keyboard player that need all the sounds, just not a pianist.

Perhaps,

But other "pianists" might find the S90xs a good alternative, with positive comments to offer. As for myself I find the yamaha BH weighted keys very playable and would highly recommend a yamaha BH action board in a piano context.

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

When the pre-release buzz is significant and people have been looking forward to a certain precise (niche) form and function ... any deviation from expectations is punished loudly in my experience.

Yeah I think that this is why there are so many complaints about the new "S" series. All Yamaha veterans thought that they'd see a big Motif XS screen shining brightly back at them, and those eight wonderful XS faders to mix elements with. When those weren't there it was a big "huh"?

But here's a bigger deal. Most S90ES users are satisfied with it's piano. Most S90ES and Motif XS users are unsatisfied with their B3 waveforms (shared by both) and Leslie sims (very similar on both). So what does Yamaha replace on the new XS, and what sounds and effects does it leave alone?

Corporate decisions like this one just mystify me.

Yeah, I'd prefer the 88 but at this point in my life, that lighter weight is very appealing. I do a lot of in-out/wallpaper gigs where I can get by with the 73.

For something more important I can always bring the 300 or better yet, play the real thing ...hopefully.

Well, if it's just a case of getting by, why not get by with a lighter 88-key, like a Casio PX330, or a Roland FP4? That's where I'm headed, I think. I've got a PX330 on order, if I don't like it, I think I'll get either an FP4 or a CP33, haven't quite decided yet.

You might also consider the RD300GX if its lack of internal speakers isn't a problem. Thanks to the intelligent way the controls and interface are laid out the RD is a much better performance board than the FP4 or the PX. I found the PX's piano to be a joy but the rest of the sounds on it pretty weak.

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

Corporate decisions are primarily based on what the final selling price is going to be of a given instrument. MI manufacturers know what price range a given instrument can sell for, so they can only put "so many" features into an instrument in a given price range. No mystery here.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I've had both an FP4 and a CP33: of those, the one I'd return to if I needed to would be the Yamaha I just couldn't get on with the Roland's very light and somewhat spongy action.

??

I sold my 700GX and went back to Yamaha - because I couldn't stand Roland's light and shallow action!

I hear that a lot about the RD300GX and the FP4 (which I believe have the same keybed) but never about the RD700GX. The RD700GX has the best feeling action I've encountered on a DP with the exception of the V-Piano. I like the RD300GX's action, for a DP. I don't find it any worse, or much lighter, than a lot of the APs I've had to play and it's often way more consistent.

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

MI manufacturers know what price range a given instrument can sell for, so they can only put "so many" features into an instrument in a given price range. No mystery here.

:snax:

-Greg

Corporate decisions are primarily based on what the final selling price is going to be of a given instrument. MI manufacturers know what price range a given instrument can sell for, so they can only put "so many" features into an instrument in a given price range. No mystery here.

Mike T.

Yamaha added 142MB and squandered it all on a new piano that no one wanted.

Its a WS isnt it?

Nope, it does do sequence playback via USB key.

Again, it's more performance oriented.

Yea, thats what they recorded my demo's with..

I also did some gospel stuff for a music director of a church who use the Yam for their services..it covered the piano stuff very well and in that context, the piano sounds very good..the usb thingy comes in handy for them.

I guess I would call it a WS in my own little world..as far as a DP, it wasnt in the running when I got my GX. The yam is a nice unit, but for a piano player, I wouldnt put it in the same ballpark as a GX. Again, personal thing..but I do like it.

When the pre-release buzz is significant and people have been looking forward to a certain precise (niche) form and function ... any deviation from expectations is punished loudly in my experience.

Yeah I think that this is why there are so many complaints about the new "S" series. All Yamaha veterans thought that they'd see a big Motif XS screen shining brightly back at them, and those eight wonderful XS faders to mix elements with. When those weren't there it was a big "huh"?

But here's a bigger deal. Most S90ES users are satisfied with it's piano. Most S90ES and Motif XS users are unsatisfied with their B3 waveforms (shared by both) and Leslie sims (very similar on both). So what does Yamaha replace on the new XS, and what sounds and effects does it leave alone?

Corporate decisions like this one just mystify me.

