Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ever amaze a non-musician in your studio?

My 80+ year old grandmother visited my place this past weekend, and in a tour of the apartment, she started asking questions about my studio (it's kinda hard to avoid, since there's a whole room dedicated to it). So I sat her down, hooked up a mic, and put down a couple vocal tracks in Cubase (imitating the dominant 7th harmony thing in "Twist and Shout") and she was [i]amazed[/i]. She had never known that's how many folks record music. I also turned on some reverb and weird plugins to give an example of how the sound can be manipulated after the fact. I didn't have any Autotune/auto harmony(?)-type plugins or gear, but I explained how those worked and she seemed equally amazed. It was funny -- I love my grandma, but I usually don't feel like I have much in common with her. But she seemed truly amazed with seeing the basics of recording... I think it might have been the highlight of her day. It certainly was a highlight of mine to have been able to share that with her. Have you ever had any experiences where even the simplest studio thing you take for granted simply blows someone else's mind? Let's hear some stories!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
popmusic, The same thing happened with my father. After years of what seemed to me to be silent suffering and tolerating the noise my friends and I were making. One day about a year ago he came into my studio, listened for a minute like he always did, then when I stopped playback, he asked a question. We talked for about a couple hours. He asked about almost every piece of rack gear, looked intently at the computer monitor as I explained how it all fit together to make a DAW, and asked questions about artists he's seen on TV. Does so and so do this? Did Sinatra, and Nat Cole use that? etc. It reminded me of when I was a kid and he'd be explaining something amazing to me. I must have had that look of wonderment in my eyes that he had in his. And that's why I love him, cause he knew everything. Now he can go amaze his friends like I used to do mine, with his uncanny knowledge of how the entire recording industry works, I'm sure he's enjoying that! Good question for this time of year, let's hear more stories. Sly :cool:
Whasineva ehaiz, ehissgot ta be Funky!

What was that thing they used to have in fake German that would be on the wall of certain studios...? It began "Alles lookenpeepers" And ended with "Relaxen und watchen der blinkenlights"... It is cool when you are able to give someone a glimpse of something they're not familiar with, and then watch the look in their eyes. A lot of times it's like "Yawwwn...where's the bathroom"...but sometimes you hit something.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I play the one man simultaneous band. Digital Guitar plays Drums, Bass, Guitar, & Synthesizer sound all at the same time. The main thing was to develop the drums mapped to chords. For instance a D chord. Kick is Open D string. Snare is D note (3rd fret 2nd string). A note (2nd fret 3rd string) is a hihat. Etc. map all the notes mostly kick, snares, hihats, toms, etc. not strange percussion. Bass sounds assigned to only E, A, & D strings. Synthesizer patch something like a feedback patch so it's delayed swelling but in sync. Guitar usual amp setup or PodPro for direct record, monitors, or headphone use. Play some one liners like. Politician, Spoonfull, Anyway the look on their face when you play something like that is priceless.

I have fun with stupid sampling tricks - especially with the kids. I'll record them saying something like the name of the dog, whatever, and then show them how many ways you can process that sound - inverted, transposed, chopped up, looped. More fun - take a 9-year old, and make her sound like Darth Vader or the chipmunks with the Vocalist. It always works better when they participate.

I made the mistake of setting up a speaker all covered with hay/scarecrow etc. on Halloween.. The kids came close to the door and freaked when I mixed the autotune/harminizer/delay/rev... God even when I was just breathing it sounded like I was from hell.. Most of the kids were afriad of it.. But I ended up talkin with one of the dads and he ended up doing some tunes in the studio.. Ya sometimes I amaze myself remebering how arcaic I was even 10 years ago.. I still remeber coughin $4000 for my 486.. Getting some cheep music software / Midi I/O and plugging my Digetec 2101 processor(midi) into the software.. I went back yelling at the guy behind the counter sayin... "I won't record my guitar man". Geez I was dumb.. Well totally misinformed anyway.. Brian
Smile if you're not wearin panties.

I've had a few impromptu composing sessions to demo the system to friends - usually fine looking female friends ;) - and that's always fun. Non-musicians seem to have difficulty grasping the concept of multitrack recording. Most frequent question: "How did you sing all of those vocal parts on that song?" Back in the days when I used to host more parties, I would occasionally discover folks standing in the spare bedroom speechless, just gazing at the gear. If I REALLY wanted to amaze them, I'd tell them how much I've SPENT on my studio. :D

Archived