Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Good virtual instrument for film-score type music?

Bansaw

With a budget of about $500 or so, I am pondering buying a virtual instrument that will help me produce some film score music.

Perhaps something dramatic for the titles and something ambient for some of the scenes.

People have told me about Heavyocity's Evolve and East West stuff too.

Does anybody own these, or anyone got an opinion?

Reaper, i7-7700k, Win10, 16GB, 2TB, 500Mb SSD, MOTU Ethno & Symphonic, Studiologic 990Xp 88-key, Behringer UM2

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
East West has some very good deals going on right now..I like all of their stuff but PLAY is a bear to run if you dont have a powerful computer...Omni of course..I really like Project Sam TS 1&2 and their Symphobia, but they are over your budget. Still Sam Brass does come broken down into packages...it simply depends on your present needs.

Check Yellow Tools. They just revised their business model and you can get the Independence sampler for free, and then add instruments of your choice for prices ranging from 30 Euro (piano) to 100 Euro (Symphonic Orchestra). Their samples sound superb.

I'm gonna get the latter this month.

I listened to the Goliath demo yesterday and thought tha film-score type music was mostly what it would be good for.

It has the really high gloss and coherent sound between the samples--probably due to the common ambiance elements--that I rather dislike for my own purposes but that sounds optimized for film and multimedia scoring. And they were BLOWING IT OUT-- $199 I think?

As it is also a GM type unit with lots of guitars and basses, it is probably not as exhaustive as you need it to be, but it did seem to have a lot of "morph" and "rhythm bed" samples-- micro-compositions that I am sure are intended to be good time killers for scoring.

So...I didn't really like the demos (again, for my purposes) but here I am recommending it! Hmmm, sounds like a kind of skewed integrity to me. ;)

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Thanks everyone.

At the moment I have WinXP SP3, but this laptop only can have 1.5GB Ram max, so I'm buying a new computer probably Windows 7.

Thats another issue: will these virtual instruments work with Windows 7?

(ps: I am using Sonar Home 6XL)

Reaper, i7-7700k, Win10, 16GB, 2TB, 500Mb SSD, MOTU Ethno & Symphonic, Studiologic 990Xp 88-key, Behringer UM2

What are your goals? Are you meeting current contractual obligations, or trying to market yourself? Are you sticking to certain genres or focusing on one or two? Going for major productions or small-budget local indie films? Realism and acoustical instrumentation or manipulated and machine-generated sounds?

I have a gigantic sample library collection as I cover a lot of genres and do work in various contexts (film, live stage, etc.). I have experience with a lot of products but don't know how to begin to advise you, not knowing more about your needs.

Also, are you a prolific writer and arranger whose ideas just come naturally, or do you need to hear sounds to be inspired? Nothing judgmental implied; it simply affects which types of products might best match the way you work.

Eugenio Upright, 60th P-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Hofner HCT-500/7, Yamaha BBP35, Viking Bari

Select Strat, Select Tele, Am Pro JM, LP 57 Gold, G5422DC-12, T486, ES295, PM2, EXL1

XK1c, Voyager, Prophet XL

BTW, Goliath has some real gems and some real lemons. I'm hesitant to recommend it as a first or only buy, for that reason. For me, it was worth the money, because it fills in some gaps and has a few nowhere-else sub-libraries and instruments.

The best non-redundant material (for those who, like me, own other EWQL libraries), is the Hardcore Bass, the Vintage Guitars, and, believe it or not, the GM set, which is way better than any I've heard (but, it's still GM, after all), and which supplies my one and only stomachable source for Orchestral Hit. :-)

The ethnic collection comes from RA and is coming closer and closer, with each update, to covering the most important parts of that library.

I haven't tried the drums yet. And you won't find much useful in it, in the way of ambient material or general synth textures.

Oh, I just remembered, it also has the Big Band brass library from Quantum Leap (or part of it, at least). I didn't like it as well as either Sample Modeling's brass or the brass that Chris Hein did for Kontakt's bundled library though. Not many articulations, and the rises (aka "doits") and falls are really hard to execute.

Eugenio Upright, 60th P-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Hofner HCT-500/7, Yamaha BBP35, Viking Bari

Select Strat, Select Tele, Am Pro JM, LP 57 Gold, G5422DC-12, T486, ES295, PM2, EXL1

General MIDI replaced Corporal Punishment in most schools' behavioural modification handbooks, back in the early 80's.

Colossus was Kontakt-based and replaced by PLAY-based Goliath. The latter has a lot more material and is way better, as it includes Hardcore Bass and quite a few other things not in the original.

Archived