I think is exactly the point. The Yamaha crowd was expecting something big after waiting so long. Don't think the Roland people didn't care much. Hopefully Yamaha doesn't lose track. First there was the P155 which isnt what people hoped for. And now the S90xs.

Lets keep our fingers crossed for the new CPs.

I think is exactly the point. The Yamaha crowd was expecting something big after waiting so long.

A 76 key board with weighted keys was a huge step for yamaha.

-Greg

I think is exactly the point. The Yamaha crowd was expecting something big after waiting so long.

Direct usb record too

-Greg

A 76 keys version with the same size like the original 88 keys S90 and the MO8?

Looking at the P155: Yes, recording to USB is something new (for Yamaha). But why did they reduce the number sounds: no dark piano like in the P140, no Wurlitzer. Also they cut out the Piano/string layer from the P140. The new piano is not bad in the P155 but I dont feel its superior to the CPs even though it is the new 4 level piano sample. The P155 plays in the same league like the Roland FP7 price wise. The Roland has so many additional features though.

The operative word is HUGE.

Busch.

Personaly, my BIGGEST beef with the xs!! ;)

Someone did a really great photoshop of what the S70xs should look like... i wish i could find it.

-Greg

Rumor I heard is that Yamaha will introduce their physical modeling pianos at or around the time of NAMM.

Oof, my back!

Sorry, just imagining how big and heavy that's going to be...

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

The operative word is HUGE.

Busch.

Personaly, my BIGGEST beef with the xs!! ;)

Someone did a really great photoshop of what the S70xs should look like... i wish i could find it.

Ah yes, what I really hoped the xs would be! But I guess the designers at Yamaha dont drive small cars!! :rolleyes:

Its at Motifator, XS pic

Just bought the S70XS and it is already the centerpiece of my rig. I've owned more then 70 keyboards over the last 25 years including the Korg Oasys. I lost track of Yamaha keyboards after the Motif ES. Never bothered to look into the XS series. I guess if you're familiar with the Motif XS the new S series is not something stellar new. Anyway, I think the new S series is about as professional as keyboards get. The build quality, the keybed. Yamaha have obviously spent a lot of time to get the sounds "production ready", straight out of the box. Just scroll to the performances to get an idea of what this keyboard is capable of. Notice how powerfull this synth is without the usual loads of EQ and FX. I'll admit that it is more of a quality tool than a sexy new board everyone was expecting...

Peter

BTW, i never noticed something weird in the S6, but then, I just play...

Just bought the S70XS and it is already the centerpiece of my rig. I've owned more then 70 keyboards over the last 25 years including the Korg Oasys. I lost track of Yamaha keyboards after the Motif ES. Never bothered to look into the XS series. I guess if you're familiar with the Motif XS the new S series is not something stellar new. Anyway, I think the new S series is about as professional as keyboards get. The build quality, the keybed. Yamaha have obviously spent a lot of time to get the sounds "production ready", straight out of the box. Just scroll to the performances to get an idea of what this keyboard is capable of. Notice how powerfull this synth is without the usual loads of EQ and FX. I'll admit that it is more of a quality tool than a sexy new board everyone was expecting...

Peter

Finally we found somebody! Yeah!

FJR,

You should work for Yamaha and run their design department. Two thumps up. Your S90xs I definitely would consider.

Peter

Finally we found somebody! Yeah!

FJR,

You should work for Yamaha and run their design department. Two thumps up. Your S90xs I definitely would consider.

Thanks! But I really cant take credit. Ironically, I stole the idea from yamaha. Its basically the MO8's chassis.

I'm using the S90XS on a tour i'm going on next week. Its role in the tour rig is straight ahead stage piano.

I'm playing two set gigs, one jazz and one pop/fusion.

For the jazz gig I use the S6 grand piano patch and so far I'm very happy with it.

For the pop/fusion gig I use a piano patch witch I unfortunately don't remember the name on right now, but i belive it's the S90ES piano sample. It works great.

I also use a chorused dyno rhodes sample and a david foster LA layer piano. They also rock..

Anyway as i said I'm going on tour with it next week, so I'll just play the hell out of it and check back to this thread when I'm done and tell you if my opinion has changed. :)

Cheers!

Archived